Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 906 907 [908] 909 910 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3077630 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #13605 on: April 22, 2013, 05:26:43 pm »

And I think there should be a one-word maximum per name segment. If you want to name someone Mary Jane or whatever, just make their first name Mary and their middle name Jane.
Of course they could always just stick them together with capitals (i.e. MaryJane). While it's uncommon it does happen, I know someone who's first name is "EmmaLee", complete with the double capital.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13606 on: April 22, 2013, 05:39:37 pm »

Surely a space would just make it two separate names.  And hyphens otherwise.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 05:42:09 pm by Leafsnail »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13607 on: April 22, 2013, 05:39:57 pm »

Like here. The solution was not to give the parents a two-word maximum or something. The solution was for the girl in question to tell said parents to go fuck themselves.
But she'd still be forced to use that name in all official documents until she got it legally changed.
Then the issue is red tape regarding her ability to change her name, not the nature of names in general.

And I think there should be a one-word maximum per name segment. If you want to name someone Mary Jane or whatever, just make their first name Mary and their middle name Jane.
This seems needlessly arbitrary to me. If you want a two-part first name, just have a two-part first name. It doesn't seem obnoxious enough to anyone else to make a big deal out of it to me.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13608 on: April 22, 2013, 06:42:13 pm »

Heh, I don't even have a middle name. Hehehe
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13609 on: April 22, 2013, 06:51:05 pm »

My middle name was originally going to be my first name, but my parents changed their minds the day I was born. And thank goodness, because I have an awesome name with some history and jokes behind it instead of that bleh one.

Oh, yeah, this is the anime thread. Started Moretsu Pirates, and it's decent enough, but I was expecting more "Arrgh space pirates!" and less "We're a mobile nature preserve for the nearly extinct space pirate!" I honestly can't find a logical explanation for the Letters of Marque, unless it just plain hasn't been mentioned. It's not comparable to privateers, as there's no hostile power to pirate from. It's not like there are any explicit "deals" within it; no "Don't prey on government shipping and try to refrain from killing people, and we'll let you pirate", not even a hint of government officials with shares in pirate ships. Hence how I arrived at my "mobile nature preserve" theory.

Though on the bright side there are at least a few Firefly/Bebop-esque moments when they're out in the black with nothing going on and only one or two characters around. Meh, I won't turn down a lightish series that might eventually turn into something like Outlaw Star.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13610 on: April 22, 2013, 09:54:34 pm »

Has anyone ever tried to name a child with a number? Like 10702 Johnson?

No because the law prevents certain names that don't work for clerical reasons.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13611 on: April 24, 2013, 08:06:57 am »

So I finally returned to Prince of Tennis (the long break actually improved my disposition to it) and has this ever happened to you?

I completely forgot about two characters (the female lead and her friend) and when I saw them I was like "Ohh yeah they are in this!"

And yet they aren't obscure characters they are in most of the anime... They are just extremely unimportant to the narrative in everyway (Honestly I never seen a more useless female lead from a narrative perspective.)

Have you ever forgot a character who was actually in most of the anime you watched?

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13612 on: April 24, 2013, 11:36:30 am »

My middle name was originally going to be my first name, but my parents changed their minds the day I was born. And thank goodness, because I have an awesome name with some history and jokes behind it instead of that bleh one.

Oh, yeah, this is the anime thread. Started Moretsu Pirates, and it's decent enough, but I was expecting more "Arrgh space pirates!" and less "We're a mobile nature preserve for the nearly extinct space pirate!" I honestly can't find a logical explanation for the Letters of Marque, unless it just plain hasn't been mentioned. It's not comparable to privateers, as there's no hostile power to pirate from. It's not like there are any explicit "deals" within it; no "Don't prey on government shipping and try to refrain from killing people, and we'll let you pirate", not even a hint of government officials with shares in pirate ships. Hence how I arrived at my "mobile nature preserve" theory.

