Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 823 824 [825] 826 827 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3077352 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #12360 on: August 28, 2012, 11:12:00 pm »

I've been poking around Muv-Luv Alternative Chronicles Vol.1 with a translator, and geez this is full of content.  It's three side stories although Unlimited The Day After seems to be the only long-ish one.  There's also a few wallpapers, some podcast thing, and...something special.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Saigo no Eden is also stupidly good.  Fucking Muv-Luv.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12361 on: August 29, 2012, 12:52:45 am »

Japan Check!

I was playing a game and apperantly before Japan opened its boarders the idea of open body surgery was unheard of and that it was western medical practices brought into the country that brought about the advent of surgery in Japan.

Is this true?

I could have sworn Japan had surgery long before... Is it that a stigma of cutting someone open was created or something?

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #12362 on: August 29, 2012, 01:23:58 am »

A brief research foray shows that Japan had surgeons before opening its borders in 1854. Hanaoka Seishu was a noted Japanese surgeon who was known for the first documented use of general anesthesia in 1796. However, his work was not published outside Japan and general anesthesia was later developed independently in the Western world. He based his work on a combination of Chinese herbal medicine (notably accounts of Hua Tao and Western surgical techniques learned from the Dutch. By the time he died in 1835, he had performed over 150 operations for breast cancer.

Also, Confucian teaching held the body as sacred and surgery was seen as body mutilation. Because of this, despite Hua Tao's success as a surgeon, surgical practices in Ancient China basically ended when he died. It didn't help that he burned all of his own notes.

So to sum up:
Japan had surgery before they opened their borders AND the advent of surgery in Japan was brought about by western medical practices. They did not have it long before, because there was a stigma against cutting people open in East Asian culture.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12363 on: August 29, 2012, 01:50:25 am »

Thank you Techhead.

Always weird when something talks about medicine.

I still remember when a movie based in the medieval times, except you know with advanced chemistry and magic, was impressed when hearing about the medical practice of Traction and Reseting bones. Which I am pretty sure they had back then.

Admittingly medicine was VERY spotty in the medieval days. I still remember watching a episode of Kenshin, YES I know this was in Japan and not Medieval Europe, and the doctor thought these people were crazy for asking for the "More expensive medicine"... I wanted to tell the creators that often, because their clients were poor, doctors would sometimes use inferior medicine or simply wouldn't have access to the "good medicine". It wouldn't have been unusual for a doctor to subscribe a less effective medicine because of cost and she should have instead explained to them that this was the best medicine for this available instead of treating them like they were crazy.

Then again her flaw could be that she is overly proud and often choses not to defend herself in the eyes of others and allows people to come to the wrong conclusions simply because she won't explain herself to morons.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12364 on: August 29, 2012, 11:24:18 am »

It must've been a fairly strong stigma - Japan was ridiculously behind on the inner workings of the body due to the sheer unacceptability of dissections.  They were still probably ahead on medicine for most of the medieval period though because, let's face it, doing nothing at all would be an improvement over a lot of western medicine in that period.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 06:03:04 pm by Leafsnail »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12365 on: August 29, 2012, 12:34:16 pm »

I'll look forward to this one.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12366 on: August 29, 2012, 05:59:23 pm »

It must've been a fairly strong stigma - Japan was ridiculously behind on the inner workings of the body due to the sheer unacceptable of dissections.  They were still probably ahead on medicine for most of the medieval period though because, let's face it, doing nothing at all would be an improvement over a lot of western medicine in that period.

George Washington would have lived if his doctors did nothing.

---

Listened to some Inuyasha themes

You know as much as I give the show a hard time for pretty much going no where and having a serious problem with plot inertia and nothing being truely resolved...

It STILL kinda... has one of my favorite anime songs... dang it!

