Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 905 906 [907] 908 909 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3077545 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #13590 on: April 22, 2013, 11:53:49 am »

Who are you to tell me that I can't name my child ∀!?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13591 on: April 22, 2013, 12:56:39 pm »

Name your child with a name.  It's not that difficult!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13592 on: April 22, 2013, 01:07:06 pm »

Name Smith? I'm not sure I'd go for that ... How about we have a law that no 2 living humans can have the same first name? That'd make things more creative for sure.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13593 on: April 22, 2013, 02:06:54 pm »

Name Smith? I'm not sure I'd go for that ... How about we have a law that no 2 living humans can have the same first name? That'd make things more creative for sure.

And then we'd have wonderful names such as hahfjdkkskw and hrkwpjmtmtoc110 on test papers and shiz.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13594 on: April 22, 2013, 02:11:02 pm »

The problem with that should be fairly evident. Estimate roughly 100,000,000,000 humans who have ever lived. Even with a large number of languages with different roots, you're still going to end up being forced to turn to ever-increasing length and complexity to come up with unique names. We've got a worldwide population growth rate of ~1% at the moment, which is fairly low (historically speaking), but we're still quickly going to end up just using alphanumeric sequences rather than meaningful names.

-ninjas-

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13595 on: April 22, 2013, 02:45:53 pm »

Has anyone ever tried to name a child with a number? Like 10702 Johnson?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13596 on: April 22, 2013, 02:50:19 pm »

Should've just named the kids Evan and Angel. They can shout the source of the name to the world if they like, but name the kids what you're actually going to call them.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13597 on: April 22, 2013, 03:01:27 pm »

"Number 6, get over here."
"I am not a number!"

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised.  Given that one set of parents tried for "Brfxxccxxmnpcccclllmmnprxvclmnckssqlbb11116" (pronounced "Albin," and technically, it was actually done to protest the naming laws of that nation), and another set dubbed their daughter "Talulah does the Hula from Hawaii" (which was actually intended without irony; the daughter won in court and became a ward of the court purely to change that name), I could see some pretty terrible names appearing.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #13598 on: April 22, 2013, 03:37:45 pm »

I think a good rule of thumb for names should be no numbers or spaces.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13599 on: April 22, 2013, 04:35:10 pm »

The local used-media store has something called Mnemosyne for sale, which I've never heard of. The description on the back of the box sounds interesting, but it also sounds like it could easily be horribly executed, and my time (and money) is limited. Has anyone that has seen it have any feedback on it?
Hawkfrost has told me it's crazy.  It's only six episodes so try it why not??

Well, some people have mentioned Evangelion and Elfen Lied as being disturbing? I personally would say Mnemosyne is more messed up (and also has better characters).
If you liked Elfen Lied, you will probably like Mnemosyne. I enjoyed it. But then again I didn't like Elfen Lied.

It tackles some ideas in an interesting and fairly unique way, but I will warn you beforehand that if you are squeamish to intense gore or nudity it may be too much.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13600 on: April 22, 2013, 05:09:32 pm »

I have few problems with gore or nudity. In fact, I quite loathe the lengths to which works can go to avoid showing either. What I tend to be concerned with is the hamfisted way so many works shove that sort of thing in. The excessive fanservice in High School of the Dead (with the sole exception of the bath scene, which actually made sense) was quite irritating. By contrast, the nudity in Elfen Lied was as important to the overall theme of degredation and dehumanization as any other aspect of the work, so it would have been quite annoying not to have it.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13601 on: April 22, 2013, 05:10:52 pm »

"Number 6, get over here."
"I am not a number!"

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised.  Given that one set of parents tried for "Brfxxccxxmnpcccclllmmnprxvclmnckssqlbb11116" (pronounced "Albin," and technically, it was actually done to protest the naming laws of that nation), and another set dubbed their daughter "Talulah does the Hula from Hawaii" (which was actually intended without irony; the daughter won in court and became a ward of the court purely to change that name), I could see some pretty terrible names appearing.
In the United States virtually all of the states have laws stating that you are not allowed to use numerals (such as '7') or symbols (such as '@') in names ('seven' or 'at' would both be valid though). Other then that anything goes though, so you can be named whatever you or your parents want.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #13602 on: April 22, 2013, 05:15:20 pm »

In the United States virtually all of the states have laws stating that you are not allowed to use numerals (such as '7') or symbols (such as '@') in names ('seven' or 'at' would both be valid though). Other then that anything goes though, so you can be named whatever you or your parents want.

"The Artist Formerly Known As Prince"
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13603 on: April 22, 2013, 05:16:44 pm »

Honestly a part of me believes there should be naming laws.

I used to have a site that made fun of terrible baby names. That would have easily got on it.

I absolutely agree. People are simply just naming their kids stupid names, often due to stupid facebook dares.
I disagree, because this seems like another case of treating the symptom rather than the root. If your parents are stupid enough to name you MS-06 Zaku II or CMC-300 Powered Combat Suit, you need to learn how to deal with their bullshit, not have arbitrary laws trying in vain to protect one part of you.

another set dubbed their daughter "Talulah does the Hula from Hawaii" (which was actually intended without irony; the daughter won in court and became a ward of the court purely to change that name), I could see some pretty terrible names appearing.
Like here. The solution was not to give the parents a two-word maximum or something. The solution was for the girl in question to tell said parents to go fuck themselves.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #13604 on: April 22, 2013, 05:23:56 pm »

another set dubbed their daughter "Talulah does the Hula from Hawaii" (which was actually intended without irony; the daughter won in court and became a ward of the court purely to change that name), I could see some pretty terrible names appearing.
Like here. The solution was not to give the parents a two-word maximum or something. The solution was for the girl in question to tell said parents to go fuck themselves.
But she'd still be forced to use that name in all official documents until she got it legally changed.

And I think there should be a one-word maximum per name segment. If you want to name someone Mary Jane or whatever, just make their first name Mary and their middle name Jane.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!
Pages: 1 ... 905 906 [907] 908 909 ... 2193