Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 854 855 [856] 857 858 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3074791 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #12825 on: November 20, 2012, 09:30:11 pm »

I could recommend Hunter X Hunter (2011).  The original got ahead of the manga I believe and ended up spawning OVA or what-have-you of the manga's stories later.
The new 2011 version is still in the running now.  (The Manga is still running, went to a weird place last I updated myself to it, but meh.)

I guess it is like Full Metal Alchemist, which got ahead of the manga source and went a different direction.  FMA: Brotherhood.

...  I want the Claymore anime to get 'remade'.  I still follow the manga. 
Fun Fact: They released a buncha songs sung by the voice actors.  Most if not all the major characters have their own stylized song.  Most of em are rap style though, not a favorite of mine, but yea...  I lurve the Priscilla song the most...
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 09:31:49 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12826 on: November 20, 2012, 10:16:08 pm »

Another one I'd recommend is "higurashi no naku koro ni", which is basically a huge "whodunnit" mystery about a series of bizarre murders, that takes two seasons to unravel the truth with lots of inexplicable (at first) mind-fuckery.

Not without it's flaws (toonyman would say it doesn't do justice to the source material), but it definitely ranks as one of the more interesting, convoluted and original series. (definitely one to avoid reading anymore about and just go in blind and try and work out what's happening by yourself).

You forgot to mention the ludicrous amounts of...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(not rly a spoiler, but if you like being surprised and going in blind...). I watched this anime all the way through with a friend... the only recommendation for it i can give is that its entirely bonkers and even if you dont like it at all you'll probably keep watching.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12827 on: November 20, 2012, 10:55:28 pm »

In the past couple of weeks I've become a very large fan of Baccano!

Given my past experiences in this thread, it's probably also something that Toony hates. SO BE IT. I LOVE IT.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12828 on: November 20, 2012, 11:15:20 pm »

Nah, i can't see anyone hating Baccano!

Once you finish Baccano, it's imperative that you watch Durarara! It's by the same original author AND the same director, that's all I'll say.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 11:21:03 pm by Reelya »

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12829 on: November 21, 2012, 08:38:33 am »

Nah, i can't see anyone hating Baccano!

Once you finish Baccano, it's imperative that you watch Durarara! It's by the same original author AND the same director, that's all I'll say.

Loved baccano, will be giving durarara a try, thanks. Been looking for something new in that style to watch.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12830 on: November 21, 2012, 08:43:18 am »

ahh forgot to mention watch at least 1 episode of Spice And Wolf before Durarara!, it will make one of the episode 1 cameos make sense.

There's a crew of "otaku" characters in Durarara! who are walking anime/manga/light-novel reference machines. One of the games you can play is to see how much of their ranting & merch you can recognize.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 08:48:31 am by Reelya »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12831 on: November 21, 2012, 08:53:17 am »

Baccano! was pretty fun.  Still one of my favourite OPs, kindof fell apart in terms of conclusion and structure though.

I would have watched Durarara! but I remember a very damning post by Josh that caused me to lose interest.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12832 on: November 21, 2012, 09:03:57 am »

Hello Anime thread, do you do recommendations?
So far I have really enjoyed Bakemonogatari, xxxHolic was good, and Death Note was alright. Most other things I have seen are some what unimpressive all around.
Can you impress me?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12833 on: November 21, 2012, 09:10:25 am »

Max - try "Natsume Yuujinchou", "Bakuman", "Steins;Gate"

That one Baccano! is well worth checking out

Macross Zero or Yukikaze if you want short mecha series.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 09:16:29 am by Reelya »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12834 on: November 21, 2012, 09:12:15 am »

Katanagatari is by the same author as Bakemonogatari but it's probably better.  Formulaic as hell but pretty well written other than the female lead (which you should be able to tolerate if you liked Bakemonogatari).

Other than that there's the three or four anime series we recommend every page
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 09:35:14 am by Leafsnail »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12835 on: November 21, 2012, 09:15:13 am »

which you should be able to tolerate if you iked Bakemonogatari
Oh come on, she wasn't that bad... Really... In context.
IT WORKED OK?!?

:P

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12836 on: November 21, 2012, 09:21:43 am »

-whatthehelllag?-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 09:29:30 am by New Guy »
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12837 on: November 21, 2012, 12:18:56 pm »

I'm about halfway through an anime called Rideback that I'm liking so far.  I started watching it after reading this hilarious premise:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Turned out to be surprisingly not terrible.  Still have 6 episodes to go though, so maybe it gets worse.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12838 on: November 21, 2012, 12:48:29 pm »

In the past couple of weeks I've become a very large fan of Baccano!
Given my past experiences in this thread, it's probably also something that Toony hates. SO BE IT. I LOVE IT.
I hate everything??  I tolerate so much crap.  Baccano! was one of my first real anime and it's pretty good.

I would have watched Durarara! but I remember a very damning post by Josh that caused me to lose interest.
I watched Durarara!! with Josh and it certainly lacks what Baccano! has.  It's not terrible though but the side characters are just way too good but never get screen time.  If you have further interest I would read the LNs (which I still haven't done).

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12839 on: November 21, 2012, 03:25:35 pm »

Hello Anime thread, do you do recommendations?
So far I have really enjoyed Bakemonogatari, xxxHolic was good, and Death Note was alright. Most other things I have seen are some what unimpressive all around.
Can you impress me?
If you really enjoyed Bakemonogatari, there's also Nisemonogatari. The mentioned Kataqnagatari is also made by the same author, and is better than Bakemonogatari in my opinion.

Mononoke is super recommended if you liked the monster aspect of Bakemonogatari, since the Medicine Seller of Mononoke operates in a similar way to Meme in regards to finding out the nature of whatever supernatural BS is happening.

If you liked the banter, Tatami Galaxy completely beats out Bakemonogatari in my opinion, but that may be because I don't get half the jokes/puns in Bakemonogatari. More uniquely, the banter in Tatami Galaxy is usually in the protagonist's head, with himself, and he's much more deadpan compared to Araragi and his harem.
Pages: 1 ... 854 855 [856] 857 858 ... 2193