Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 835 836 [837] 838 839 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3075990 times)

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #12540 on: September 27, 2012, 11:47:51 am »

Do they specifically not practice? or is it possible it is happening off screen?
They do practice off screen, but it's sort of like what Reelya said, with the expectations being different from what you actually get.

Yui supposedly practices an asston outside of class, but it doesn't feel like it's actually happening since it's just an occasional mention here and there, maybe a 30 shot of Yui holding her guitar at home.

Mugi played classical piano before, because oujo. I think she might actually be the one that makes the songs.

Mio and Ritsu have been playing drums and bass for a bit of time already. Mio likes dangerously cheesy lyrics, and Ritsu is the perfect representation of an amateur musician that likes the idea of rocking out on a huge stage, but doesn't put in all the effort required into it, and is totally satisfied in jamming with her ladyfriends. She also gets a stint of getting sick of drums and wanting to learn other instruments, likes The Who, and is the best character in the show (in season 2, at least).

Season 1 covered almost 2 years, that's plenty of time to pick up the basics, and she's not like Jimi Hendrix even then. So given the stated time-lapse it's not that unbelievable.

and, yes it's stated that they're lazy - as a band - they goof off and don't practice anywhere near as much as they should - but the girl who picked up guitar in season one, also states she plays a bit at home every day.

But overall, they're a SHITTY band, much shittier than the tapes of the previous light music club's band that they listen to. So there's no Mary Sue effect, it's stated that they're lazy, and all their songs actually suck.
Yeah, when Azusa came, she was delegated to rhythm guitarist, but picking up stuff like palm muting instantly was like "dude". It's part of her character and all, being a complete idiot except when it comes to the guitar, but it does seem a bit unrealistic. Well, unrealistic might not be the right word, probably something closer to unrelatable is a better choice.

I don't think their songs suck that much either, some of the basslines are really fun. When it comes to the show though, I think I remember something where the real musicians playing the parts would toss in a few mistakes here and there, or change the sound a bit to give it amateur vibes.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 11:49:42 am by Patchouli »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12541 on: September 27, 2012, 12:00:29 pm »

I play the guitar, and i recall it didn't take me long to pick up palm muting from my pal either, so i'm not sure that's so unrelatable. sometimes you just "get" something pretty quickly and sometimes you struggle with it. I think palm muting is a pretty basic technique.

@Neonevik: when you say Kyon, you're thinking of the concert scene in Haruhi?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 12:06:00 pm by Reelya »

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12542 on: September 27, 2012, 12:03:58 pm »

I play the guitar, and i recall it didn't take me long to pick up palm muting from my pal either, so i'm not sure that's so unrelatable. sometimes you just "get" something pretty quickly and sometimes you struggle with it. I think palm muting is a pretty basic technique.
That's true. But she picked it up instantly, without having any knowledge of it before.

She also has perfect pitch and stuff. She's basically a super musician but a very silly person.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 12:06:18 pm by Patchouli »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12543 on: September 27, 2012, 12:15:56 pm »

"Absolute pitch is considerably more common among those whose early childhood was spent in East Asia. This might seem to be a genetic difference but people of East Asian ancestry who are reared in North America are significantly less likely to develop absolute pitch than those raised in East Asia, so the difference is more probably explained by experience. The language that is spoken may be an important factor; many East Asians speak tonal languages such as Mandarin and Cantonese, while others (such as those in Japan and certain provinces of Korea) speak pitch-accent languages, and the prevalence of absolute pitch may be partly explained by exposure to pitches together with meaningful musical labels very early in life."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_pitch

Well, there's an unrelated article saying East Asians often have that ability, probably due to tonal qualities of their languages. And her rate of actually learning the guitar isn't that far out given the (averaged) 2 months per episodes in season 1.

I was playing bass in my first band within weeks of first picking the thing up, and we were playing gigs for our friends within days of first getting together, so it really doesn't take all that long to get something basic down.

And i was shown palm muting for guitar by my friend and was doing it myself within minutes, within about 1 year of first picking up BOTH bass and guitar (this was in my first band, which was together for 1 year exactly), that's LESS time in my life than the time between Yui picking up guitar and her meet Azusa.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 12:30:50 pm by Reelya »

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12544 on: September 27, 2012, 12:24:27 pm »

Oh, that's neat. Nodame had perfect pitch too, and I feel like there's other anime characters with it, so maybe that explains why it pops up frequently.

