Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 851 852 [853] 854 855 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3075209 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #12780 on: October 30, 2012, 09:53:34 pm »

Rosario+Vampire is another one which wasted a pretty cool premise, though i never checked out the manga so i can't comment on that.

I've just started watching Hyouka because of an AMV someone made which looked interesting, I didn't have much expectation of it because the promo art looked like typical moe-blob territory like K-On (and it is in fact made by KyoAni). I have to say, it has some great writing and some really nice animation work (and refreshingly restrained fan-service), certainly a cut above the bulk of high-school setting animes I've seen.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 09:55:21 pm by Reelya »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12781 on: October 31, 2012, 12:06:35 am »

Well, Zero no Tsukaima/Familiar of Zero's concept was genuinely interesting, but it wouldn't explore those concepts by virtue of being an ecchi romantic comedy.

They wasted a perfectly good concept.
Oh my god yes. I thought the TvTropes article was interesting, so I started reading the manga.
Worst thing I've read in months.
Decided to read a bit of it just for this, but sadly didn't find anything bad enough to be entertaining. Does it get worse as it goes on, or is your "worst" just regular bad, not so bad it's fascinating in its own way?

Hah, the manga is something like the third step away. IIRC the LNs were the original (and not entirely terrible if only because there wasn't as much attempted comedy by way of abusive relationships), then came the anime (which was almost entirely composed of excessive fanservice and bad relationships), and finally the manga adaption (which was just all-around shit).

If I had to rate it, the LNs would merit maybe a 5-5.5/10, the anime 4/10, and the manga 2/10.
Well, this at least explains why manga Louise is so much cuter than anime Louise.

Rosario+Vampire is another one which wasted a pretty cool premise, though i never checked out the manga so i can't comment on that.
Usually whenever I hear anyone talking about both, it's about how the manga was so much better and the anime ruined it by being nothing but fanservice. From the small part I've read, it didn't seem particularly fanservicey but it still didn't seem any good- girl attracted to guy for whatever reason, girl tries to murder guy for whatever reason, main girl goes super-saiyan and beats other girl, guy smiles and says he wants to be friends, girl joins harem. Repeat, intersperse with regular threat-power-yaaaaaaay arcs.

Maybe it gets better later.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12782 on: October 31, 2012, 12:54:25 am »

THeres also an omnibus version of Azumanga Daioh if you wanted a sizable book.
I'm more into anime than manga. Anime takes up less space than manga, and the manga I am interested in usually have short series, with the exception of Boys Be. That one has twenty-four volumes and I want to somehow hunt down all of them because it's one of my favorite manga series so far.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12783 on: October 31, 2012, 10:20:48 am »

Usually whenever I hear anyone talking about both, it's about how the manga was so much better and the anime ruined it by being nothing but fanservice. From the small part I've read, it didn't seem particularly fanservicey but it still didn't seem any good- girl attracted to guy for whatever reason, girl tries to murder guy for whatever reason, main girl goes super-saiyan and beats other girl, guy smiles and says he wants to be friends, girl joins harem. Repeat, intersperse with regular threat-power-yaaaaaaay arcs.

I sort of hate to be beating the same drum here, but there is apparently a fan-retelling of the story that takes the whole "human in a setting full of monsters that prey on humans" seriously. Can't remember the name of it off the top of my head. But yeah, from what I've seen and heard, the manga was better than the anime just because it was lighter on the fanservice... not that that was a particularly difficult challenge.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #12784 on: October 31, 2012, 12:13:51 pm »

Manga is better, not as much overwhelming fanservice and "Desu!" It also takes the story much further, although there are a few issues popping up with information not being entirely consistent. It never fleshes out the interesting premise, though. It turns into a shounen fighting series, which is pretty decent.

Usually whenever I hear anyone talking about both, it's about how the manga was so much better and the anime ruined it by being nothing but fanservice.
Yep, as you can see from all of my posts on the matter, lol.

From the small part I've read, it didn't seem particularly fanservicey but it still didn't seem any good- girl attracted to guy for whatever reason, girl tries to murder guy for whatever reason, main girl goes super-saiyan and beats other girl, guy smiles and says he wants to be friends, girl joins harem. Repeat, intersperse with regular threat-power-yaaaaaaay arcs.

It's fanservicey (especially with Ruby during fights), but not to the extreme that the anime took it. It gets better because it shifts to a shounen fighting series and the harem stops growing. It reminds me a good deal of Negima, where everything is all "harem romance hurrah!" and then genre shift to "Everything wants to fight!" However, R+V sets it up waaaaaaaaay earlier than Negima.

