Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 830 831 [832] 833 834 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3077001 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #12465 on: September 11, 2012, 09:56:17 pm »

Yup, watched it after I finished reading the series. I enjoyed it, though it jumps about in the storyline but that's to be expected. You couldn't fit the entire series in one movie of reasonable length. No manly tears though.

Fist of the North Star is great fun if you like people exploding from super martial arts. The plot is interesting uf bever particually deep and characters come and go realy quickly, but it's influenced a lot of this later, as well as having lots of references in other works.

Edit: Also, because of the music. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MyeZkbVi4U

I actually watched it because it influenced Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, which is pretty much the same but with more plot, vampires and glam.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 10:47:11 pm by Mech#4 »
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #12466 on: September 11, 2012, 10:19:32 pm »

I've really only watched a few anime's about martial arts, not really my thing.

I'd mainly recommend watching the live action film Shogun Assassin.

Seconding Natsuki Crisis, and adding Angel Densetsu. Problem is both are 2 episodes only.

I've seen a few parodies about martial artists:

- Ikkitousen: total not recommending this. They called it Battle Vixens in America, I call it Battle Sluts.

- Ranma 1/2 (160 episodes and pretty hilarious, lots of fights)

- Kage kara Mamoru! (short, silly ninja romance comedy but kinda cute and not much fan-service)

- Asu no Yoichi! :- This show has some big flaws but a few things I like about it more than similar shows. It's a blatant rip-off of Love Hina and Ranma 1/2 style shows, with cliche ecchi harem stuff, but the art's nice and the two main guys have decent personalities and can fight good, the sidekick is actually a badass who got a decent character development story of his own, and some girls interested in him, which is almost unheard-of in harem. One guy is a samurai, the other is a streetfighter. An ok 12 episodes if you like this kind of action / harem comedy.

You had me at Battle Sluts.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12467 on: September 12, 2012, 01:18:23 am »

That reminds me that i watched Ninja Scroll and the Fist Of The North Star movies years ago, and enjoyed them.

The 1980's Fist Of The North Star series is 152 episodes. Anyone watched it?

In the post-nuclear apocalyptic future in 199X, the human race has regressed. Weak villagers are reduced to slavery, while genetically enhanced giants rule the world. Gunpowder seems only a distant memory, and the martial arts is the only weapon a man can count on.

Two schools face one another in the battle for dominion: Hokuto Shinken and Nanto Seiken. The series begins when the Hokuto successor, Kenshiro, travels the desert to confront Shin, a member of the Nanto Roku Seiken, their six ruling stars, who has taken his fiancee Yulia.

It's actually about 112 eps long, atleast the first season is. I enjoyed it alot, it's intensely badass and my memories of it will last with me through the years. My only problem with it is that somewhere around the 70-80 ep mark there's about 8 or 9 episodes that are all flashback episodes, back to back.

I just get all nostalgically giddy when I hear the theme song, and the hypest thing is that it's still referenced in things made today like the one-off joke in this videogame where it sticks out like the sorest of oddly placed thumbs.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12468 on: September 12, 2012, 04:12:13 am »

I just get all nostalgically giddy when I hear the theme song, and the hypest thing is that it's still referenced in things made today like the one-off joke in this videogame where it sticks out like the sorest of oddly placed thumbs.

Heh heh.  :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SplSDPwVbzc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8-SrmzsrkE
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12469 on: September 12, 2012, 06:44:41 am »

I added the two 'North Star seasons from the 1980's together to get 152 episodes total, my link shows 109, and the 1988 sequel has 43
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 06:47:37 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12470 on: September 12, 2012, 11:42:34 am »

I added the two 'North Star seasons from the 1980's together to get 152 episodes total, my link shows 109, and the 1988 sequel has 43

Some places seperate seasons and some combine it.

This gets especially aggrivating for shows that like to change its name slightly season to season.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12471 on: September 14, 2012, 02:00:34 pm »

Hey YU-NO was pretty fun last night.  It's old, but it has some nice music, it plays like an adventure game (you move around and investigate and shit), reminds me of Snatcher, has some mysteries and people dying going around, everybody is voiced except for some misc scenes (yes even the MC), and there's already been a lot of characters introduced although male characters (there's already two with sprites!!) seem to be unable to blink, let me load my game I spent about three hours playing on-
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Why isn't anything working why can't I load my game why does every option but starting a new game crash YU-NO??!

ARRGHGRHHAAAA I HAVE TO SWITCH COMPUTERS AGAIN

Maybe I should just play all 50+ hours in one sitting hohoho...hoho.....ho.............
Spoiler: ha (click to show/hide)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12472 on: September 14, 2012, 09:21:52 pm »

Nichijou, what is this i dont even.