Dang it Dearest! (and a few others) I could have forgotten about this show if I didn't like you so much. Just like that dang Eurika 7... (I forgot the name of its theme)

Dang lukewarm animes (to me) having themes I really like! (Luckly... Spice and Wolf I like, so I can enjoy its opening theme)

Bleach at least survives this by so RARELY using the themes I like that you can even forget they exist. Them being the "Sad story theme" and the "Jazzy Battle theme"
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 07:23:55 pm by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12367 on: August 29, 2012, 11:46:32 pm »

George Washington would have lived if his doctors did nothing.

http://python.net/crew/manus/Presidents/faq/causes.html
pneumonia, aggravated by weakening of immune system (caught cold while riding on his estate, developed pneumonia, Doctors were called in and they bled him profusely with leeches [because that's what they did] to the point where he could not fight the disease. Probably would have survived with different treatment. Today, doctors believe Washington died of an acute streptococchal infection of the larynx, which caused a painful swelling of the interior of the larynx resulting in suffocation. A tracheostomy probably would have saved his life, and indeed one was suggested by the youngest doctor in attendance, Elisha Dick, but the technique was new and considered unsafe by the elder physicians.)

Nah, he would have died without any treatment, and, on the record, the youngest physician present did recommend alternate treatment which modern doctors believe would have saved him. The youngest doctor was correct, but the elder "bleed them" doctors didn't trust the new-fangled non-bleeding treatment. Familiar story, right?

A generational issue, but not the same as "George Washington would have lived if his doctors did nothing."

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #12368 on: August 29, 2012, 11:48:26 pm »

(Luckly... Spice and Wolf I like, so I can enjoy its opening theme)
I had such a hard-on for spice and wolf, and not just for that holo hussy. All dat mercantile, all dat talk about economics,

I love medieval anime set in europe. I had more fun with Berserk though, I love sitting back watching Guts slicing someone in half while griffon gets tortured.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12369 on: August 30, 2012, 12:04:10 pm »

I gave in and played like twenty more turns of Daiteikoku.
That thing looks great (well, except for "Netorare" tag), but VNDB says theres only TLWIKI translation, and its like 35% done. Are you using that partial patch, or there is some other translation?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12370 on: August 30, 2012, 02:25:21 pm »

I gave in and played like twenty more turns of Daiteikoku.
That thing looks great (well, except for "Netorare" tag), but VNDB says theres only TLWIKI translation, and its like 35% done. Are you using that partial patch, or there is some other translation?
Partial patch.  Almost all of the early scenes are translated besides the event stuff.  I've been using Chiitranslator with Interactive Text Hooker to read the (usually unimportant) untranslated scenes.  And it's Alicesoft so it's not like the writing is amazingly hard to read.  It's probably a lot more accessible than Sengoku Rance beyond the "not fully translated" thing and it's funner than Daibanchou I think.

It's definitely my favorite thing I'm playing right now.  Not counting Dangan Ronpa

EDIT:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 02:49:05 pm by ToonyMan »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12371 on: August 30, 2012, 03:36:13 pm »

I had such a hard-on for spice and wolf, and not just for that holo hussy. All dat mercantile, all dat talk about economics,

I love medieval anime set in europe. I had more fun with Berserk though, I love sitting back watching Guts slicing someone in half while griffon gets tortured.

I will outright admit that while I really like Spice and Wolf

Even I know it can be cripplingly boring at times... and I mean boring... I mean... Full on "Witch Hunter Robin" levels of boring.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12372 on: August 30, 2012, 08:58:22 pm »

Even I know it can be cripplingly boring at times... and I mean boring... I mean... Full on "Witch Hunter Robin" levels of boring.
couldn't be as boring as the 8 infamous episodes of Haruhi Suzumiya

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12373 on: August 30, 2012, 09:43:41 pm »

couldn't be as boring as the 8 infamous episodes of Haruhi Suzumiya

Spice and Wolf did take it's sweet time to get to the good parts, and believe you me when I say the good parts were really good, but the thing that stays with me still after having watched it months and months ago is just how insufferably smug the characters are at times. The dialogue is the equivalent of verbal masturbation, it's disgusting to watch. I've had to put the series down for weeks at a time because of it, and it took forever to finish as a result.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 09:45:24 pm by JoshuaFH »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12374 on: August 30, 2012, 09:45:37 pm »

The dialogue is the equivalent of verbal masturbation, it's disgusting to watch.

What did you think about Akagi?
Pages: 1 ... 823 824 [825] 826 827 ... 2193