Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 824 825 [826] 827 828 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3077252 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #12375 on: August 30, 2012, 09:46:50 pm »

The dialogue is the equivalent of verbal masturbation, it's disgusting to watch.

What did you think about Akagi?

FUCKING LOVED IT.

/summary

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12376 on: August 30, 2012, 09:52:20 pm »

The dialogue is the equivalent of verbal masturbation, it's disgusting to watch.

FUCKING LOVED IT.

/summary

Kinda funny that you hated parts of Spice and Wolf for the EXACT same reason you loved Akagi.

Don't worry though, no human being can possibly keep up with the level of sophistication and intellect I possess. It is impossible to understand me even when I explain it to you.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12377 on: August 30, 2012, 09:55:03 pm »

I've been reading Akagi and Kaiji in volume chunks as FKMTkrazy scanlate them.

I also tried playing Akagi Mahjong on the DS and well...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's pretty hard to read the tiles.  I don't like thaaat.  Back to Unlimited.

The music is pretty great though.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12378 on: August 30, 2012, 10:18:02 pm »

FUCKING LOVED IT.

/summary

Kinda funny that you hated parts of Spice and Wolf for the EXACT same reason you loved Akagi.

Don't worry though, no human being can possibly keep up with the level of sophistication and intellect I possess. It is impossible to understand me even when I explain it to you.

I'm having a weird sense of deja vu, like we've had this conversation before.

But yeah, atleast Akagi doesn't droll on for almost 20 minutes at a time for seemingly no reason other than to prove just how linguistically acrobatic he is, unlike almost every character in Spice and Wolf.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12379 on: August 30, 2012, 10:39:01 pm »

But yeah, atleast Akagi doesn't droll on for almost 20 minutes at a time for seemingly no reason other than to prove just how linguistically acrobatic he is, unlike almost every character in Spice and Wolf

Yeah but it does go 20 minutes saying over and over why the toothpaste Akagi uses to brush his teeth is a sure sign that he truely has ascended to another plane and has outstripped all of humanity.

Then when Akagi explains that his choice of Toothpaste was based on the fact that it was because he has sensitive gums the narrator ensures us that this explanation has COMPLETELY missed us in everyway. Good thing too, otherwise I may not have got how amazing Akagi was being that episode.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 10:42:01 pm by Neonivek »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12380 on: August 30, 2012, 10:42:15 pm »

Are they being linguistically acrobatic, or are they trying to confuse someone on purpose? Theres always a use for that, within or outside of the fourth wall.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12381 on: August 30, 2012, 10:45:29 pm »

Are they being linguistically acrobatic, or are they trying to confuse someone on purpose? Theres always a use for that, within or outside of the fourth wall.

They are trying to explain to the watchers that Akagi is
A) A Genius
and
B) Clearly above your head (As in YOU! the watcher... and ALL humans on earth)

Now the narrator and every character in the show will do both... even if Akagi just explained his plan.

In otherwords Akagi is clearly so much smarter then all of us we simply cannot understand him or anything he does even when he says it in simple terms.

So Linguistically acrobatic.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12382 on: August 30, 2012, 10:46:50 pm »

I'd been asking more about Spice & Wolf, but thats an answer I guess.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12383 on: August 30, 2012, 10:53:01 pm »

I like Spice and Wolf for Kraft's thinking process on business and Holo's constant flirting and mindfucking him :P

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12384 on: August 30, 2012, 10:56:16 pm »

Don't worry about Neon, he's just jealous of Akagi's amazing sublime genius. Which he should know because it's explained to him.

I'm willing to continue defending Akagi just because Neon's hatred of him is just so humorous.

But about the linguistic acrobatics in Spice and Wolf, I feel it's just because the writers wanted to jam in so many old-timey, fancy wordplays and witticisms that it just gets painful to listen to.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12385 on: August 30, 2012, 11:15:19 pm »

Dang it I love Akagi I just so absolutely loathe all this dang "He is the greatest genius so far above humanity that they completely could not begin to comprehend him"

If I saw the creator infront of me I'd shake his hand then punch him in the face for making it. (admittingly this is probably a LOT more toned down in the manga)

Which he should know because it's explained to him

No you forgot, Akagi is a genius beyond comprehension. Explanations are useless.

But about the linguistic acrobatics in Spice and Wolf, I feel it's just because the writers wanted to jam in so many old-timey, fancy wordplays and witticisms that it just gets painful to listen to

I personally think it is because they are trying to make Economics cool. How else do you achieve this without doing this?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12386 on: August 30, 2012, 11:20:12 pm »

But about the linguistic acrobatics in Spice and Wolf, I feel it's just because the writers wanted to jam in so many old-timey, fancy wordplays and witticisms that it just gets painful to listen to

I personally think it is because they are trying to make Economics cool. How else do you achieve this without doing this?

By being Milo Minderbender. I loved Catch-22 just for him.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12387 on: August 31, 2012, 09:34:28 am »

It might be my Fukumoto bias but I don't really have a problem with everybody thinking Akagi is a genius.  If anything the "aloof" and 'edgy" heroines in some series *cough Bakamonogatari cough Kara no Shoujo cough* are what really kill me.  Because at least Akagi doesn't feel like an insufferable jerk (and not the good kind) to me.

I will say I did not like the last arc in Ten at all.  That was like...god damn why
Spoiler: ending spoilers (click to show/hide)

In nobody cares news I played about 6 hours of Chapter 3 of G-senjou no Maou last night.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
1.  Great music
2.  Sympathetic MC
3.  Actual plot with mystery
4.  Still boring 60% of the time

You've gotten so much better Akabesoft2.  I hear they're Akabesoft3 now.

EDIT:
Finished Kanon's Chapter.
Absolutely terrible.  Maou's heroine chapters fucking suck.  I hated Tsubaki's and I'm questioning if Kanon's was worst.  What are the point of these.  They suck suck suck hate loathe undying rage
Spoiler: anger talk (click to show/hide)
I'll finish off Chapter 3 now.  I really don't want to do the next heroine chapter but I need that 100% to put this to rest...maybe it'll be readable and I won't get a concussion...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 04:55:33 pm by ToonyMan »

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12388 on: September 03, 2012, 05:24:15 pm »

Not exactly the typical VN, but I just finished To the Moon.

It's really good.

If you liked True Remembrance, you need to get this.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 05:26:20 pm by Patchouli »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12389 on: September 03, 2012, 05:35:30 pm »

Still boring 60% of the time

Yeah but thats anime... and visual novels.

But 60% ain't bad actually if the 40% is really good.

Heck I've had animes that were 90% boring but had an amazing 10% that made all that worth it
Pages: 1 ... 824 825 [826] 827 828 ... 2193