I guess I'm in the Ritsu boat of lazy musicians, so it seems like her learning rate is crazy. It took me at least a whole day to get palm muting to not sound terrible, and I could only do them well on the downstrokes.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 12:26:29 pm by Patchouli »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12545 on: September 27, 2012, 01:05:19 pm »

@Neonevik: when you say Kyon, you're thinking of the concert scene in Haruhi?

Actually no.

I am thinking of the lazy do nothing plot and characters. (sorta)

Also yeah Haruhi.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12546 on: September 27, 2012, 03:05:48 pm »

I can confirm events actually happened in Haruhi in this funny thing called "story arcs".  The newest three books is probably the longest one yet.

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12547 on: September 27, 2012, 08:02:09 pm »

I don't know why...but I find it amusing to find out Kyon is in Muv-Luv & helping out in the fight against BETA.
What where did you get this.  There was no Kyon in what I saw.
Oh right..."He's" in ML Total Eclipse.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=910
It's a serious role and is just a side character sure...but it was after I finished Daily Lives of High School Boys (Like Nichijou, for me the show was mostly a hit & miss but I enjoyed most his character's segments there) that when he speaks, he stands out to me (Kill BETA with Sarcasm Kyon!).

Speaking of slice of life, I loved Hyouka. I will miss Eru's curiosity and I like that the "mysteries" were stuff not involving murder, blackmail, evil organizations & such.
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12548 on: September 27, 2012, 08:14:13 pm »

I can confirm events actually happened in Haruhi in this funny thing called "story arcs".  The newest three books is probably the longest one yet.

I know, hense why I said "Sorta"

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12549 on: September 27, 2012, 08:25:24 pm »

I really should just watch Total Eclipse at this point.  It's also a VN but it's untranslated and playing MLA Chronicles 01 isn't going too hot when I only know 30% of what's happening.

EDIT:
Oh wait I need to finish Full Metal Panic.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 08:29:21 pm by ToonyMan »

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #12550 on: September 27, 2012, 08:56:55 pm »

Is it also common among children from Sub-Saharan Africa? Most Bantu languages are tonal.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12551 on: September 27, 2012, 09:02:33 pm »

It's hard to say, i have only seen the East Asia reference. Perhaps that's due to the prevalence of recording industries in East Asia, and the lack of such industries in Sub-Saharan Africa, so it's not really as well documented.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12552 on: September 28, 2012, 01:36:02 am »

I 100% finished G-senjou no Maou.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Non-spoiler thoughts:
That was okay.  Decent.  The heroine chapters were very weak (especially Kanon's) but the finale was pretty much what I wanted and didn't want which I expected really.  The music was pretty great, and sometimes the writing stood out.  It's better than Sharin no Kuni in almost every way (except it doesn't have Isono or Housuke).  I actually downgraded my 6/10 vote of Sharin to a 5/10 so that a 6 would fit Maou better.  Because honestly, I have a hard time pushing a 7 when there was just so many laughably bad sections even if you take the heroine chapters out.

Skip the optional parts for the best experience I would say...not that anybody cares...

Also, apparently 'Maou' had Jun Fukuyama as a VA or better known as...Lelouch from Code Geass.  I only learned that after finishing the game...that's...wow.  Still a 6/10...but I will feel worse about it.

That's my night.  Time to start volume 11 of DKaiji and zzzzzzzDangan Ronpa is awesomezzzzzzzz

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12553 on: September 28, 2012, 05:49:12 am »

Hah, started reading Tower of God in earnest. I like it; it's got that nice mix of knowing and not knowing what the hell is going on to remain interesting.

Spoiler: Very Minor (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12554 on: September 28, 2012, 08:43:20 am »

Hah, started reading Tower of God in earnest. I like it; it's got that nice mix of knowing and not knowing what the hell is going on to remain interesting.
Spoiler: Very Minor (click to show/hide)
Yessss I liked all of Season 1.  I'm on Chapter 11 of Season 2 and I'm not feeling it as much but it's gotta get better.

Some males look ridiculously female though.
Pages: 1 ... 835 836 [837] 838 839 ... 2193