Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 938 939 [940] 941 942 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3079594 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #14085 on: July 03, 2013, 09:53:38 pm »

Dear goodness what is with Japanese writing and always making the protagonist completely willing to risk his wellbeing or life for every single tawdry thing? Or who beat people up for the most minor of offenses.

This is why I want a anime parody, so I can at least see this deconstructed.

Boy: "I know she has a deadly disease but she is so afraid... Let me see her now!"
Doctor: "No... this is stupid. You are stupid"
Boy: "Move over doctor I am getting infected and there is nothing I can do"
Doctor: "Uhhh... She is afraid that she might hurt people?"
Boy: "Ohhh... I better not see her then. I don't want to hurt her feelings"

Dang it Excell Saga GET A SEQUEL!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14086 on: July 03, 2013, 09:56:50 pm »

So the next Gundam series seems to be based off those gundam mangas that take place in the real world where people play simulations arcade games using their model kits....  I'm not sure what to think about this. Ah well at least some neat models should come out of it, and seeing the suits from different continuities fighting each other in animation should be neat, not to mention the sidestory MS showing up seeing that the Blue Destiny 1, Knight Gundam, and the Bearguy were in that trailer.
...  I'll probably watch this.

And I'm already thinking...  I would roll exclusively Zaku and Gelgoog type mechs in this game.  And be seriously gimped and end up quitting cause of that.  Yay.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #14087 on: July 03, 2013, 10:01:07 pm »

If that game existed in real life I would probably fail terribly because all my master grades have either missing or broken parts. now if theres a high grade league i would... probably do about average depending on whether they use the same rules as gunpla builders beginning or not in rwhich gunpla  became more powerful if they wee well constructed  and painted
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 10:37:54 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14088 on: July 03, 2013, 10:32:36 pm »

If that game existed in real life I would probably fail terribly because all my master grades have either missing or broken parts.

I wonder if my substitute parts would count.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #14089 on: July 03, 2013, 10:35:01 pm »

te game aallows for a rediculous amount of customizationh in these stories so so long as they"re made of plastic so probbably
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 09:40:10 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14090 on: July 04, 2013, 09:40:34 am »

Dear goodness what is with Japanese writing and always making the protagonist completely willing to risk his wellbeing or life for every single tawdry thing? Or who beat people up for the most minor of offenses.
Pretty sure it's just a general extreme ideal of masculinity.  Don't let anything or anyone get in the way of what you want, or something.

You could argue that the lack of regard for personal wellbeing dates back to the traditional Japanese code of honour too but I don't really know enough about anything to conclusively make that connection.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14091 on: July 04, 2013, 10:27:48 am »

I'd say that it's a pretty standard feature of individualistic vs. collective societies.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14092 on: July 04, 2013, 04:01:53 pm »

Lets have some Manga...

1: Mahou Gyoushounin Roma - http://mangafox.me/manga/mahou_gyoushounin_roma/

This manga is interesting. Imagine if you will, your desire for something or someone. Not that of Lust or such but just the want to have, that odd desire to succeed no matter what. Imagine if you will if this Desire accumulated, amassed into a substance. Imagine if this Desire, Your Greed, was an energy source or what have you that could be collected...
Roma, a young mysterious woman accompanied by some sort of demonic like dog collects this. But how you ask. By granting you the ability to have what you want, she gives you, with the only payment the accumulated Greed, a magical artifacts that can give you the absolute ability to achieve no matter what your one desire.....
But, does it really come that cheep???

