Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 850 851 [852] 853 854 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3074800 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #12765 on: October 28, 2012, 10:49:22 pm »

Has anyone ever found the concept of an anime REALLY interesting, but just knew just by looking at it that it wouldn't really explore that concept? at least the way you are thinking of.

I was looking at an anime called "Dog Days" and saw the first episode. Basically there is a fantasy world where war is considered so universally abhored that all war is fought basically with what my friend called "Sport and competition". Which I thought was immediately interesting as a concept.

How would a world change if all war was fought through sports?

The issue is however... that I know the anime won't explore it because the reason this idea is being used in the anime SEEMS to be for two purposes
1) Jokes
and
2) Its for little kids.

Ohh well. I can dream.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12766 on: October 28, 2012, 11:13:04 pm »

Well, Zero no Tsukaima/Familiar of Zero's concept was genuinely interesting, but it wouldn't explore those concepts by virtue of being an ecchi romantic comedy.

They wasted a perfectly good concept.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12767 on: October 28, 2012, 11:22:22 pm »

Well, Zero no Tsukaima/Familiar of Zero's concept was genuinely interesting, but it wouldn't explore those concepts by virtue of being an ecchi romantic comedy.

I have to agree with that fully. Familiar of Zero seemed to have every single plot element it needed to be a great anime. Just none of the drive to actually pull it off.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12768 on: October 28, 2012, 11:26:17 pm »

I almost hesitate to say this, but that's where fanfiction with competent writers steps in. It's something I've noticed: whenever a mediocre series with a lot of (wasted) potential and vaguely detailed backstory appears, it tends to draw a lot more writers than an excellent series with an interesting, well-executed plot and tight, compelling characterization. For three examples of this in play, see Zero no Tsukaima, Harry Potter, and Naruto. Each has fives or tens of very good fanworks based on them, because there are enough people attracted to the potential for a few writers good enough to be doing it professionally to churn out trilogy-length works that do a far better job at exploring the 'verse and characters than the original creator.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12769 on: October 29, 2012, 03:39:46 am »

All I know is if someone recommends an anime to me again without knowing my interests I may metaphorically have them dragged into the street and shot. I don't like anime like Black Lagoon or Berserk, stop recommending it to me and leave me to the anime I like.

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12770 on: October 29, 2012, 10:29:01 am »

All I know is if someone recommends an anime to me again without knowing my interests I may metaphorically have them dragged into the street and shot. I don't like anime like Black Lagoon or Berserk, stop recommending it to me and leave me to the anime I like.
Well, I guess you better tell your preferences in the beginning before asking for recommendations then.

I almost hesitate to say this, but that's where fanfiction with competent writers steps in.
Not the type to dig around fanfictions (I've only read, what more or less 5?)...but some have indeed amused me, like "Chicks Dig Giant Robots'":
"A giant robot?" Shinji said in shock.

"Yes," Gendo said. "And you will Pilot it."

"If you think you can abandon me for ten years and then give me a giant robot and expect me to forgive you . . ." Shinji growled. "Then you're completely correct, thanks dad. You're the greatest."

Gendo stared, Gendo blinked, finally Gendo shrugged and decided to go along with it. "Fine, but are you sure you don't want me to wheel out an injured girl first?"

"And you're bringing me girls too?" Shinji looked like he was about to do the happy dance, "I take back everything I said about you. Man, when you wanna make up for something you go all out don't you? Yeah, bring her out pops." Shinji's face was impassive as he looked at the pathetic figure on the gurney. "You know . . . I'm not sure weather or not to feel insulted that you felt you had to break her legs so she couldn't get away from me."

"She was injured in an accident," Misato supplied. "We didn't break her legs so that she couldn't escape from you."

"Oh." Shinji looked like he was about to cry. "I'm sorry I ever doubted you dad."
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #12771 on: October 29, 2012, 12:54:16 pm »

Has anyone ever found the concept of an anime REALLY interesting, but just knew just by looking at it that it wouldn't really explore that concept? at least the way you are thinking of.

Code Geass. Murder mystery, unable to investigate because shitty circumstances, granted hax powers in order to find out mother's killer and exact revenge for what they did to her and Nunally.

And then there were giant robots.

That isn't to say that Code Geass isn't amazing, there was just the distinct potential to take it in a completely different direction.

Rosario + Vampire. The actual issues of being a human in a horrifying place filled with creatures that would eat, rape, murder, etc. you, potentially after their true forms broke your mind.

And then there was a harem with ecchi. Resolved, though, through fanfiction. Notably He Who Fights Monsters (nsfw).

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica. The actual repercussions of becoming a magical girl with realistic cause/effect and violent enemi- oh right...
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12772 on: October 29, 2012, 02:05:18 pm »

Well, I guess you better tell your preferences in the beginning before asking for recommendations then.
I usually do, but some idiots keep on recommending anime that is irrelevant to my interests. I like anime that interests me, which includes the following series that I have already watched and/or in some cases bought.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Though as a rule of thumb I usually refrain from pirating anime because of my own personal feelings regarding piracy and because of my financial and technological situations making it better in some cases to just save up to buy the boxset I want. That ends up with me buying anime that interests me.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 02:07:15 pm by dei »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12773 on: October 29, 2012, 04:51:15 pm »

Have you watched Azumanga Daioh? It's suspiciously missing. Usually that and Lucky Star go hand in hand, though Lucky is much more moe intensive.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12774 on: October 29, 2012, 05:18:41 pm »

Nyarko-san fits in somewhat as well with those two, as far as I've watched of it.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12775 on: October 29, 2012, 08:35:39 pm »

Have you watched Azumanga Daioh? It's suspiciously missing. Usually that and Lucky Star go hand in hand, though Lucky is much more moe intensive.
I've considered buying it.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12776 on: October 29, 2012, 08:48:04 pm »

THeres also an omnibus version of Azumanga Daioh if you wanted a sizable book.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #12777 on: October 30, 2012, 12:21:04 am »

I really wish someone would hurry up and translate the LoGH light novels into English. Package them into 3 or 4 volumes containing a few books each and I think they'd have a pretty sizeable market.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12778 on: October 30, 2012, 01:07:13 pm »

Oh my god yes. I thought the TvTropes article was interesting, so I started reading the manga.
Worst thing I've read in months.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12779 on: October 30, 2012, 05:15:49 pm »

Oh my god yes. I thought the TvTropes article was interesting, so I started reading the manga.
Worst thing I've read in months.
Hah, the manga is something like the third step away. IIRC the LNs were the original (and not entirely terrible if only because there wasn't as much attempted comedy by way of abusive relationships), then came the anime (which was almost entirely composed of excessive fanservice and bad relationships), and finally the manga adaption (which was just all-around shit).

If I had to rate it, the LNs would merit maybe a 5-5.5/10, the anime 4/10, and the manga 2/10.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 850 851 [852] 853 854 ... 2193