Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 902 903 [904] 905 906 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3077412 times)

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #13545 on: April 16, 2013, 04:45:09 am »

Definitely "turns to shit" lose all hope, you will be a lot happier with the series if you just skip it entirely 
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13546 on: April 16, 2013, 06:17:55 am »

Definitely "turns to shit" lose all hope, you will be a lot happier with the series if you just skip it entirely

Honestly I am not sure what kind of anime bugs me more.

Good anime that turns to crud... or bad anime that could have just as easily been really good (well ok it has a few good seasons and two I really like).

I mean Vanguard for example is not a good anime, but it occasionally tries to be good and it surprises me For example:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Don't watch it though, as much as I compliment it... it is also an anime that just doesn't care about its own story. It is about selling cards and it will go back on ANY characterization if it means cards will or will not be sold. (For example to push new decks the characters will often use new ones... even though they wouldn't or doesn't match their style)

While I can also go to Keichi which is a ok anime but never becomes good.

Then there is Kenshin which goes TOTALLY insane last arc. Dear goodness... It is like watching Gi Joe and all of a sudden Harry Potter is involved like he always existed.

I'll have to contemplate it more...

I do know I have often watched animes ONLY because I found their premise to be interesting and continued watching anyway in some vain hope to see if somehow come to that.

For example Dog Days which is an anime about a fantasy world where war and true violence is so abhorred that they replaced it entirely with sports and competition. That just drawn me in so fast! It turned out however that it is a sort of wish fulfillment anime where the world is just some place you can step into and be the hero (which becomes more blatant in the second season and is where I lost interest).

I mean just imagine the story telling perspective. Can you challenge a kingdom to take them over? Can you force them into economic upheaval? The actual answers in the anime is a bit weak, battles in that anime are entirely optional and you can refuse them... As well you aren't even allowed to challenge other kingdoms to do overly harmful bargains. As well most of these battles are not done at a bet, the money earned is entirely paid for by merchants for advertising.

Ohh and the Princess is a Popstar.

I keep getting bad animes but I don't want to stop looking for the good ones that explore these awesome concepts.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 06:52:16 am by Neonivek »

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13547 on: April 16, 2013, 08:08:04 am »

Honestly I am not sure what kind of anime bugs me more.

Good anime that turns to crud... or bad anime that could have just as easily been really good.
Ah, I know how that feels. Seeing a show with so much potential, following it but it crashes and burns in a not entertaining/ amusing way. The one I remember right now on the top of my head was Guilty Crown. It had budget, nice music, good visual designs, and started of interesting enough but the writing & story elements slowly but surely got bad.

I've seen Dog Days...enjoyed it well enough maybe because I've always seen it as nothing more than light-have-fun show to not overthink things. Then again, I'm rather forgiving as long as what I'm watching entertains me enough.

Still...in the end, as different people have different tastes, so is a show's worth as one can appreciate certain elements while others drop shows with even just one or two nitpicky stuff that bugs them.

Anywho, just watched the 1st two episodes of the new show Hataraku Maou-sama!.
Demon King almost succeeds in conquering the world but is then defeated by the Hero and was forced to drift to modern day Tokyo. This world seemingly having no magic & having no skills to survive, he must work as a freeter to pay for his living expenses while also looking for a way to regain his powers.
Odd setting sure, but it's definitely entertaining. Also watched Suisei no Gargantia. Started out cliche' but got interesting as well (been hungry for some mechs lately too). Apparently Urobuchi also writes for this...but the OP looked so bright & happy, whatever could go wrong?. (Ep2- had "no kill like overkill" too. Fun times)
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13548 on: April 16, 2013, 09:07:27 am »

What I've heard is that Guilty Crown was essentially a really crap rehash of Code Geass.

Let's tally it up:
-Near-future
-Japan
-Catastrophic event leads to Japan being occupied by hostile forces
-Hostile forces subjugate Japan
-Brave rebellious rebels fight to restore independence
-Male lead is a reluctant hero/high school student who happens across a female lead and tries to rescue her
-The above leads to male lead being infected with plot-derived superpowers referred to as "The Power of the King/Power of Kings" (have fun guessing which is which!)
-Male lead and female lead start working together with rebels. They fight tyranny!
-Male lead falls into romantic love with fema-whoa, boy!

