Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 827 828 [829] 830 831 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3077133 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #12420 on: September 09, 2012, 12:13:23 pm »

Honestly it is one of those reasons Reelya that I subconsciously avoid really hyped animes, games, and movies. They are never close to what I am told (The biggest Hype to reality difference was the movie Pulp Fiction... but I understood why. It is basically a meme machine for adults... or possibly Titus Andronicus the Shakespear play which is just plain bad) leaving me with the feeling that I am supposed to like it.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #12421 on: September 09, 2012, 12:52:45 pm »

Two of the problems with older anime (or any media, really) that are heavily popular is that:
1. Being an older work, the nostalgia filter kicks in for many who have seen it, and older viewers overlook many of its weak points. TVTropes: Nostalgia Filter
2. Its original tropes and themes were copied so much, if you've seen a decent amount of newer works, you've already seen much of what the original has to offer. TVTropes: Seinfeld is Unfunny

Eva was the first anime of the Giant-robot genre I'd seen, and I'd seen it fairly young, so I came away from it pretty satisfied. (Excepting the infamous Episodes 25 & 26)
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12422 on: September 09, 2012, 02:41:55 pm »

Hmm, reading up on Evangelion, it seems they rewrote it to turn "psychological" at about episode 16, mainly because they ran out of both time and money, and couldn't afford to animate with an action/adventure emphasis. This makes sense to me, i'm on episode 13 now, and Shinji has, at this point, got over his early issues and is fighting fairly confidently without barely a hint of his earlier "issues" at all (and it's still a monster of the week show right now). I guess he regresses.

Screw Evangelion, Ghost In The Shell 4 the win.

I pretty much feel that no matter how good Evangelion gets in the last 10 or 11 episodes, more than half this thing is fillers. If it wasn't for the production crisis sparking some creativity, this show would be forgotten. The first half is completely forgettable, in my opinion.

EDIT: Actually, episode 13 was 100% filler. Not one single thing said or done advanced the plot or character development in any way (except revealing the career of a side character's mother - whoopee-do). I'm sure if I went back and check previous episodes it'd be similar.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 03:04:54 pm by Reelya »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12423 on: September 09, 2012, 02:55:23 pm »

Well that, and Hideaki Anno going off of his meds.

@Techhead: Potholes, you're doing them wrong. :V

Thinking about watching Monster and K-On! in tandem, alternating series each episode.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12424 on: September 09, 2012, 03:03:36 pm »

I pretty much feel that no matter how good Evangelion gets in the last 10 or 11 episodes, more than half this thing is fillers. If it wasn't for the production crisis sparking some creativity, this show would be forgotten. The first half is completely forgettable, in my opinion.
That may be a little true.  I remember not getting into Evangelion until the later half, but the later half was fucking awesome for me and honestly the first half isn't terrible to watch or anything so the payoff was perfectly fine (to me).

I don't know, most of the time I try something that's really popular I end up enjoying it as well.  Evangelion is probably one of my favorite anime tv series.  Berserk is also fantastic.  Fullmetal Alchemist was gooood.  Fate/stay night is also really good.  The Muv-Luv Trilogy does get pretty great (THE HIGHEST RATED VN).  Haruhi was pretty fun.  Tower of God is pretty good (highest rated comic on Batoto usually).  I can count way more hype'd stuff I did enjoy than did not.

Thinking about watching Monster and K-On! in tandem, alternating series each episode.
Monster, 20th Century Boy, and Billy Bat are very very strange.  I heard Pluto was quite good but I haven't started it yet.  The problem I have with Naoki Urasawa works is they always feel very vague and strange.  Monster did make me cry multiple times though.  As for 20th Century Boys....hrrrm that's probably a case where a really popular manga doesn't really leave an impression on me.  And Billy Bat isn't finished so.

The Monster dub is quite good, I watched that the entire time.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #12425 on: September 09, 2012, 03:26:11 pm »

@Flying Dice: I don't link to TVTropes from offsite without labeling the links, and in this case potholing made the sentence look awkward.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12426 on: September 09, 2012, 11:33:51 pm »

It is soo hard to watch Kenshin now... I want to just get past this section but I cannot skip it.

I wish it was awsome like what happened in Battle Royale

But this is just sooooo dumb... So undescribably dumb and nonsense I swear it is going to end with it all being a comic, dream, or book. Is it a crossover because if it is a crossover with another series or book it would explain everything.

My goodness this is if they suddenly revealed magic was real in Case closed... and everyone treats it like common knowledge.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 11:38:25 pm by Neonivek »

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12427 on: September 10, 2012, 01:21:59 am »

I recently got around to watching Shoujo Kakumei Utena and its movie, and found a lot of insight in it. I enjoyed it a lot, and wish I had gotten around to it sooner (although maybe had I watched it when I was younger, I wouldn't have understood it nearly as much). I've had no desire to watch any of the current season shows after getting through that whole thing.

