Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 914 915 [916] 917 918 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3078079 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #13725 on: May 06, 2013, 11:51:50 am »

And now, let us never mention that show again. ;D

Sorry Reelya, but nope!

I... kinda spent the last evening/morning binging on Madoka. Like, the whole thing, start to finish. I was expecting to watch an episode or two when I was laying down to bed, to get an idea for what it was. But I just sort of kept watching the next one. And the next one after that. My schedule is open today so I have no regrets, and perhaps it's needless to say, but I rather liked it. I'd have liked to see what Madoka's soul gem and Magical Girl power would have been, if she'd just caved to Mami and wished for that magnificent cake. Why couldn't you just have taken us to that timeline, Homura. An inconsequential wish like that could have solved all the problems! Sort of!

More serious-facedly, I didn't go into Madoka with any expectations, since I hadn't heard of it until very recently. I was expecting the same old Magical Girl stuff, but was pleasantly surprised time and again. I really dig the whole "Goethe meets Magical Girl Anime" vibe. I also love how tragic it was at times. I mean, Madoka's catch phrase was basically "That's horrible!" followed by one or more young girls sobbing. At some points, I didn't want to watch any more, but pressed on just in hope that things would get better. The show was kind of abusive with the tragedy... characters just keep suffering and sacrificing, yet get denied the simple things they want, and when they do there are Monkey's Paws everywhere. Which is fine, but it was hard to watch with my guard let down, and my feels rendered all vulnerable.

Also, where I didn't really dig the use of mixed media in Gankutsuou, I absolutely loved it in Madoka. By deviating from the usual clean animation, that scrapbooky cartoonishness drove home a feeling of otherworldiness within the Labyrinths, and built this sense of childish wonder twisted into something horrible... perfect for the theme. Dandelions with silly waxed mustaches should not be so terrifying. And that goofy cartoon-looking witch with the crazy eyes? The one who kills that one character? Greatest set up I've seen for a reality check in a while. And I loved the fact that, after that happened, the cheerful, colorful outro one expects from the genre was replaced by the dark, grungy, and slightly messed-up one. It's as if to say "actually, small girls fighting horrible monster-things would be tragic and traumatizing."

All in all, good show with decent characters, great music and visuals, and surprising depth from a coming-of-age-style story I didn't expect much from. I'd give it a 9.6, would watch again and/or recommend it to my friends.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 12:02:59 pm by Solifuge »

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13726 on: May 06, 2013, 12:11:02 pm »

Everything Solifuge said is why I loved Madoka. As in it's kinda alarming how similar our experience of it was, only mismatching a bit with that first Walpurgisnacht speculation and I happened to agree with the alien monster about practical methods of staying alive.

It was a super emotional experience though and I was invested until the end.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13727 on: May 06, 2013, 12:35:35 pm »

Spoiler: MADOKA SPOILERS, ETC. (click to show/hide)

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13728 on: May 06, 2013, 12:39:25 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13729 on: May 06, 2013, 12:53:01 pm »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13730 on: May 06, 2013, 12:57:31 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOlX77l-CFg
I'll just leave this here...

I oddly enough seen the entire first season. It was alright and for the most I am not someone who would get its jokes.

If I had to describe someone who would love the series.... Female Otaku.

I've seen the whole first season as well. I wouldn't consider the show very good, but I suppose it's a passable reverse harem?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13731 on: May 06, 2013, 01:00:27 pm »

I've also been watching Valvrave and Gargantia.  Valvrave has been pretty dumb bullshit, but Gargantia has been okay.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 01:02:06 pm by ToonyMan »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13732 on: May 06, 2013, 01:02:40 pm »

-snip-
Everything Solifuge said is why I loved Madoka. As in it's kinda alarming how similar our experience of it was, only mismatching a bit with that first Walpurgisnacht speculation and I happened to agree with the alien monster about practical methods of staying alive.

It was a super emotional experience though and I was invested until the end.

Yeah, I think Sayaka had some self-esteem issues going on, which was the real issue. Still, with the ability to completely ignore pain and heal near instantaneously, I can get her whole mind-body disconnect issue. I mean, it was weird enough when I slept on my arm and couldn't feel or move it when I woke up, more so when that hand had a sudden spasm and backhanded me across the face. I can't imagine what would happen if I could just spontaneously die because I dropped a Fabrege Egg. That'd mess me up pretty hardcore.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13733 on: May 06, 2013, 01:05:27 pm »

I suppose it's a passable reverse harem?

Well the true harem is only two members (and of the two, only one is viable to succeed)

So as the "harem" aspect of the reverse harem it is more about a group of guys.

Oaran host Club tries to be a bit of everything.

The female lead is meant to be the "every person" yet is also someone who is "So beautiful that even the girls in her school sent her love letters". She is supposed to be incredibly unsuperstitous yet is scared of ghosts.

Basically the anime at least is all over the place and will place characters anywhere it needs for the joke.

Mostly because in my opinion Ouran Host Club is supposed to be an exploration of tropes and clichés, especially those surrounding the romance animes, and the jokes are secondary making the plot tertiary.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 01:13:36 pm by Neonivek »

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13734 on: May 06, 2013, 01:06:07 pm »

Well of course YOU would see it that way. You're already everything there but a cat. Admittedly it's an important step is selfishly using others but still...

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13735 on: May 06, 2013, 03:46:20 pm »

I've also been watching Valvrave and Gargantia.  Valvrave has been pretty dumb bullshit, but Gargantia has been okay.

I saw the first episode or two of Gargantia with some friends and thought it looked pretty interesting, is it worth continuing?

In other news: currently reading Shingeki No Kyojin manga, and holy cow this thing is amazing. Even my roommate who's normally more of an american comics guy than a manga guy got hooked on the thing, we're on chapter 26 at the moment if I remember correctly.
The clips I've seen of the anime seem to be doing a good job adapting it, I'm just worried about what they'll do when they catch up to the manga...I'm going to strangle someone if the go the filler route
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13736 on: May 06, 2013, 04:21:53 pm »

I doubt this season will cover the entire manga so far.  If they do a second season though I have no idea.  It might do a FMA.

I saw the first episode or two of Gargantia with some friends and thought it looked pretty interesting, is it worth continuing?
Maybe, I have zero expectations after all.  But it doesn't make me feel too dumb watching.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13737 on: May 06, 2013, 05:37:26 pm »

It seems unlikely that Shingeki no Kyojin will catch up with the manga this season. At least not if they properly milk all of the reveals and dramatic combat sequences.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13738 on: May 06, 2013, 07:33:49 pm »

Last Madoka thing. When you first see Mami's transformation sequence, with the colors and the flowers and the cute hop-skip and etc., that soaring chorale in the background just seems cutesy and saccharine, and kinda silly. But later on, once things have changed, that same song comes back... and against a new backdrop, it's evolved into something soulful and terribly bittersweet. Like this little note of hope, trying to rise above despair. Damned good song.

EDIT: Just now, as I was getting all emotion-having and watery-eyed, my roommate decided it was time to hang out. And I have no onions nearby to blame. Stupid magical girl animes. Now my man card = revoked forever.

Lesson learned: No more binging on shows with complex emotional content, unless you're willing to mull over them at inopportune moments. :I
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 07:40:22 pm by Solifuge »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13739 on: May 06, 2013, 08:08:00 pm »

Well remember all Magical Girl animes are required by law to have someone die in it.
Pages: 1 ... 914 915 [916] 917 918 ... 2193