Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 847 848 [849] 850 851 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3075363 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #12720 on: October 18, 2012, 02:03:19 am »

Provide humourous material for abgridgers?

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #12721 on: October 18, 2012, 02:50:36 am »

Provide humourous material for abgridgers?
Yes, that is something they've done very well.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12722 on: October 18, 2012, 03:00:40 am »

4Kids you have to remember does things "For kids" and unfortunately what that often means is they take stuff that was more universal in appeal but was clearly not "safe" for what Kids 4Kids wished.

They had done good jobs before. Pokemon for example. (for the most part)

The reason One Peice was so terrible to me had nothing to do with the fact that they were unfaithful to the source material and made too many changes, unlike what most fans say, it has more to do with the fact that they censored things too much and ended up hurting the pacing of the show. (Heck I liked the Theme Song)

For example they make all the fighting and action stop motion (for SOME reason), made characters act REALLY oddly for the context of the situation ("She suffered a injury that makes her never able to be a swordsmen"... Me: "Uhh... where is she? Is she dead? My goodness she is supposed to be dead isn't she?" *Later I found out... Yes in the original anime and manga she is dead*), and stuff. In otherwords there wasn't really any reason to watch it and some of the points where the show picked up, such as the Arlong saga, became where the 4kids version suffered.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 03:02:14 am by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12723 on: October 18, 2012, 03:56:02 am »

My god they still bowdlerize like that D: i thought they got over that in the mid-90's.

Reminds me of the Star Blazers / Yamato dub where they replayed a scout plane taking off from the destroyed enemy base at Jupiter and concocted a message to HQ "we managed to evacuate in time". Yeah, the entire Jupiter garrison escaped on a single seat fighter.

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12724 on: October 18, 2012, 08:04:24 am »

Reminds me of the Star Blazers / Yamato dub where they replayed a scout plane taking off from the destroyed enemy base at Jupiter and concocted a message to HQ "we managed to evacuate in time". Yeah, the entire Jupiter garrison escaped on a single seat fighter.
By "We" they mean the ones giving the message/ currently reporting...everyone else died. The only abgridged series I've seen is the Yugi-Oh one, guess might as well try DBZ Abridged.

As Generic as it may seem with the whole "only sane guy in a dorm full of crazies"...I find myself enjoying Sakurasou Pet na Kanojo.

"I left my self-respect back in my father's testicles."
That's what Sensei said...about trying to catch Rich Single Fathers during Entrance ceremony inside the faculty room with several students & teachers around. She amuses me.
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12725 on: October 18, 2012, 03:52:33 pm »

Sorry my memory was a bit off, but the concept is the same. In the re-dub of Yamato, the commander orders an evacuation, then later they add a bit where they radio to main HQ that everyone's OK.

The commander at the Gamilon base sees that the Argo is approaching. In Star Blazers, he orders an evacuation, and then we're shown one solitary fighter take off (the same fighter Wildstar fought with earlier.) No such evacuation order is given (or shown) in Yamato.

The Star Blazers edit tries to make it look like the base personnel escaped, and several scenes of destruction were removed. However, note that we see several people on the base and only one small fighter escaping. Also, due to the way this sequence was edited, the fate of that one fighter is in doubt. Although they radio Ganz that they're OK, moments later Ganz is unable to contact them, possibly implying they were killed in the subsequent Floating Continent explosion.

so they attempted to fudge it through changes in dialogue and edits that nobody died, but they didn't really edit it consistently.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12726 on: October 18, 2012, 06:59:11 pm »

As Generic as it may seem with the whole "only sane guy in a dorm full of crazies"...I find myself enjoying Sakurasou Pet na Kanojo

Honestly these kinds of animes (Only sane person who is forced to deal with crazies or a single crazy person) run the gambit of great to terrible. (Interestingly enough the only western show with this premise I am aware of is Wayside)

But oddly enough the terrible ones arn't the "Steriotypical ones" they are the ones that sort of suffer from "How did these crazy people LIVE before the main character came along" and "Why are you guys so abusive? You know what main character... just leave they don't deserve you"

The great ones are probably the ones that remember that the main character doesn't have to be JUST perspective. That the protagonist can actually do things.

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12727 on: October 19, 2012, 01:18:00 am »

But oddly enough the terrible ones arn't the "Stereotypical ones", they are the ones that sort of suffer from "How did these crazy people LIVE before the main character came along" and "Why are you guys so abusive? You know what main character... just leave they don't deserve you"

The great ones are probably the ones that remember that the main character doesn't have to be JUST perspective. That the protagonist can actually do things.
Ah, yes...I seem vaguely familiar with the concept. The crazy people & their insane-status-quo that the sane guy somewhat "fixes" or at least balances out to make them socially...acceptable(?)/tolerable or something.

Though Ranma 1/2 comes to mind that I think even at the end, a lot of the named characters are still kinda' sociopathic and/or crazy jerks (well it is slapstick "comedy"...still).
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12728 on: October 20, 2012, 06:40:11 pm »

I watched the first ep of the Persona 4 anime, and I really like the novelty that it uses like all the music, and beyond that, the gaming abstractions like the day to day and the domestic skill charts shown inbetween scenes.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12729 on: October 20, 2012, 06:42:35 pm »

I watched the first ep of the Persona 4 anime, and I really like the novelty that it uses like all the music, and beyond that, the gaming abstractions like the day to day and the domestic skill charts shown inbetween scenes.

What I really like about it is that it gives Yu a definitive personality. One issue I had with persona in the "you chose their personality" is the knowledge that it could very well mean any protagonist would never show up again.

Though I find it interesting that the VAST majority of "You chose what they say" protagonists tend to be soft spoken and serious. Then again even Yu breaks a joke once in a while.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12730 on: October 21, 2012, 03:17:40 am »

Watched Toaru Majutsu no Index a while ago. Happy Face :D 8/10, it was entertaining and had a good flow (though you could tell where the volumes ended, so not episodic, but distinct chapters).

Watched Toaru Majutsu no Index II just now. Frowny Face  :'( BIG Frowny Face. 6/10. Too many repetitive "accidental pervert" jokes (with obligatory beatings) and unnecessary fanservice. Accelerator was awesome as always though.

Well I guess I'll still check out Railgun.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 03:23:38 am by Reelya »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12731 on: October 21, 2012, 09:41:21 am »

Watched Toaru Majutsu no Index a while ago. Happy Face :D 8/10, it was entertaining and had a good flow (though you could tell where the volumes ended, so not episodic, but distinct chapters).

Watched Toaru Majutsu no Index II just now. Frowny Face  :'( BIG Frowny Face. 6/10. Too many repetitive "accidental pervert" jokes (with obligatory beatings) and unnecessary fanservice. Accelerator was awesome as always though.

So the difference between a happy face and a BIG Frowny Face is two points?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12732 on: October 21, 2012, 09:54:03 am »

Such is the nature of excessive fanservice.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12733 on: October 21, 2012, 12:42:57 pm »

In MAL terms 6/10 is exceptionally bad score, going below that is quite an achievement.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12734 on: October 21, 2012, 03:15:42 pm »

It was still watchable and the story was OK, this frowny face was because I had higher expectations. And i have to fit it in with stuff I scored 4 or 5 out of 10. It was still better than those.
Pages: 1 ... 847 848 [849] 850 851 ... 2193