I sort of hate to be beating the same drum here, but there is apparently a fan-retelling of the story that takes the whole "human in a setting full of monsters that prey on humans" seriously. Can't remember the name of it off the top of my head. But yeah, from what I've seen and heard, the manga was better than the anime just because it was lighter on the fanservice... not that that was a particularly difficult challenge.

Probably "He Who Fights Monsters" that I've previously mentioned. Hawker-748, NSFW for extreme violence, character death and sexual scenes. Totally takes the premise in the right direction though, and shows just how different it will be from the original when Tsukune manages to drown that pesky vampire trying to drain him of his blood (who was an unfortunate casualty, because Moka was actually kind-hearted like she was in the original series IIRC).
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 12:25:49 pm by Chaoswizkid »
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12785 on: October 31, 2012, 12:51:22 pm »

So... I randomly decided to watch Psycho-Pass.  Its up to 3 episodes I think.

Its kind of like a Utopian Japan... but, the criminal system is preemptive.  'Cops' scan you and based on stuff, it can grade you as a potential criminal.  You'll be arrested/neutralized if you are graded as a potential criminal.  If you score high enough as a potential criminal, you can be killed.

Under this criminal system, there are 3 kinds of cops...  EDIT:(They are also judge jury and executioner.)
Lowest level is the Robot Scanners, they are the first level and if you are graded as a potential criminal, you are supposed to surrender yourself to them.
Second level is the Enforcers.  They are potential criminals themselves and have chosen to work for the criminal justice system instead of sitting in jail/rehabilitation for the rest of their lives.  Basically the idea is to send criminals after criminals.
The top level is the Investigators.  They are the handlers, responsible for the Enforcers acting under them.

The criminal justice system here has no understanding of escalation or empathy, if their scanner says the person is a potential criminal, they will shoot/neutralize em without a thought if they are seen as to resist.  If the scanner says the potential criminal should be killed, they will do so without a thought either.
The algorithm is also broken, in the way that victims of actual criminal acts can be seen as potential criminals, when they are scared as heck and in flight or fight mode.  Especially after the cops shoot up the criminal into a bloody mess... then the cop proceed to tell the victim that they are now a potential criminal too...

Oh yea, kids flags as potential criminals early in their life will never get the chance to live a 'normal life'.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 12:55:03 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12786 on: October 31, 2012, 01:47:41 pm »

So basically "Thought Police: Japan"? I might watch that, depending on the direction it takes.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12787 on: November 02, 2012, 12:07:10 pm »

I watched Redline yesterday, that was a fun albeit pretty shallow film.  I think around where
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
it really didn't matter anymore.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12788 on: November 02, 2012, 02:55:19 pm »

I can't imagine anyone here hasn't seen it before, but per a discussion in the Happy Thread, I'm going to be doing a showing of Cowboy Bebop this Saturday, and possibly for several Saturdays to come, as part of the Space Cowboy Supershow. Details will be over on the Livestream thread, and we'll be starting at 9am PST, 12 Noon EST, or 4pm GMT, depending on your timezone.

In the past, I've always caught random episodes out of sequence on late-night TV, so I'm really looking forward to seeing them all together for a change. Thought I'd share it here, in case anyone was in the same boat, or just wanted to catch some classic sci-fi/noir anime. It'll be awesome!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12789 on: November 04, 2012, 08:26:33 am »

I just got around to watching Durarara! (past the first episode) which I've had sitting around on my HD for about a year. I'm really glad now that I had that on hold for so long, since I saw a heap of other anime that get referenced in the series since then.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12790 on: November 05, 2012, 10:54:32 pm »

I finally... FINALLY got around to finishing Apollo Justice. I gotta say, that story was enthralling, but that ending was really weak.

TOO WEAK!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12791 on: November 06, 2012, 12:30:58 pm »

I finally... FINALLY got around to finishing Apollo Justice. I gotta say, that story was enthralling, but that ending was really weak.
TOO WEAK!
Play Ace Attorney Investigations and you'll be done with every official game in English right now.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12792 on: November 06, 2012, 12:37:59 pm »

How 'bout with every game period because AAI2 won't be localized.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12793 on: November 06, 2012, 12:40:17 pm »

They're still intending to translate the main series games.  They could certainly do with a boost to the 3DS.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12794 on: November 06, 2012, 01:02:18 pm »

I watched Redline yesterday, that was a fun albeit pretty shallow film.  I think around where
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
it really didn't matter anymore.
I loved Redline. Completely ridiculous of course, but awesome due to the whole movie being rule of cool.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.
Pages: 1 ... 851 852 [853] 854 855 ... 2193