Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 901 902 [903] 904 905 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3077351 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #13530 on: April 14, 2013, 12:29:17 am »

Giving Record of Lodoss War a second try.

On another note, even though I've long since accepted that recap episodes aren't going anywhere, I still wish that they were done like episode 14 (or the first episode of OVA 3; "Visitor from Afar") of Tenchi Muyo, where they apparently decided "Fuck it, let's make it 45 minutes long, throw in two self-contained mini-plots between flashbacks, and spend the last fifteen minutes setting up the next episode."

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13531 on: April 14, 2013, 12:37:36 am »

Awesome.  It remains my favorite stupid sword-and-sorcery show.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13532 on: April 14, 2013, 04:11:36 pm »

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #13533 on: April 14, 2013, 04:14:00 pm »

* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13534 on: April 14, 2013, 04:20:29 pm »

It really fits eerily well.

It is weird how well that fits

Yeah, it took me a few seconds to even realize that isn't the source given how... it feels interchangeable.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13535 on: April 14, 2013, 04:29:15 pm »

It really fits eerily well.

It is weird how well that fits

Yeah, it took me a few seconds to even realize that isn't the source given how... it feels interchangeable.

There were a few moments where it honestly felt like they were made for each other, though. 0:15 and 0:36 in particular.

e: Haha, and now I've watched the first two episodes of the series that that OP is from. I'm quite pleased that I decided to look it up.  :D
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 05:01:10 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13536 on: April 14, 2013, 05:19:07 pm »

Yeah it's been pretty good so far in spite of the inexplicable lack of dance sequences.  It's also on Crunchyroll which is nice.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13537 on: April 15, 2013, 12:56:39 am »

Ohh I watched the Xmen anime as it was on Netflicks or whatever it is called...

It was alright... I do like that they didn't fall into the stupid anime tradition of ending all battles with someone doing some big ultimate attack that is somehow more powerful then the villain's attack because will power or something (Dang that Anime tradition needs to die).

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13538 on: April 15, 2013, 12:56:49 am »

Not long finished watching Grave of the Fireflies for the first time. ;_;
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13539 on: April 15, 2013, 12:58:54 am »

I agree, Neonivek.  It was awesome in Dragonball because Dragonball knew it was ridiculous and kept going anyway, but modern shonen is just getting stale.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13540 on: April 15, 2013, 01:05:38 am »

I agree, Neonivek.  It was awesome in Dragonball because Dragonball knew it was ridiculous and kept going anyway, but modern shonen is just getting stale.

Well plus Dragonball didn't do it all the time. Most of the most important battles in the show weren't decided by single attacks but by strategy, willpower, and skill.

Heck even some of the battles that were resolved with "One final attack that was more powerful then the villain could withstand" it was often that they managed to get by the opponent's defenses in an otherwise deadlock.

The other thing that needs to die in Anime in terms of battles if anyone is interested (which no one is) is Turn Based battles.

You know the one... Someone will call an attack, the opponent will either counter it or take it, then the opponent will do an attack... and so on. When battles feel like both opponents are doing it while standing perfectly still there is an issue.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 01:11:49 am by Neonivek »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13541 on: April 15, 2013, 01:31:38 am »

dude turn base battles are horrible as hell, its why i stopped watching/reading Shonen Jump cause they all took so damn long in their battles.

edit: my collection of Ao no Exorcist is up to date now and so far i have enjoyed the volumes. The anime however, what the fuck.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13542 on: April 16, 2013, 12:44:20 am »

Decided to do a run of 2012/13 anime, just started Sword Art Online. It's not as good as it was hyped as, but it manages to pull off the inherent nerdiness of it without breaking the drama, and there are a lot of nice little touches, like a jar of cream dematerializing in the background after a couple of characters spread it on their bread.

3. Run Resize Enable

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13543 on: April 16, 2013, 12:57:49 am »

Decided to do a run of 2012/13 anime, just started Sword Art Online. It's not as good as it was hyped as, but it manages to pull off the inherent nerdiness of it without breaking the drama, and there are a lot of nice little touches, like a jar of cream dematerializing in the background after a couple of characters spread it on their bread.
avoid season 2 or you lose all hope

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13544 on: April 16, 2013, 01:08:35 am »

avoid season 2 or you lose all hope

Are we talking "turns into shit" lose all hope or "despair event horizon" lose all hope?

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 901 902 [903] 904 905 ... 2193