Also i determined that the club's lifetime goal is create our own state convention down here, holy ambitions to bananas.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12473 on: September 16, 2012, 06:06:56 am »

Just started watching Spice and Wolf,
I like it.
..that is all..

So it turns out, I started watching episode 2 first on accident, watched 2 episodes of season 2 before realizing it,
and I was thinking, wow, I really like how this anime starts,
now I'm watching episode 1 of season 1, it's still good, it's just season 2 seems to be better.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 06:53:20 am by Valid_Dark »
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12474 on: September 16, 2012, 11:49:25 am »

So it turns out that Only Yesterday is an extremely touching little piece of animation. You wouldn't think I'd tolerate just watching some lady talk and reminisce for a solid two hours, especially when her life was really ordinary, but it was actually pretty entertaining.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12475 on: September 16, 2012, 12:40:03 pm »

Okay, so I have been reading Jojo's Bizarre Adventure up to where Mangafox stops having it. (Somewhere into the fourth part. The one with ridiculous haircut man.) And I have to concede that it is a badass manga and I am excited for the anime adaption. Looking back at it, I think I like it because of, for example,

1) No pansy generic male lead characters. You know the one, the one with short black hair, tan skin, white shirt, black pants and zero personality whatsoever apart from being expert an women psychologist and wanting to save everyone. (Jonathan has that save-the-world thing going on. Jotaro is a bit lacking in terms of personality beyond being badass. But they are not pansies, and they don't dress like pansies.) Thus: Main characters with personality, which is kind of lacking in some animes. Kamijou Touma for example is a great main character in terms of personality and actions... within the bounds of the male lead formula. Independant female main characters (ones that do not primarily define them through their relationship with some male) are also a very acceptable substitute.

2) Good fights, ones that depend on smarts, not raw power and Deus ex Machinas (also known as the Scaling Algorithm of Villainry biting the writers in the ass). This is the big one, kinda.
In terms of Jojo's this is particularily evident with Joseph Joestar. If I wanted to list every awesome stunt Joseph ever pulled not by raw power but by trickery we'd be here all day, but his battle against Wham was particularily great - both sides are continuously ingenious in their moves and the whole fight is quite a great back-and-forth, even though Wham has the definite power advantage. The aforementioned Touma also pulls this although on an overall lesser scale.
Second Jojo example, Jotaro VS Dio. Although it takes a slight, if logical, Deus Ex to put them on roughly equal footing Dio is not a threat through his superior power alone, but also through thinking ahead to bypass Jotaro's guard.

3) The bizarreness of character design. Oh, Stands.

Tl;dr I wish to get recommended an anime that fulfills most of these properties: Smarts-driven fights, distinctive character design (please avoid run of the mill everything-orbits-around-the-male-lead-and-the-female-lead-is-a-tsundere), does not take itself 110% seriously. Bonus points for outlandish character design, humour, historic and/or (mundane) fantastic settings and tomboys kicking ass and taking names. Should perhaps be a bit longer than 12 episodes but that's not strictly necessary by any means.
I liked To Aru Majutsu No Index, Slayers, Black Rock Shooter, Bakemonogatari, Spice&Wolf, Nausicaa, The World God Only Knows, Katanagari (spelling dubious) and more animes I probably have forgotten about.
Go ahead, please shoot me suggestions.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 12:43:26 pm by Errol »
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12476 on: September 16, 2012, 12:46:21 pm »

You should probably do Railgun if you did Index.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12477 on: September 16, 2012, 12:48:03 pm »

No pansy generic male lead characters. You know the one, the one with short black hair, tan skin, white shirt, black pants and zero personality whatsoever apart from being expert an women psychologist and wanting to save everyone

What is worse is sometimes they do have a genuin and interesting personality and mind you would love to explore!

But then the Anime/Manga goes "Nope, what you wanted depth? Forget it!"

Don't get me started on the times the female version of the main character appears and "wants to learn how to fight"... She will fail because "She is a girl". Mind you one anime actually pointed attention to it but had an excuse (The main character thought girls were icky, so he wouldn't train her)

Good fights, ones that depend on smarts, not raw power and Deus ex Machinas

I remember when I watched Superman the animated series. The vast majority of the fights in it are based off of smarts or a curb stomp.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #12478 on: September 16, 2012, 01:36:28 pm »

Rahxepheon was a huge let down for me, the first 5 episodes were great! Then it turned into a shoddy NGE ripoff
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12479 on: September 16, 2012, 01:37:39 pm »

You should probably do Railgun if you did Index.

I should first finish Index. I have this habit of suddenly dropping animes for little reason whatsoever, which kicked in just after the Accelerator fight. Index is among the most tolerable of all the formulaic animes I've watched so far (plus, in hindsight, the Esper abilities are quite similar to Stands, although not quite as creative), so as soon as I can bother with formulaic animes again I'll get back into it.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 830 831 [832] 833 834 ... 2193