Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 880 881 [882] 883 884 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3075527 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #13215 on: January 23, 2013, 11:25:26 pm »

Princess Tutu is indeed good, but I can't speak on the quality of the dub.

Most anime these days I think have good dubs, or at least passable ones. But ones that I've seen that I specifically enjoyed would be Pani Poni Dash, Sgt Keroro, and FLCL. Good shoujo that I know to be dubbed would include Nodame Cantible, Please Save our Earth, and His and Her Circumstances. The problem is shoujo just doesn't get dubbed as often as the other genres, and the only one of those I would say is very good or would recommend under normal circumstances is Nodame Cantabile. Which isn't to say the other two aren't worth watching.
I will vouch for the Nana dub now as well, it's quite good once i got used to it (American accents seem to smack me in the face since I'm not American), Nana is pretty good for a drama/romance series, very funny, great soundtrack, and the relationships/characterizations are a lot more realistic than most other shoujo's (or harem romance comedies) i've seen. No cliche tsundere's here. I'm just disappointed Kimi ni Todoke will probably take forever to get dubbed (if ever), that's one series that I think she'd really like.

I also watched Haruhi dubbed the first time, it was pretty well done, and still sounds very good rewatching it even after I've watched both subbed and dubbed versions. I do actually have Nodame Cantabile here as well, i will check that out.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 11:32:55 pm by Reelya »

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #13216 on: January 24, 2013, 12:15:52 am »

Yeah. If Kimi ni had been dubbed that would have been up there with Nodame, same with Bokura ga Ita. It's a bit frustrating because when I first heard of Nana it sounded like Solanin, and that was the first thing that came to mind when you asked for recommendations, but that never even received an anime adaptation. Although I'm sure it's way more frustrating to be a fan under those circumstances.

Also, I just remembered that both ef series have dubs. I can't speak on the second series, but the first one's dub was of... middling quality. It's a really good show though, so you might want to check it out to see if it meets your standards. From the little I've seen of Honey and Clover that was also pretty good, and it's been dubbed, dunno about the quality though.

In any case, I should really get around to checking out Nana.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13217 on: January 24, 2013, 01:29:48 pm »

Just watched Nyoro-n Churuya-san. Man, was that weird.

Nyoooron!

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13218 on: January 25, 2013, 02:51:53 am »

So, I'm considering diving into the .Hack series. The reviews I've seen make it out to be some surreal, dialogue-driven cyberpunk story. I've only just taken a look at a bit of .Hack//Sign, and the main character has been infuriatingly vague and unapproachable so far.

Anyone here seen it? Is it worth seeing?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13219 on: January 25, 2013, 03:18:14 am »

So, I'm considering diving into the .Hack series. The reviews I've seen make it out to be some surreal, dialogue-driven cyberpunk story. I've only just taken a look at a bit of .Hack//Sign, and the main character has been infuriatingly vague and unapproachable so far.

Anyone here seen it? Is it worth seeing?

I like .hack

But I heard someone call it "monotinous and talky" and I cannot disagree with it. It is VERY talky and it was at times really bull.

In fact for a universe set inside a videogame. They REALLY don't do anything.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13220 on: January 25, 2013, 12:19:57 pm »

I'd say .hack//sign was the best, it was talky to be sure but I love the talky, the intrigue, the characters.  The later versions are more actiony but get more shoneny.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13221 on: January 25, 2013, 12:40:37 pm »

It needed a better balance really Euld.

There are only soo many episodes of non-stop talking and not doing anything I could take... and often the dialog just went in circles.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13222 on: January 25, 2013, 03:00:38 pm »

Caught up with Zetman, or at least as much as there's scanlated.  Two entire volumes seems to be out there but Evil-Genius seem to either have trouble finding them or are taking their time.  This is a very well done series and it's bizarre how the other mangaka's works are mainly romantic comedies (he admits to liking Batman a ton though). Totally worth reading.

I also had to upload this page about Miura Kentarou:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The insight, the insight.

You know I've had that Suicide Island manga on my reading list for awhile...