Looking forward to Hidamari Sketch's 4th season come Autumn.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12428 on: September 10, 2012, 01:31:46 am »

Finished Kenshin regular.

Interesting last episode. It was boring but intentionally so.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12429 on: September 10, 2012, 02:02:32 am »

I recently got around to watching Shoujo Kakumei Utena and its movie, and found a lot of insight in it. I enjoyed it a lot, and wish I had gotten around to it sooner (although maybe had I watched it when I was younger, I wouldn't have understood it nearly as much). I've had no desire to watch any of the current season shows after getting through that whole thing.
I know nothing about this series except I've heard a few music links on 4chan like...almost two years ago and it was pretty awesome.  But after watching Escaflowne because I liked the music I learned that isn't the greatest idea ever.  I do have the series but I mean...I still want to watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes and stuff too.

Looking forward to Hidamari Sketch's 4th season come Autumn.
I don't think I could handle Sketch.

EDIT:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 02:54:50 am by ToonyMan »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12430 on: September 10, 2012, 02:25:36 am »

Whatever you do, don't watch Genesis Of Aquarion. The first 10 minutes of episode 1 held some promise, but things went downhill fast, I dropped it at episode 4. It was really repetitive with a monster of the week "Shadow Angel" attack / battle. (reading reviews seems to confirm that it stays repetitive). Nowhere near as watchable as Escaflowne. But i guess the plot is kinda similar to the first 13 episodes of NGE now that i'm watching that.

One of the "plusses" is that the girl character seems to have a loud orgasm anytime the 3 mecha combine into the super-mecha. That seems to be the main thing the series is known for. There's really no other plusses i can think of.

Aquarion EVOL's supposed to be a lot better and does not require watching the first series. Steer clear of 'Genesis'
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 02:37:42 am by Reelya »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12431 on: September 10, 2012, 12:39:12 pm »

Whatever you do, don't watch Genesis Of Aquarion. The first 10 minutes of episode 1 held some promise, but things went downhill fast, I dropped it at episode 4. It was really repetitive with a monster of the week "Shadow Angel" attack / battle. (reading reviews seems to confirm that it stays repetitive). Nowhere near as watchable as Escaflowne. But i guess the plot is kinda similar to the first 13 episodes of NGE now that i'm watching that.

One of the "plusses" is that the girl character seems to have a loud orgasm anytime the 3 mecha combine into the super-mecha. That seems to be the main thing the series is known for. There's really no other plusses i can think of.

Aquarion EVOL's supposed to be a lot better and does not require watching the first series. Steer clear of 'Genesis'
I think we watched a episode or two of that in mu highschool anime club. It was hilariously sexual.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12432 on: September 10, 2012, 12:41:53 pm »

Wow...

I am starting to wonder if Helga from Hey Arnold was inspired by the steriotypical Tsundere or not...

Given that Helga is considered the Western example of one.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12433 on: September 10, 2012, 12:45:21 pm »

Wow...

I am starting to wonder if Helga from Hey Arnold was inspired by the steriotypical Tsundere or not...

Given that Helga is considered the Western example of one.

It's been awhile since I've even thought of that show, but now I remember Helga's SUPER FUCKING CREEPY shrine to Arnold she made in her closet out of his chewed gum and stray trash he's dropped.

I think that goes a bit beyond the propensities of a tsundere.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12434 on: September 10, 2012, 03:53:03 pm »

Western comics / cartoons have plenty of tsundere examples I'm sure, its just that there are more Japanese mangas based on romance or relationships than in the west.

One example i can think of is Hagar The Horrible's wife, while the prime example would have to be Lucy from Peanuts and her damn football.

The oldest example I can find is Olive Oyl from the Popeye comics, she even has the classic Tsundere character development arc - she starts out hating Popeye, comes to love him, yet still has a tinderbox temper:

She was the more-or-less fiancée of Harold Hamgravy, a "lounge lizard" or slacker type who did as little work as possible and was always borrowing money. His attraction to other women—particularly if they were rich—naturally incensed Olive, and she once succumbed to a fit of "lunaphobia" (a kind of angry madness) over one of his amours. (When she recovered, she continued to pretend to have the disorder to win him back.) She was not immune to flattery from other men, but remained committed to Ham until Popeye's appearance. The two did not fall in love at once (her first words to him were "Aw, shut up, you bilge rat!"), but instead fought bitterly (and hilariously) for weeks, before realizing they cared for each other[...]she could be extremely fickle, depending on who could woo her the best or had the flashier possessions, and was prone to get angry over the tiniest things.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 03:57:11 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 827 828 [829] 830 831 ... 2193