Okay, so the divergence point is more or less when the relationship between pseudo-Lelouch and pseudo-C.C. is dumbed down into twoo wuv. I'm going to keep my initial evaluation of it as a cynical cash-in.
-

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13549 on: April 16, 2013, 12:51:37 pm »

-Male lead is a reluctant hero/high school student who happens across a female lead and tries to rescue her
Did we watch the same Code Geass?  My favourite thing about Lelouch as a protagonist was that he decided within about a minute of getting his power that he was going to use it to create a new world order.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13550 on: April 16, 2013, 12:54:45 pm »

Did we watch the same Code Geass?  My favourite thing about Lelouch as a protagonist was that he decided within about a minute of getting his power that he was going to use it to create a new world order.
Yeah, poor choice of words on my part. I was referring to the time between him falling into the truck and getting Geass where his thoughts were more or less "get me the fuck out of here".

3. Run Resize Enable

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13551 on: April 16, 2013, 02:23:23 pm »

Odd setting sure, but it's definitely entertaining. Also watched Suisei no Gargantia. Started out cliche' but got interesting as well (been hungry for some mechs lately too). Apparently Urobuchi also writes for this...but the OP looked so bright & happy, whatever could go wrong?. (Ep2- had "no kill like overkill" too. Fun times)

That might be an understatement. It went straight into nightmare fuel territory with how easy and precise the slaughter was.

Overall I'm pretty happy with this season's start although they all have something I take issue with. Those that I plan on following right now include the very creepy Attack on Titan / Shingeki no Kyojin with a few moments of drama that are simultaneously appropriate and yet overplayed with odd facial shots. Those giants put zombies to shame though. There's also the odd mix of mecha and vampires in Valvrave the Liberator / Kakumeiki Varuvureivu which is written by Code Geass writer Ichirō Ōkouchi (which makes for two good mecha anime this season when you include Gargantia).
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13552 on: April 16, 2013, 03:33:25 pm »

I've seen Dog Days...enjoyed it well enough maybe because I've always seen it as nothing more than light-have-fun show to not overthink things

It isn't bad, it just isn't anywhere in the league I wished it to be.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #13553 on: April 16, 2013, 06:06:07 pm »

started watching Black Lagoon, right now i'm on the Greenback Jane arc. I love a show that shows a deconstruction of the quirky criminal gang trope, and how it can change genres inbetween arcs. However,

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A friend of mine has started reading the When They Cry manga, is it a good read? According to her it's supppah fuckin' in depth.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13554 on: April 16, 2013, 06:20:52 pm »

Yeah, the Hansel and Gretel arc was one of the most emotionally disturbing things I'd seen in a long while. Especially when you remember what their backstory is.

3. Run Resize Enable

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13555 on: April 16, 2013, 07:29:51 pm »

Black Lagoon was pretty awesome. My only real problem with it was the action got a bit over the top for me. I don't mind over the top action from time to time but i felt it contrasted a bit too much with the dark, gritty atmosphere of the rest of the anime.

Started watching Sankarea a little bit ago. Been enjoying it, and it had a Shaun of the Dead reference in the first episode. Just had to wonder, how many people back in Japan actually got that?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 07:33:11 pm by Sindain »
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13556 on: April 16, 2013, 07:37:01 pm »

It seems like the sort of thing that would go down well in Japan, probably quite a few.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #13557 on: April 16, 2013, 08:14:34 pm »

Now I'm thinking of Death Note...
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13558 on: April 16, 2013, 08:16:23 pm »

Now I'm thinking of Death Note...
Those silly Illuminati agents Freemasons animu teenagers.

Oh, and Dog Days? Once again the mighty spell "Summon Teenaged Student" is a success.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 08:46:18 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13559 on: April 17, 2013, 12:36:51 am »

Oh, and Dog Days? Once again the mighty spell "Summon Teenaged Student" is a success

Hey! You know Teenaged students always have the most power!
Pages: 1 ... 902 903 [904] 905 906 ... 2193