Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 916 917 [918] 919 920 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3078166 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #13755 on: May 07, 2013, 01:14:47 pm »

>_>

They keep this up, I'm honest to god going to write a deconstruction where some Goku-type who's spent his entire life in violent battle has his growth stunted and can't do much more than shuffle around getting punched in the face at the age of 28.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13756 on: May 07, 2013, 01:28:39 pm »

You could do one set in Prince of Tennis universe where it takes place when all the cast is in their 20s

Where absolutely none of them can play Tennis anymore because of the repetitive career ending injuries they sustained just to win a match.

(It is honestly what I believe will happen to them)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13757 on: May 07, 2013, 01:32:59 pm »

Hajime no Ippo would have a very bad end under those conditions, I think. Death, permanent brain damage, or crippling physical disability for just about every character.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13758 on: May 07, 2013, 01:42:17 pm »

You could do one set in Prince of Tennis universe where it takes place when all the cast is in their 20s
Most top tennis players are only competitive during (or before) their 20s.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13759 on: May 07, 2013, 02:55:39 pm »

Most top tennis players are only competitive during (or before) their 20s.

I am not sure they will still be capable of playing Tennis a year after Prince of Tennis.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13760 on: May 07, 2013, 04:30:21 pm »

This discussion is reminding me of Million Dollar Baby, and how it wrenched my heart out, and then proceeded to curb-stomp it.

Deconstructing the whole sports/fighting story can be great, but it usually results in something terribly, terribly sad.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13761 on: May 07, 2013, 04:40:39 pm »

MY FAVORITE GENRE
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13762 on: May 07, 2013, 05:31:04 pm »

And pre-copyright I guess??
Actually it seems like most of the people were fine with their characters being used, with one noticeable exception... playboy (the bunny costume). :P As such only a handful of the laserdiscs were ever actually released and nowadays they can very easily fetch $1000 dollars or more per laserdisc.

On the more current topic note, yeah, any sort of deconstruction of the fighting genre almost always turns out rather sad or horrific, depending on the authors.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13763 on: May 07, 2013, 05:54:03 pm »

This discussion is reminding me of Million Dollar Baby, and how it wrenched my heart out, and then proceeded to curb-stomp it.

Deconstructing the whole sports/fighting story can be great, but it usually results in something terribly, terribly sad.

It doesn't have to entirely deconstruct it. It just has to deal with the fact that these characters have very real consequences for their actions.

Prince of Tennis keeps flip flopping on its message as it will have characters both say that they will do everything in themselves to win while the next episode saying that it isn't worth it until finally it completely forgot its own message and had characters just go for the victory no matter what and there being absolutely no consequences for it.

An anime about sports where they actively decide not to do certain things because it would injure the player and be heroic for doing so... would be something I'd like to see.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13764 on: May 07, 2013, 06:00:25 pm »

It's rather sad-funny when put like that.

"Hey, if I inject you with this bull testosterone you'll have horrible medical complications, but you'll win the championship!"

"What are we waiting for, coach, get me 500ml of the stuff!"

3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13765 on: May 07, 2013, 06:06:47 pm »

There was actually a character in Prince of Tennis whos gig was that in order to win games he would severely injure players with the ball. (he was the master of making sure balls hit the player)

After a certain sequence of events he tried to redeem himself and used his skills to instead ensure balls never went near the player. It was actually touching and he was considered one of the best tennis players.

Come the finale of the entire series though they completely reverse this and he becomes worse then ever. I have rarely seen a show reverse character development because "They wouldn't be a great villain otherwise" and frankly, they were wrong as he was actually a much more scary player before.

Ohh well it isn't like anyone in Prince of Tennis is going to be able to play tennis in their Twenties.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 06:09:17 pm by Neonivek »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13766 on: May 07, 2013, 06:10:01 pm »

So it's really that bad with the personality whiplash? More reason to put off watching PoT even farther then.

By the by, if I had less self-restraint, half of your post would be in the OOC thread.

3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13767 on: May 07, 2013, 06:14:01 pm »

I have no issue, I have other quotes in the OOC.

I'd love to talk more about Prince of Tennis but I am probably breaking my negative free may already.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13768 on: May 07, 2013, 06:56:25 pm »

Haha, sorry about that. If it's your honest opinion, though...  ;)

3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13769 on: May 07, 2013, 07:24:21 pm »

Well I will sum it up like this without giving spoilers.

Prince of Tennis occasionally gives us glimpses of the show it should have been and often doesn't understand why people like it.

Some of the most exciting matches were the ones that used special moves the least where the actual maneuvering and playing of the game was the focus with less speed lines. Where the match was alive.

While the worst matches were the ones that threw out all the concept of Tennis even existing and just threw a bunch of special effects on the screen. (And yet this is what the creators seem to think we wanted the entire time)

Some of the best matches were one where characters were constantly on the move to try to circumvent the special tactics and abilities of the opponent while they did the same. Making it an intense battle.

While some of the worst ones were when a character just spams their unstoppable winning move the whole time and wins the match. It may be cool once or twice but it sure gets dull.

Some of the best character moments were when they remembered someone was part of the team and showed their evolution along with that of their team.

Some of their worst character moments was when they threw the whole team aspect away and over used their big unstoppable characters or threw away what was developing characters for it. Heck a lot of the team had some semblance of understanding the full scope of the game but they threw it away (Inui for example, the show always hinted that he may be a better player then he lets himself be... Yet that never comes to fruition)

It will erase, change, and do anything it wants to characters in order to facilitate the situation. Often giving characters complexes they didn't have before, altering their skills before the match, or even giving them abilities they don't have... For the sake of tension with no care as to what it does to the show.

Prince of Tennis is a very mixed bag, in all 200+ episodes you only got a handful of honestly good episodes and there may be less then 10 honestly great fights. It cuts so many costs that most battles are still frames.

As well it suffers from what I will call Yakkate Japan Syndrome in that the closer to the last episode it gets, the more the series just seems to devolve.

I've watched the series in large chunks (I probably spent less then 2 weeks to watch the entire series in total) and I can just say don't do that. Break the show up.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 07:31:38 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 916 917 [918] 919 920 ... 2193