Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 878 879 [880] 881 882 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3075455 times)

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #13185 on: January 21, 2013, 07:13:07 pm »

It's too late for me now

It's suprising how much angst one animation studio can fit in twenty minutes. Ridiculous.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #13186 on: January 21, 2013, 07:28:21 pm »

Watch the series, then the movies.The movies are pretty clearly intended to be watched after the series.
Spoiler: big spoilers (click to show/hide)

Oh god, EOE3 is out, isn't it?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 07:30:00 pm by penguinofhonor »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13187 on: January 21, 2013, 07:31:42 pm »

Looking for suggestions: I finally got my one ex-g/f who i'm still friends with watching some anime, and she's really enjoying it! I put her onto Nana, which turned out to be a great choice and she's interested to watch more shows now. The only thing is, she is dyslexic + has bad eyesight, so that completely rules out subs for her, so anything would need to be dubbed (I watch most things subbed so I'm not up on which shows have the best dubs). She likes TV shows like Supernatural, Being Human, Lost, Firefly, Buffy, as well as the girlie-stuff.

I'm going to try out Haruhi Suzimiya, Baccano, Cowboy Beebop, Death Note & Hellsing, and a few other ones (including the 'Supernatural' anime). Any recommendations of other series with really good dubs she might like? Especially intelligent Shoujo ones like Nana, i don't know so much about that genre.

(EDIT: btw what are the dubbed versions of FMA like? She mentioned she got into Avatar:TLA when it was on TV here as well, so she might like something like that)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 07:47:12 pm by Reelya »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13188 on: January 21, 2013, 07:37:11 pm »

Watch the series, then the movies.The movies are pretty clearly intended to be watched after the series.

well 1 and 2 are suppose to be remakes and 3 is the sequel (3 is out in japan, don't expect a american release for maybe another year)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #13189 on: January 21, 2013, 08:24:09 pm »

well 1 and 2 are suppose to be remakes and 3 is the sequel (3 is out in japan, don't expect a american release for maybe another year)
Nope 1 and 2 start out appearing like remakes but turn out to be more like an AU.
It's FEF, not FEOF

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #13190 on: January 21, 2013, 08:34:32 pm »

Yeah. It's more subtle earlier in the rebuild series, but they change some pretty significant things that you're supposed to notice and be like "Wait what's going on here" like how they're afraid of Third Impact instead of Second Impact.

I think this is why I like Eva. It has all this crazy Homestuck-level bullshit that you've got to keep track of to get the whole scope of things, and even then you only sort of grasp what's going on.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13191 on: January 22, 2013, 09:59:07 pm »

I'm on volume 16 of Zetman, this is getting insane.  I'm going to catch up soon.  :[

Guess I'll have to---woah there's an anime??  That sounds fun to watch.  SUPERHEROES

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #13192 on: January 23, 2013, 07:00:18 am »

Please watch the movies instead of the series, you would be less mindfucked.

Bad Tellemurius. Recommending the Rebuild series that's not even finished yet in order to replace the anime. You should be ashamed.

Yeah, but not out for NA. I've been keeping track of the... uh... "private localization", and so far, there is an entire audio maybe-maybe-not-legitimate recording that has been translated. However, there hasn't been much progress... "obtaining"... the visuals. The best so far is small bits and pieces of poor quality, and the desperate need for people in NA to watch it has some people actually wanting to Frankenstein what's actually laying around on the net and time it to the audio and translated subs.

My suggestion is just to wait until it's released in NA. There was a "pre-release" for 2.02 that people went for, but honestly the movie is so much better seen off of disc.

Looking for suggestions: I finally got my one ex-g/f who i'm still friends with watching some anime, and she's really enjoying it! I put her onto Nana, which turned out to be a great choice and she's interested to watch more shows now. The only thing is, she is dyslexic + has bad eyesight, so that completely rules out subs for her, so anything would need to be dubbed (I watch most things subbed so I'm not up on which shows have the best dubs). She likes TV shows like Supernatural, Being Human, Lost, Firefly, Buffy, as well as the girlie-stuff.

I'm going to try out Haruhi Suzimiya, Baccano, Cowboy Beebop, Death Note & Hellsing, and a few other ones (including the 'Supernatural' anime). Any recommendations of other series with really good dubs she might like? Especially intelligent Shoujo ones like Nana, i don't know so much about that genre.

(EDIT: btw what are the dubbed versions of FMA like? She mentioned she got into Avatar:TLA when it was on TV here as well, so she might like something like that)

K-On! might be a good choice, though I don't know about the dubs, sorry. Cowboy Bebop has amazing dubs. FMA and FMA:B have pretty good dubs, in my opinion (which ruined the voice actor for Ed, because he can only sound like Edward which can get pretty irritating when working on other series). Watch FMA:B over FMA, of course. Spiral might be a good choice as well, the dubs never bothered me (though I watched it when I was younger) and it's got that cool supernatural+logic thing going on. Maybe Rave Master and Fairy Tale? Those are usually popular with the girls (even if Fairy Tale is like 'hey, look! fanservice! hurray!'). I'm not aware of many shoujo series and even less aware of good dubbed ones.
Another really popular one is Fruits Basket, although I wouldn't touch the mouse that has the cursor over an internet link of an episode of it with a ten foot pole.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 07:03:16 am by Chaoswizkid »
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13193 on: January 23, 2013, 07:15:34 am »

K-On is never a good choice.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #13194 on: January 23, 2013, 07:19:52 am »

K-On is never a good choice.

I enjoyed it. It was all cutesy slice of life, and I thought that the songs were actually not bad (except for the horrifyingly atrocious lyrics, eurgharhbhgdakl). Shows how much I know, though, because apparently they are bad (and intentionally so).

Not sure if this has been linked before or not, or if most people have seen this, but I've recently been made aware of it and it's quite a fun article:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 07:36:54 am by Chaoswizkid »
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13195 on: January 23, 2013, 07:31:27 am »

Princess Tutu has a decent dub and should fit well with those preferences and recommendations. It's basically fairy-tales, meta and Tchaikovsky.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13196 on: January 23, 2013, 07:34:51 am »

Yes I will vouch for Princess Tutu

I watched it expecting cheesyness and a lot of Ballet knowledge (actually I think I started watching it because I LOVED its opening theme and I wanted to learn about Ballet)

but honestly... It is actually probably one of the most artistic animes you will ever watch without it being pretentious, confusing, or bad.

It really would go on my list of must see animes.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13197 on: January 23, 2013, 10:08:44 am »

Hey, EvE was tough, NGE was insane, Rebuild seems to be bridging for me. Hey its my preference anyways.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #13198 on: January 23, 2013, 10:24:54 am »

Princess Tutu is indeed good, but I can't speak on the quality of the dub.

Most anime these days I think have good dubs, or at least passable ones. But ones that I've seen that I specifically enjoyed would be Pani Poni Dash, Sgt Keroro, and FLCL. Good shoujo that I know to be dubbed would include Nodame Cantible, Please Save our Earth, and His and Her Circumstances. The problem is shoujo just doesn't get dubbed as often as the other genres, and the only one of those I would say is very good or would recommend under normal circumstances is Nodame Cantabile. Which isn't to say the other two aren't worth watching.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13199 on: January 23, 2013, 10:28:04 am »

The world only God Knows seems to be keeping my interest
Pages: 1 ... 878 879 [880] 881 882 ... 2193