Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 934 935 [936] 937 938 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3079579 times)

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #14025 on: June 21, 2013, 05:06:37 am »

How many of those are traditional detective shows? Or rather clue based investigation and actually needing to piece together things with logical reasoning?
Mm, from what my pal told me:
The Kindaichi Case Files is basically another one those detective show where the usual unmask criminal & dramatic summation of clues & such. I think it's TV series has 100+ episodes.

Master Keaton sounds rather interesting in that the protagonist is an actual adult and is a negotiator, archaeologist, former SAS and insurance investigator. His cases go from the usual mysterious deaths/murders, finding long lost people, investigating terrorists(?), etc. Quite interested in this myself but it's in my pending list (which has gotten rather long).

Oh, and apparently its artwork's from the creator of Monster8)

« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 05:20:53 am by Kobold Troubadour »
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14026 on: June 21, 2013, 03:06:56 pm »

Okay, whoops, it's been a long time since I've seen it :P

Also, I started Attack on Titan since you guys have been talking about it for so long. I'm on episode 6 now.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: edit (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 03:55:36 pm by Pufferfish »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14027 on: June 21, 2013, 04:23:12 pm »

I think it's TV series has 100+ episodes

It certainly has a TV show. It goes by a completely different name though.

Not that I blame you, it is often the most confusing part of anime is sometimes the fans will love the English translation of the anime and other times they will stick to the original Japanese name.

Heck my favorite anime "Full Moon Wo Sagashite" basically translates out to: Searching for a full moon

I am also surprised but it was subbed very recently as well.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14028 on: June 21, 2013, 10:32:02 pm »

So.... I want to ask... for the people who like Attack on Titan/Shingeki no Kyojin, did you also like Claymore?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14029 on: June 21, 2013, 10:38:33 pm »

Actually, yes. Yes I did. I wasn't really expecting the ending they gave me in Claymore, though. Some would consider that a good thing.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14030 on: June 22, 2013, 12:19:14 am »

If there is one thing I love that Case Closed / Detective Conan did is it managed to get across just the intense feeling of loss from the murders.

Even when the murders were elaborate and against the scummiest of people, it still maintained that basic premise. It was what made the show great but also hard to watch a lot of.

I really wonder if these two detective shows will keep that or if they will quickly move away from the bodies.

Since shows like CSI don't really have that aspect. It almost feels unique to Detective Conan.

---

Tip: If you have something to tell the detective...
1) You CAN tell him over the phone
and
2) You CAN tell him in a location other then the place of murder
and
3) You CAN keep your knowledge a secret until you tell the detective. You REALLY don't have to announce it.

Let us add a few more

4) If you have a piece of evidence that you want to look over, there are better places to do it then in the murder house.
5) Don't break the buddy system... I mean DANG IT! You have a buddy for a reason!

---

Wait a minute... Jason Vorhees what are you doing here? Your not anime at all!

Dear goodness how did they get away with it? It is Jason!

Anyhow I started with The Kindaichi Case Files and so far it is just alright. To sort of explain why so far it is only alright

SPOILERS!

In the first mystery the "wrong" detective hypothesized that the culprit managed to untie the body, untie the rope, get the candles, and erase the chalk drawing and get it out a window in a five minute span.

Why did NO one question how, even if the murderer had a way out, it was possible to do all this in that period of time especially without making noise. As well after the "Tragic ending" they really glance over the result.

Second mystery this guy runs away from the house... he runs and he runs and it is dark outside so he spent maybe an hour and the murderer manages to catch up to him on foot with an axe and mask (I know it is Jason...), kill him with the axe... Drag this overweight man all the way back, without leaving a trail, and stuffs him in a fridge.

When Case Closed / Detective Conan had a murderer manage to impale a fat man with a sword, lift him high into the air on the sword, and stick the sword into the wall while wearing authentic platemail... I noticed. Why wouldn't I notice this?

Lastly so far out of two mysteries both have had irredeemable jerks who I cannot stand.

SPOILER OVER!

All in all it is fine, and maybe it will pull up its socks later. I honestly think it will improve, since there are no major reasons why this anime has a problem. Get rid of annoying characters, make the mysteries tighter, stop the main character from being annoying, allow the emotional loss of the murder to carry, don't have everyone be stupid all the time and die in obvious ways, and lastly if they stopped leaving out important information for only the reveal... and you got a good mystery anime.

So many deaths could have been prevented in this anime. I have never seen a detective anime with such a needless body count.

It is the third best detective anime I've seen (of four). It doesn't have the emotional resonance (and awesome music) Case Closed had and it doesn't have the tight mysteries that Detective Q had.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 03:40:41 am by Neonivek »

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #14031 on: June 22, 2013, 10:48:39 am »

Man, I wish I could remember how visually violent Spiral is, or I'd recommend it as some sort of puzzle-crime solving-thing anime. I say that because its premise isn't about detectives, but it is about figuring out situations logically, lots of complex planning, some intrigue, and a decent story (in my opinion). Another issue is that I only caught bits and pieces of the anime years ago when "COLORS TV" was a channel in the 9000's range (which I'm not even sure exist anymore) before it got eaten up by extra-cultural garbage. Since I had crappy internet and couldn't remember where I'd even ended up in the series, I just started fresh from the manga. I recall being told that they are quite different, but I could just be being silly since I'm so tired right now.