2: Sengoku Strays - http://mangafox.me/manga/sengoku_strays/

Now this kinda manga is my Fav, young lead is sent into the past via some means to the time of the Warring States, naturally to be interesting they end up landing in the laps of one of the great leaders and become a powerful ally to that Warrior. Sharing their knowledge of what is to happen or perhaps unlocking some amazing skill they never originally had... So many other there...
Sengoku Strays follows a young girl who after drawing the blade of a special Katana by acceident while saving her younger brother from being run over by a truck one day, finds herself teleported back to the Sengoku Jedai era, into the lap of Nobunaga himself. Though this Nobunaga is a lot different then we all remember him from many other appearances he has given us. The story is set well before Nobunaga became the great Warlord he is know for, before in truth, he became seen as a true threat to all of Japan...
Though this time, the Future Girl knows nothing of her Japanese History cause she never paid attention, and no amazing powers execept what she herself has. A Lifetime of growing up in her Grandfathers Dojo learning Kendo and a Large ability to ignore everything in the attempt to make everything right...
Quite funny at times, and lovely draw through out. Gives a very interesting look into the life of Nobunaga

3: Ryuurouden - http://mangafox.me/manga/ryuurouden/

Lets cross the sea to China in this one, as two highschoolers fall through time into the Great timeperiod of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms. On a School Trip (GODS these never go right in manga do they) to China, a Great Dragon appears before their Airplane, passing through it and taking with it the main characters, a young man by the name of Shiro, half Chinese and carrying an amulet that his mother gave him, and his Childhood (and maybe more) friend Masumi. The two teens are brought back in time with this Dragon and in a great spectacle which disrupted a battle between Cao Ren and Liu Bei. Saved from death by the confused soldiers of Cao Ren's army the two are taken in by Liu Bei...
Due to this, they become known as the Dragon Children, brought by the Skys by a Great Dragon, their mere presence brings great strength to the Warrior who stands with them. Or so it is said...
But there is more to these two then first meets the eye...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14093 on: July 04, 2013, 06:57:39 pm »

I never quite understood all the stories set in the Warring States period of Japan, or the Romancing 3 Kingdoms era of china. It's not like there's dozens of shows and games made in America where you get to play as George Washington as he coldcocks the Brits out of 'merica. Now, that would be really awesome, but come on, how much hashing and rehashing can you do with the same period in history?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14094 on: July 04, 2013, 07:12:54 pm »

We tend to romanticize our European history instead. There are LOTS of games set in medieval Europe.

It certainly would be awesome to have Henry VIII as an evil boss wielding an executioner's axe in one, though.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #14095 on: July 04, 2013, 07:19:03 pm »

Also the large amouts of classic literature kinda helps too.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14096 on: July 04, 2013, 08:26:36 pm »

I never quite understood all the stories set in the Warring States period of Japan, or the Romancing 3 Kingdoms era of china. It's not like there's dozens of shows and games made in America where you get to play as George Washington as he coldcocks the Brits out of 'merica. Now, that would be really awesome, but come on, how much hashing and rehashing can you do with the same period in history?

Have you read the story of George Washington it tends to be soo boring!

I've seen an animated show ENTIRELY about George Washington's fight for independence... and they had to make up a LOT!

The Japanese however completely just don't care about the embellishment. They will give Oda super powers if it makes the story more interesting.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14097 on: July 04, 2013, 08:31:47 pm »

The Japanese however completely just don't care about the embellishment. They will give Oda super powers if it makes the story more interesting.
Are you suggesting that LuBu couldn't decapitate an entire army with a single swing of his heavenly polearm?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14098 on: July 04, 2013, 09:03:36 pm »

There are plenty of comics that do magical retellings of history/ legends.  Abraham Lincoln would be my prime example

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #14099 on: July 04, 2013, 09:41:22 pm »

We tend to romanticize our European history instead. There are LOTS of games set in medieval Europe.

It certainly would be awesome to have Henry VIII as an evil boss wielding an executioner's axe in one, though.

He'd also occasionally take a moment out of the boss battle to urinate on the Roman Catholic Church.

hell, they literally made Tadakatsu Honda a mech, complete with huge drill and boosters in Sengoku Basara
Spoiler: image (click to show/hide)

oh, and masamune date had a horse with motorcycle handlebars and mufflers

it should come as a surprise to no one that Oda did indeed have super powers. and a shotgun. shotguns are cool.

Yeah, but that's Sengoku Basara, it doesn't count. It's a show that tries to inject TTGL into a historical period.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.
Pages: 1 ... 938 939 [940] 941 942 ... 2193