Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 888 889 [890] 891 892 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3075983 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #13335 on: February 28, 2013, 10:48:42 pm »

I dropped Gantz after 320 chapters because it became too stupid to read.
Aww, I'm disappointed to hear that; Gantz is one of my favorites.
Any particular thing that turned you off it?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13336 on: February 28, 2013, 11:02:49 pm »

I dropped Gantz after 320 chapters because it became too stupid to read.
Aww, I'm disappointed to hear that; Gantz is one of my favorites.
Any particular thing that turned you off it?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I never particularly liked Gantz in the first place, but I was still engaged in what possible tricks and intrigues the setting could pull.  When I saw that the author was never really going to ever work with any of the actually cool ideas he had after 300 chapters it's like, why bother?  I think I read volume 32 last and when my head started hurting I decided this is enough.

EDIT:
I will say I'm happy to see Cage of Eden end.  I wonder how awful that was.  I'm around like chapter 120 or something last I checked and reading that hurts my head too.

EDITX2:
Okay to counter that.  Everybody should really read Dorohedoro and Zetman, seriously.  They both have awesome settings and characters and things happening it's really good.  Both are currently in the middle of very chaotic events though, which is a bummer.  Those are some of my favorite recent ones at least, Shingeki no Kyojin too of course, but it doesn't have as much to read yet.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 11:52:03 pm by Toady One »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13337 on: February 28, 2013, 11:50:30 pm »

I never particularly liked Gantz in the first place, but I was still engaged in what possible tricks and intrigues the setting could pull.  When I saw that the author was never really going to ever work with any of the actually cool ideas he had after 300 chapters it's like, why bother?  I think I read volume 32 last and when my head started hurting I decided this is enough.

Yeah that is always the worst thing when you are starting to get interested in an anime/manga/visualnovel/whatevera is when you just realised that every cool idea there was, isn't going to be explored.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13338 on: March 02, 2013, 09:07:11 pm »

I FINALLY finished watching every episode of Last Exile.
Made me a better person somehow.
And now everything else will seem like the worst thing ever.
Is the new one: Fam, The Silver Wing worth a watch?

I thought the new one was worse than the old one. On the other hand, I was ultimately displeased with the direction Last Exile took towards the end and the new one seemed to continue with the same direction so you might actually like it even more. It's certainly worth a peek if you liked the first one.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13339 on: March 02, 2013, 11:04:57 pm »

Yeah that is always the worst thing when you are starting to get interested in an anime/manga/visualnovel/whatevera is when you just realised that every cool idea there was, isn't going to be explored.

I'll admit, while I like Gantz, I was severely disappointed when he pulled out the vampires (for some reason), then dropped that plot entirely in favor of an invasion of what are essentially giant humans with a few extra bits. Which was probably supposed to be a commentary on humanity, etc. etc. but I'm sort of peeved that there were so many cool ways to take the series, and few/none of them showed up. But then I started reading it like a parody of itself and things became a bit better.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13340 on: March 05, 2013, 10:01:29 pm »

I FINALLY finished watching every episode of Last Exile.
Made me a better person somehow.
And now everything else will seem like the worst thing ever.
Is the new one: Fam, The Silver Wing worth a watch?
I've not seen all of it, but what I have seen was excellent.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #13341 on: March 06, 2013, 12:39:33 pm »

Just watched this years Gundam Unicorn episode. Amazing as always, can't wait for the final installment.

God I wish they could produce these faster. Also what's up with PSN's movie rental policy? It seems to freaking draconian.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13342 on: March 07, 2013, 05:21:42 am »

I've not actually seen Victory Gundam, but the only Gundam I've seen that I would call at all similar in tone to NGE is 0080: War in the Pocket. Even the darker animes of the 90s, which were certainly rarities in the mech genre, didn't approach the absolute bleakness of NGE. I'm actually having trouble coming up with many mech anime from the 90s with darker premises at all, there are a few, but the only thing I can think of that's comparable to NGE is Genocyber, and that was for a completely different audience and is actually way worse. The other dark anime I think of all involve some kind of hero cleaning out a post-apocalyptic setting, so while the setting is dark, the characters and plot aren't, which is the main thing I think sets NGE apart.

Came across this post because I saw an episode of Genocyber and was wondering if anyone else here saw that. I'd add Battle Angel Alita (Gunnm) to that list. It's a pretty damn grimdark 90's manga and OVA. Nothing happy ever occurs and the setting is extremely bleak.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13343 on: March 07, 2013, 05:29:12 am »

Just finished Samurai Champloo yesterday.

It is awesome.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #13344 on: March 07, 2013, 08:29:49 am »

I'm reading Puella Magi Kazumi Magica now. There's like... an evil cat wearing Kyubey's head or something. I don't really know what's going on yet.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13345 on: March 08, 2013, 12:38:49 am »

Is Fullmetal Alchemist any good?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13346 on: March 08, 2013, 12:45:41 am »

I know my brother loved it like all hell for the longest time. I barely recall anything of it, but apparently it wasn't awful by any means.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13347 on: March 08, 2013, 01:21:00 am »

Fullmetal Alchemist was great. However, I'd suggest watching FMA: Brotherhood rather than the first one. The first FMA anime outpaced the manga it was based on, so the writers had to throw together a lot of filler, and some crazy crap to end it with.

If you do get around to watching it, be prepared for some fairly dark and creepy stuff.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13348 on: March 08, 2013, 01:46:53 am »

I know my brother loved it like all hell for the longest time.
I can see why.

Fullmetal Alchemist was great. However, I'd suggest watching FMA: Brotherhood rather than the first one. The first FMA anime outpaced the manga it was based on, so the writers had to throw together a lot of filler, and some crazy crap to end it with.

If you do get around to watching it, be prepared for some fairly dark and creepy stuff.
Quote from: Hulu
Sorry, currently our video library can only be watched from within the United States
Quote from: Youtube
The uploader has not made this video available in your country.
:/

EDIT: ...and only the first four episodes are dubbed AFAIK.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 03:29:38 am by NobodyPro »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13349 on: March 08, 2013, 01:31:36 pm »

Is Fullmetal Alchemist any good?

Original FMA, up to episode 25.
FMA: Brotherhood, episode 10 and beyond.
Episode 25(and some of 24) and episode B10 is the same episode, but I'd watch it anyways to ease into Brotherhood.
There will of course be some contradictions since the original FMA did not follow the manga as closely as Brotherhood does.

Either way, seems a good way to go through the anime.  The original's first 25 episodes is much more satisfying and better paced then 1-10 of brotherhood.

Intro and ending songs, way better in the original.

Overall, I'd say it is good to watch.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 888 889 [890] 891 892 ... 2193