Might be worth looking into, though, especially if you can handle a show that has a high body count because I'm pretty sure there's not a lot of graphic violence in Spiral.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14032 on: June 22, 2013, 01:44:28 pm »

Tip: If you have something to tell the detective...
1) You CAN tell him over the phone
and
2) You CAN tell him in a location other then the place of murder
and
3) You CAN keep your knowledge a secret until you tell the detective. You REALLY don't have to announce it.
This happens in so many mystery type shows it's ridiculous.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14033 on: June 22, 2013, 10:20:57 pm »

Dear goodness this is probably the worst detective I've seen in anime.

He saves no one and the body count on these mysteries is obscenely high and usually extremely preventable.

It is actually quite hilarious.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14034 on: June 22, 2013, 10:55:33 pm »

So.... I want to ask... for the people who like Attack on Titan/Shingeki no Kyojin, did you also like Claymore?
I liked it. The manga, that is, because that Gecko Ending on the anime was terrible. But yeah, it was a pretty good series with a good balance of action and plot. Incidentally it also passes the Bechtel test without even trying, and avoids the fanservice tropes almost entirely, in no small part due to a great deal of explicit and implied nightmare fuel. I mean, even if it wasn't a fun ride (even with the minor train wreck at the end[?]), the fact that Norihiro Yagi managed to draw and write a doorstopper story with the nearly exclusively female cast dressed in skintight bodysuits without delving into out of place sexualization is pretty remarkable in and of itself.

It's also rather fun to read (and, I suppose, watch, at least up until the point of divergence) a series that doesn't rely on conservation of ninjutsu to keep the protagonists alive, as they can survive being literally disarmed and keep fighting.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #14035 on: June 22, 2013, 11:38:47 pm »

I liked it. The manga, that is, because that Gecko Ending on the anime was terrible. But yeah, it was a pretty good series with a good balance of action and plot. Incidentally it also passes the Bechtel test without even trying, and avoids the fanservice tropes almost entirely, in no small part due to a great deal of explicit and implied nightmare fuel. I mean, even if it wasn't a fun ride (even with the minor train wreck at the end[?]), the fact that Norihiro Yagi managed to draw and write a doorstopper story with the nearly exclusively female cast dressed in skintight bodysuits without delving into out of place sexualization is pretty remarkable in and of itself.

It's also rather fun to read (and, I suppose, watch, at least up until the point of divergence) a series that doesn't rely on conservation of ninjutsu to keep the protagonists alive, as they can survive being literally disarmed and keep fighting.  :P

Haven't we been over the fact that the Claymore manga hasn't ended yet?
Also, yeah, I really like the Claymore manga. I also love bittersweet/not-happy-endings, and I want it so bad to go in that direction. It's almost there, it just needs to go a little further...
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14036 on: June 23, 2013, 07:38:35 am »

Haven't we been over the fact that the Claymore manga hasn't ended yet?
Also, yeah, I really like the Claymore manga. I also love bittersweet/not-happy-endings, and I want it so bad to go in that direction. It's almost there, it just needs to go a little further...

That was the joke.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14037 on: June 24, 2013, 11:48:06 pm »

Dear goodness I found the flimsiest excuse to isolate the protagonists in an anime EVER!

So they go to an island as part of a contest (held by a super rich guy), it has no phones because "The person who owns the island hates other people", it has no boats, and they were told not to bring cell phones, AND there are no medical facilities on the island.

I am sorry Anime but I am not buying it. I am not buying that this man was so dumb that he would risk the lives of the people he contacted (through a newspaper, meaning they had to do SEVERAL trips to and from the island without a phone) just because "I don't like other people" and didn't tell them.

If one of them tripped and broke their leg, well I guess they might as well perform the euthanasia. Never mind that this is a dig and injuries are exceptionally common. So they could get an infection and in 7 days they can go back. Congratulations your leg needs to be amputated!

Here is an idea: The perp destroyed the cell tower and sank the emergency boat... BOOM! Or if you didn't want that because the perp isn't doing mass murders, how about a hurricane takes down the cell tower and sinks the emergency boat. BOOM! Sure it is contrived but a lot less then "I am the dumbest person in the universe!"

---

YAY! FINALLY it is 6 (or 5) mysteries in but we finally have a character actually try to prevent a murder before it happens. Sure it is trying to stop himself from being murdered but frankly it is something.

It is especially aggravating given how many of these murders could have been prevented in this dang anime.

Why is it such a mystery to them? If you prevent a murder, a murder didn't take place. Even Detective Conan and Detective Q tried to prevent murders.

Ohh and what a surprise another mystery where the villain succeeds at his murder spree. Kindaichi you are terrible at this!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 12:48:33 am by Neonivek »

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14038 on: June 25, 2013, 04:26:14 am »

For all those so inclined, the third Berserk movie appears to have been released.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #14039 on: June 25, 2013, 04:42:44 am »

For all those so inclined, the third Berserk movie appears to have been released.
Just now? Link plox! :D
Pages: 1 ... 934 935 [936] 937 938 ... 2193