Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 879 880 [881] 882 883 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3075445 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #13200 on: January 23, 2013, 11:43:45 am »

Most anime these days I think have good dubs, or at least passable ones

I wish my favorite anime didn't have an unhillariously terrible dub... that is also incomplete... and for some weird reason people gave it good reviews inspite being terrible.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #13201 on: January 23, 2013, 04:05:38 pm »

FMA and FMA:B have pretty good dubs, in my opinion (which ruined the voice actor for Ed, because he can only sound like Edward which can get pretty irritating when working on other series). Watch FMA:B over FMA, of course.
I would recommend watching them both. They are both good series, even if FMA:B is more faithful to the manga, and a lot of the scenes that were featured in both were done a bit better in FMA (dramatically speaking) in my opinion. I'd recommend watching FMA first because the major plot points they have in common (mostly the first season of FMA:B) are revealed in a more satisfying manner in that series.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13202 on: January 23, 2013, 04:18:23 pm »

Hunter X Hunter...  There is a reboot going on, Hunter X Hunter 2011 and it ties up all the separately scattered arcs.  Up to around episode 60-ish now, hitting up Greed Island.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13203 on: January 23, 2013, 05:50:48 pm »

FMA and FMA:B have pretty good dubs, in my opinion (which ruined the voice actor for Ed, because he can only sound like Edward which can get pretty irritating when working on other series). Watch FMA:B over FMA, of course.
I would recommend watching them both. They are both good series, even if FMA:B is more faithful to the manga, and a lot of the scenes that were featured in both were done a bit better in FMA (dramatically speaking) in my opinion. I'd recommend watching FMA first because the major plot points they have in common (mostly the first season of FMA:B) are revealed in a more satisfying manner in that series.
From what i am told, watch FMA halfway until you reach the death of someone important that i cant remember, then you can continue on with Brotherhood.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13204 on: January 23, 2013, 06:16:45 pm »

FMA:B got on my nerves, it felt incredibly Shoneny while FMA:A felt just right for the subject matter.  Then again, I should go watch FMA:A again 'cause it's been a while.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13205 on: January 23, 2013, 06:17:25 pm »

FMA is a shounen series.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13206 on: January 23, 2013, 08:39:40 pm »

FMA is a shounen series.
Shingeki no Kyojin is a shounen series. 

e:
Oh no I refuted a point that didn't exist.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 08:41:55 pm by ToonyMan »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13207 on: January 23, 2013, 08:56:31 pm »

I will say that FMA DOES borrow a lot of the tropes of Shounen... but that is sort of the point.

It is like a "Dark" Shounen.

So someone confusing it for one isn't really that surprising.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13208 on: January 23, 2013, 09:00:45 pm »

Honestly, it's not any darker than the average for shonen, especially if you're looking at all the underlying implications. Possibly even if you exclude ones with societies which are obviously unviable (resulting from author apathy, most of the time).

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13209 on: January 23, 2013, 09:06:50 pm »

FMA is a shounen series.
Shingeki no Kyojin is a shounen series. 
...Yes?
I'm not quite certain what point you're trying to make.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #13210 on: January 23, 2013, 09:15:31 pm »

Fullmetal Alchemist is shounen though. It was published in a shounen magazine and marketed towards boys. Remember stuff like Anohana, Death Note, and Great Teacher Onizuka are shounen too. It's not all mindless fighting anime.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13211 on: January 23, 2013, 09:21:06 pm »

Fullmetal Alchemist is shounen though. It was published in a shounen magazine and marketed towards boys. Remember stuff like Anohana, Death Note, and Great Teacher Onizuka are shounen too. It's not all mindless fighting anime.

Ohh my mistake. No I am not saying Shounen is mindless, I just thought it was established that a Shounen anime (and not just things made by Shounen jump) is simply a designation over what it is marketed to.

I swear I REALLY SWEAR if it turns out Shounen is a meaningless designation, I'll be pissed!

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #13212 on: January 23, 2013, 09:35:16 pm »

Ohh my mistake. No I am not saying Shounen is mindless, I just thought it was established that a Shounen anime (and not just things made by Shounen jump) is simply a designation over what it is marketed to.
It is. Something is shounen if it was published in a shounen magazine or was aired during shounen hours. Fullmetal Alchemist was published in Monthly Shounen Gangan, so it was shounen.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13213 on: January 23, 2013, 09:37:20 pm »

It is a meaningless designation. I know people (okay, one person) who watch/read Death Note who aren't (is) the target demographic.

E: NIIIINJAAAAA!!!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13214 on: January 23, 2013, 09:41:22 pm »

It is a meaningless designation. I know people (okay, one person) who watch/read Death Note who aren't (is) the target demographic.

E: NIIIINJAAAAA!!!

Well Sponge Bob Squarepants has a large adult following (same with... Fineas and Ferb), yet they are marketed towards children.

THOUGH... sometimes you wonder.
Pages: 1 ... 879 880 [881] 882 883 ... 2193