EDIT:
Haha, oh god I didn't realize he's using a cup with a behelit on it, that's great.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 03:03:58 pm by ToonyMan »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13223 on: January 25, 2013, 06:17:44 pm »

I'd say .hack//sign was the best, it was talky to be sure but I love the talky, the intrigue, the characters.  The later versions are more actiony but get more shoneny.

Yeah, I'm an hour or so into .Hack//Sign, and it's been really good.

The mechanics of the universe aren't often detailed, and you only see combat for a few minutes per episode. Even the combat is always done in order to further a plot point. The story isn't really about the MMORPG setting, or how cool or strange it is. It's about a handful of players with their various personalities and dysfunctions. The plot explores the reason they play the game, and the interpersonal conflicts that arise in a world with no clear end-goal, and different repercussions than the real world.

The characters are subtly written, and it's really been fun to guess at the motives and personalities behind their gaming avatars. There's the Silver Knight, who acts as a volunteer server administrator to keep things just and fair, and Bear who plays to make sure everyone is happy, safe, and having fun. There's Sora the Twin-Blade, who plays to be the most powerful character and possibly to be loved or valued by others, and Crim the Spearmaster who, despite a busy professional career, plays the game because he fell in love with another player. Mimiru the Heavy Blade, who plays the game to find and be with friends, and of course Tsukasa the Wavemaster, who is apparently using the game to escape from a fucked up life.

I think they're using a sandbox MMORPG as a metaphore for life, and how we all decide on what we are going to do with it. I'm really glad I picked this up.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 06:20:26 pm by Solifuge »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13224 on: January 25, 2013, 09:23:21 pm »

What I recall of .hack//sign was like that; I really need to re-watch it again. I vaguely remember spoilers as well, which may or may not be accurate, but I'll refrain from posting them in either case.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13225 on: January 26, 2013, 12:02:51 am »

I also had to upload this page about Miura Kentarou:
-image-
The insight, the insight.

You know I've had that Suicide Island manga on my reading list for awhile...

EDIT:
Haha, oh god I didn't realize he's using a cup with a behelit on it, that's great.
What and lol. Might have to check out Suicide Island now as well.

Of course, for that to happen I'd probably have to get caught up on and start all the other things I've been meaning to, so that's not gonna happen for a while. -_-
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13226 on: January 26, 2013, 12:17:00 am »

Started watching Excel Saga recently (up to episode 7), and recalled someone here comparing it to Gunslinger Girl. I'm not really seeing any relationship to that myself.

Excel Saga definitely has 90's style random anime humor, the closest thing I've seen to it would most definitely be Catgirl Nuku Nuku (especially the 12 episode TV version). Points in common being the two evil organizations bent on worldwide domination (Mishima Heavy Industries vs ACROSS), but relying on incompetent female agents, and bizarre ludicrous plans. Also, Nuku Nuku is fairly similar in personality and intelligence to Excel.

Apparenlty i'm not the first to notice the similarities in these two shows. Hell Mishima vs Lord Ilpalazzo:

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13227 on: January 26, 2013, 02:14:08 am »

I will say that Excel Saga DOES parody, and parody well, Gunslinger girl YEARS before it was actually made.

It is the weirdest coincidence ever and actually gets at the heart of my issue with Gunslinger Girl.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13228 on: January 26, 2013, 02:25:39 am »

(Let me finish Excel Saga first coz of spoilers), then u can explain to me the connection, because I'm just not seeing any similarity at all?

Excel isn't a cyborg, she doesn't work for a clandestine government agency, the girls aren't paired with a handler, backstory is totally different. "Female agent of shady organization" is about the only link i can think of. And that might as well make it a parody of an old-school manga like 009-1 or Ghost In The Shell, as much as Gunslinger Girl.

So, what specifically makes it a retrospective parody of Gunslinger-Girl as opposed to those other series?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 02:37:50 am by Reelya »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13229 on: January 26, 2013, 02:27:03 am »

(Let me finish Excel Saga first coz of spoilers), then u can explain to me the connection, because I'm just not seeing any similarity at all?
Excel Saga parodies everything, therefore it retroactively parodies stuff that came after it too.
Pages: 1 ... 880 881 [882] 883 884 ... 2193