Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 940 941 [942] 943 944 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3079536 times)

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #14115 on: July 07, 2013, 11:26:17 am »

I've semi-recently started watching anime thanks to my younger brother (who watches A LOT of anime) There's a hell of a lot I want to watch over summer :0

Currently I'm almost up to date on Gintama, although once I finish it i'll be moping around until it starts again. I'm ALSO watching Fist of the Nort Star because inside i'm an 11 year old boy who is deeply impressed by scenes of exploding people with punches
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14116 on: July 07, 2013, 11:32:42 am »

I'm ALSO watching Fist of the Nort Star because inside i'm an 11 year old boy who is deeply impressed by scenes of exploding people with punches
Might I suggest the 2012 animation of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, then? Admittedly it's more about exploding zombies and vampires with punches, but hey!
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #14117 on: July 07, 2013, 11:36:17 am »

I still need to watch that one..

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14118 on: July 07, 2013, 11:49:44 am »

The music and style are great too, I'd definitely recommend it.  I hear the story picks up properly in later parts too (although the old OVAs are pretty poor).

e: Trick the darkness, dodge your final moment, slip your blade past the cracks in their armour
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 11:54:45 am by Leafsnail »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14119 on: July 07, 2013, 12:14:30 pm »

I liked the plot of Part 1 more than Part 2. Can't speak for Part 3+ since I've never read the manga and have only seen tidbits from the old OVA.

Part 2 had a way better protagonist, though. Joseph Joestar is friggin' awesome.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14120 on: July 07, 2013, 12:28:40 pm »

That sounds about right, the villains for the second half were weaker really.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14121 on: July 08, 2013, 12:55:29 am »

So random question, does anyone know what this is from? Super familiar yet I can't place it.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14122 on: July 08, 2013, 01:01:55 am »

So random question, does anyone know what this is from? Super familiar yet I can't place it.
That looks like a combo of Voltron, Gundam, and Gurren Lagann

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #14123 on: July 08, 2013, 06:19:06 am »

I'm ALSO watching Fist of the Nort Star because inside i'm an 11 year old boy who is deeply impressed by scenes of exploding people with punches
Might I suggest the 2012 animation of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, then? Admittedly it's more about exploding zombies and vampires with punches, but hey!

well, I am a sucker for explosions :>

I also want to get around to watching nichijou at some point because it looks hilarious
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14124 on: July 08, 2013, 09:32:46 am »

Having recently gotten into DnD with some friends, I find it interesting to see other media put Pen and Paper RPGs into their style...
While browsing the Manga Lists, I discovered this...

http://mangafox.me/manga/quick_start/

Quick Start is, as you might have guessed, about RPGs played by some schoolkids during their off time. Done in a 4-Koma format, it made for a quick bit of reading as you chuckle at the different things that they do in the manga, which is scarily like that of actual gamers themselves. Like that really bad roll response...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 09:35:32 am by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14125 on: July 08, 2013, 11:17:13 am »

Might I suggest the 2012 animation of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, then?

Ohohoho, if you will watch it, then you must use glorious subs from DUWANG.

They also translated manga and it is rumored that translation is even more glorious (mainly because it was made by other people than subs, but humor is subjective)!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #14126 on: July 08, 2013, 02:10:24 pm »

Having recently gotten into DnD with some friends, I find it interesting to see other media put Pen and Paper RPGs into their style...
While browsing the Manga Lists, I discovered this...

http://mangafox.me/manga/quick_start/

Quick Start is, as you might have guessed, about RPGs played by some schoolkids during their off time. Done in a 4-Koma format, it made for a quick bit of reading as you chuckle at the different things that they do in the manga, which is scarily like that of actual gamers themselves. Like that really bad roll response...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That looks great. Thanks for the link!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14127 on: July 08, 2013, 05:59:04 pm »

I finally got my copy of 999 in the mail, and I've been playing it a tad.

It's a little bit wordy, as the Protagonist tends to love thinking to himself a little bit too much, but I'm liking it so far.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14128 on: July 08, 2013, 06:05:44 pm »

999 is really good, but it is as you say pretty longwinded.  Most of the random discussions about science or philosophy or backstory are pretty interesting, but there is always a lingering question of "Why are you talking about the multiple worlds interpretation when we need to get off this ship within the next hour"

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14129 on: July 08, 2013, 09:27:06 pm »

If there is one thing I love that Case Closed / Detective Conan did is it managed to get across just the intense feeling of loss from the murders.

Even when the murders were elaborate and against the scummiest of people, it still maintained that basic premise. It was what made the show great but also hard to watch a lot of.

I really wonder if these two detective shows will keep that or if they will quickly move away from the bodies.

Since shows like CSI don't really have that aspect. It almost feels unique to Detective Conan.
Actually I've just had another thought on this - Case Closed is the only show I've seen where the detective may actively takes measures to make sure that the culprit does not commit suicide after he reveals the truth.  So many detective stories end with the culprit dying needlessly and it's annoying.
Pages: 1 ... 940 941 [942] 943 944 ... 2193