Though on the bright side there are at least a few Firefly/Bebop-esque moments when they're out in the black with nothing going on and only one or two characters around. Meh, I won't turn down a lightish series that might eventually turn into something like Outlaw Star.
There used to be a hostile power to pirate from; it's mentioned in that blurb about that (Earth-based, I believe) empire their home planet had declared independence from originally.  Basically, since they didn't have a proper space force to start with, they gave everyone letters of marque and let them go hog-wild to buy time.  They won that war quite some time before the start of the series, though, which is why new letters of marque are no longer issued and why it was such a big deal that they get the mandatory plucky teenage protagonist to sign on as their new captain instead of getting someone who was already qualified for the position.  Of course, normally at the end of a war, letters of marque simply lapse outright instead of becoming hereditary positions, which is all sorts of weird.  The series wasn't bad, and I started it mostly because of recommendations from other people, but it was somewhat unmemorable to me.  I probably went into it expecting too much in the way of actual pirates and not enough in the way of high school anime antics, though.  And yet, here I am, watching Girls und Panzer (yet again, on the recommendations of others), which feels like it's shaping up to be the same thing.  That one, at least, is a little less surprising, since I went into it knowing Panzerfahren was a school club.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 11:40:55 am by Culise »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13613 on: April 24, 2013, 11:57:56 am »

No, see, I understand all of that. But the way it was described, anyone can apply for a Letter of Marque and maintain it as long as they fill their pirating quota. It's the command position on the pirate ships that are hereditary, not the Letters (something like Rogue Trader vessels, now that I think about it), and the Bentenmaru is a big deal because it's an ancient and venerable ship (essentially the equivalent to a long-standing house of nobility), not because it has a letter of marque. And my point still stands: there is absolutely no reason present for the nebulous galactic empire to tolerate the continued existence of piracy, much less officially sanction it. The faction that employed pirates, and the faction that they were used against, are both explicitly no longer extant entities, and it has been so long that most people don't even know that pirates are still around. Except, that is, if they're keeping them around as tourist attractions, which seems to be the case.

And hey, at least with Girls und Panzer you get plenty of tank battles. I think there were maybe two episodes (barring the recap/Meet the Cast ones) that didn't have at least part of their time dedicated to armored combat. Meanwhile I've watched up to episode 9 of Moretsu and there has yet to be a single real battle. A long period of waiting followed by a brief, ineffective exchange of fire, two touristy boarding attempts (with one staged swordfight), and one short period of trading warning shots as part of the show for the tourists. Meh.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13614 on: April 24, 2013, 11:59:16 am »

Seems like the Ankh-Morpork Thieves' Guild.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #13615 on: April 24, 2013, 01:52:29 pm »

I only remember it vaguely, but I think the phrase "insurance fraud" cropped up in discussions over on /m/, back when the show was airing.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #13616 on: April 24, 2013, 08:11:14 pm »

Welp, got a 100 and the compliment of "Brilliant, and I rarely use that term at all" on an essay that answers the question of

for my Japanese Animation class. This especially means a lot because the professor is an accomplished author on the subject of Japanese Animation and a die-hard NGE fan.
Got a final paper to write now for the class, probably about the theme of "transformation" (No, Leeron, no) in all senses present in anime and the shows we watched in class.

After this semester, likely going to finish Fate/Zero because I'll finally have time.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 08:50:21 pm by Chaoswizkid »
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13617 on: April 24, 2013, 08:25:57 pm »

This is a pretty interesting question.

So uh, what is the answer?

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #13618 on: April 24, 2013, 08:40:11 pm »

This is a pretty interesting question.

So uh, what is the answer?

I could PM you my 1400 word essay if you'd really like to know (offer goes out to anyone who asks for it). I also look at all of the other characters, not just her, as to why things are the way they are.

For just her, though, I can post this excerpt:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 08:50:07 pm by Chaoswizkid »
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13619 on: April 24, 2013, 08:49:21 pm »

A brief summary would be ok.
Pages: 1 ... 906 907 [908] 909 910 ... 2193