Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 929 930 [931] 932 933 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3079813 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #13950 on: June 05, 2013, 06:16:40 pm »

I own PRINCESS Mononoke if that is somehow the same thing... but I doubt it if "Samurai" are somehow involved in a prequel.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #13951 on: June 05, 2013, 06:26:33 pm »

It's a different thing.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13952 on: June 05, 2013, 07:34:43 pm »

Yes, very different thing.
Mononoke is about a medicine seller who travels Japan hunting monsters (mononoke), but to slay the spirit he first needs to identify what it is and why it exists, or his sword cannot be drawn.
So instead of powerleveling giant battles you have a show about investigating, deducing lies from truth, and repelling the creatures.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13953 on: June 05, 2013, 09:38:23 pm »

The format / main character of Mononoke and Mushishi are very similar (in archetype, not so much in personality), the big difference is the artwork style (freakishly abstract in Mononoke, sweeping panoramic vistas in Mushishi), and Mushishi is generally more "chill", though both have a healthy dose of WTF? moments.

If you don't mind that the plot is completely silly, Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls is the harem / battle-girl show which probably has the most notable art style out of any I ever saw. Worth a look just for the art style and battles, though the main plot is pretty thin, but hey if you're in the mood for some fluff, it might as well have a unique killer visual style! Reminded me of it - because it's almost like "Mononoke - The Harem (tm)" with the artwork.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 10:01:36 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13954 on: June 06, 2013, 04:55:47 am »

Well the magical shopping arcade three episodes in and it probably has the most mixed results in me.

On one hand they did actually do some good jokes, and I mean really funny jokes, but on the other hand they did do some really terrible jokes, I mean really terrible jokes. The characters are just dumb kids (emphasis on the dumb, maybe too dumb) and there is no real focus on character or plot.

In other words unless something changes it seems like a Gag Show and there isn't enough for me to be invested since it doesn't seem like there are any stakes or risks. To explain how it feels, it is like the anime has absolutely no continuity while at the same time having continuity.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 04:58:05 am by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13955 on: June 06, 2013, 12:58:35 pm »

That's parody shows for you. I did caveat the suggestion by saying there were much better shows out there. The prototypes for Gurren Lagan in ep 3 is the highlight.

"Dennou Coil" is a good one. Almost no jokes in that though.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #13956 on: June 06, 2013, 01:18:44 pm »

I really enjoy Nichijou, and I think pretty much any fan of anime would too. The art is magnificent and its always hilarious, especially when subbed, since the humour is highly visual and the japanese voice actors do a great job of conveying emotion, so you'd hardly even need to read them anyways. Its honestly the funniest anime I've ever seen, and there's exactly zero smut or fanservice and I prefer it that way.

A lot of people compare it to Lucky Star, but the jokes in either show are worlds apart, imo.

EDIT: Speaking of dubs, what are some of the best dubbed shows you've ever seen?
Off the top of my head, probably Trigun, Ghost in the Shell, and Cowboy Bebop. Those shows are ones I'd never watch subbed.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 01:21:03 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13957 on: June 06, 2013, 01:42:27 pm »

Haruhi Suzimiya's dub is really good. I've watched season 1 both ways.

I watched Nana dubbed with my ex, that was pretty well done.

These two are notable because they have lots of female characters done well, and I've noticed the American female voice talent is often ... lacking.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 01:44:16 pm by Reelya »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13958 on: June 06, 2013, 04:54:44 pm »

Another Manga to check out folks...
Hey does anyone actually like seeing these or should I just leave it be???

Denpa Kyoushi. Well anyone that knows Manga/Anime/Japanese would know that the term Kyoushi is a more, polite I would assume, way of saying Sensei. So this is another Teacher Style manga coming at ya. BUT, its one that is quite interesting...
Cause the Teacher in question is an Otoku...... Ok yeah that doesn't sound all that great does it...
BUT WAIT. He is also has what he calls ADW. An Incurable Ailment which makes the patient to be "A"ble to "D"o only what he "W"ants to do.... Yeah ok not an actual illness I know, but did I also mention that he is actually a Genius. At the age of 17years he wrote a Thesis which ended up being published in a High Ranking Science Magazine which means that it is ranked up really high among the Science Community, funnily enough it was based on the Dimensional Door from a Manga, he is Otoku remember...
Anyway, After college he went all NEET and started focusing on keeping his Anime Blog number one (which he does) and countless other Otoku things. Until his Little Sister having put up with his attitude suggests (SEE FORCES HIM WITH HERE SOFTBALL BAT) to apply as a Teacher for the Sister School of her own School. Things get a little bit more interesting from there...
Gee... Haven't really sold this well have I... Meh, oh well, Trust me guys, Its good...

http://mangafox.me/manga/denpa_kyoushi/
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13959 on: June 06, 2013, 06:13:52 pm »

Its pretty over the top if your into over the top antics.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13960 on: June 06, 2013, 06:32:27 pm »

The Code Geass dub was pretty good. They managed to preserve a lot of the ham; I actually didn't even notice that it wasn't subbed the first time I watched it dubbed, if that tells you anything about how unobtrusive it was. For me dubs are usually painful to listen to, mostly because it sounds like half the VAs don't give two shits about what they're doing. The ones already mentioned were (naturally) good dubs as well.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13961 on: June 06, 2013, 06:41:43 pm »

The Code Geass dub is perfectly good, but Lelouch's Japanese voice is just so great that I preferred it with subs.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13962 on: June 06, 2013, 08:01:17 pm »

Just finished the Bungaku Shoujo (literature girl) OVAs and am watching the movie now, quite nice, slice of life genre, quirky little show with some decently interesting drama and a little comedy. It's partly about a girl who seems to be part of a race of people who eat stories from books instead of food, with all the stories evoking specific combinations of tastes and flavors.

anyone else seen that? (or read the manga)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 08:04:26 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13963 on: June 06, 2013, 08:31:12 pm »

That's parody shows for you. I did caveat the suggestion by saying there were much better shows out there. The prototypes for Gurren Lagan in ep 3 is the highlight.

"Dennou Coil" is a good one. Almost no jokes in that though.

It is kind of a shame though because some of it is really funny, but most of it is "Hey boobs are funny right?". It was when the kids just forced their way into the plot aimlessly without using any problem solving that I kind of realized that the show carried no weight. Even Excel Saga which was ALSO a parody actually had characters struggle.

Though I love how that old woman is drawn and animated, she feels like she is from an entirely different anime and somehow wandered into this one.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13964 on: June 06, 2013, 08:34:39 pm »

Not giving anything away, but towards the end of Abenobashi there are some plot reveals that derail certain ideas you might have right now as to why things are happening: so it does get a lot more deep, relatively.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 08:38:19 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 929 930 [931] 932 933 ... 2193