Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 821 822 [823] 824 825 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3077449 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #12330 on: August 27, 2012, 02:02:20 am »

Thinking back to Detective Q and its really saddeningly lackluster ending... I have gotten over that and put the show back into my like pile after sitting in my hate pile for quite a bit.

Hmmm... So far the only anime I have in my dislike pile now because of a terrible terrible ending is Inuyasha... and that was because it was all build up with no release.

I am still mad when a series ends without actually completing the story. You just KNOW they are only doing that just in case the SMALL chance they will be renewed... Honestly a great ending can more then double the worth of an anime and a terrible one can destroy it.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #12331 on: August 27, 2012, 03:15:00 am »

I find that I dislike most anime made past the early 00's, for some reason most of it just seems subpar. Not just the animation, which I find has become far sloppier and lazy, but also the story. It seems like everything needs to be about a whiny lead character, how killing is wrong, how everyone should be friends, and their CraaaAaaaAAazzZZy hijinks.

Armored Trooper Votoms, Battle Angel, Gundam Wing, Shadow Skill (the OVA) were all good. They all had strong characters who didn't blather on and on how about how HARD everything is, how incompetent they were, or had hours and hours of UNFUNNY SHITTY JOKES THAT WENT ON AND ON AND ON. Most of you people are lucky you didn't have to sit through Inuyasha, the show that never ACCOMPLISHED A GOD DAMN THING.

I did how ever like an anime with a whiny, incompetent character who was a bumble fuck. Eureka Seven. It didn't have many jokes, it took itself entirely seriously even having the main character (who's somewhere between 14-16) accused of attempted rape. It also has layer and layer of mindfuck, which I enjoyed. Every single character shits on Renton most of the time for no reason, other times going out of their way and inconveniencing themselves to do it.

Seriously. It's pretty good.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #12332 on: August 27, 2012, 04:00:01 am »

Seriously. It's pretty good.
Seconded. "Pretty good" is an understatement. I started watching it last Monday. I just finished episode 42 about an hour ago. The only reason I haven't finished it already is I'm trying to pace myself.

Now if you'll excuse me, I think I want to watch episode 43 now.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12333 on: August 27, 2012, 04:43:23 am »

@Kilroy the Grand: Are you that's not a nostalgia filter going on there? Generally only the best shows/songs/movies get remembered, all the awful ones get forgotten, not subbed or recommended. Also, prior to the internet, what got over to the west had to jump through HEAPS of hurdles before anyone in the west heard of it. Contrast that with living in the present where you can now google every show as it's going to air in Japan, download raws or subs almost as soon as it airs in Japanese.

There are 100's of anime series from the 80's and 90's which are total crap, and/or never became widely known in the west. How many truly amazing ones can you list from this golden era? Hyper Police, Macross 7, Cat Girl Nuku Nuku are all typical crappy 90's anime fare, shows like this vastly out-number shows like Evangelion.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 04:58:05 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12334 on: August 27, 2012, 04:53:45 am »

Eureka Seven. It didn't have many jokes, it took itself entirely seriously even having the main character (who's somewhere between 14-16) accused of attempted rape. It also has layer and layer of mindfuck, which I enjoyed. Every single character shits on Renton most of the time for no reason, other times going out of their way and inconveniencing themselves to do it

I thought it was alright... but it had so little pay off for me.

Probably because I was supposed to realise the characters were already perfect and it wasn't a comming of age story.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12335 on: August 27, 2012, 01:41:11 pm »

I've finished Angel Densetsu, and I'm going to have to recommend it to everyone here who enjoys the slice-of-life/action genre.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12336 on: August 27, 2012, 01:43:58 pm »

Code Geass was well worth it. Hell, I can vouch for everything you listed (except for Lucky Star, as I've yet to watch it).

Honestly, I'd watch CG twice, once subbed and once dubbed, because both sets of VAs had some truly outstanding hams.

LARGE HAMS YOU SAY!?

WHY, THIS HAS PUT THIS MOST MAGNIFIENT SHOW AT THE TOP OF THE LIST!

I DEMAND HAMS AS LARGE AS THE SKIES THEMSELVES.  I WILL NOT BE SATISFIED UNLESS THESE HAMS ARE LARGE ENOUGH TO KILL A SMALL FAMILY FROM CHOLESTEROL POISONING.
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

empfan

• Bay Watcher
  • Dungeon Keeper and part-time Firekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12337 on: August 27, 2012, 02:38:22 pm »

watched Mardock Scramble...Very, Very odd movie.  Second one seems to be weirder, The defense system was nice though.  I recommend it. Just be prepared for grotesqueness and other such things.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #12338 on: August 27, 2012, 03:02:41 pm »

I find that I dislike most anime made past the early 00's, for some reason most of it just seems subpar. Not just the animation, which I find has become far sloppier and lazy, but also the story.
I'm not incredibly versed in anime, but I will say that I'm incredibly put off from watching a show if it makes no effort to hide the fact that some things are CGI. I'd frankly much rather see a poorly-animated, poorly-drawn blob that fits the art style than some very pretty but very obviously CGI ship. I don't care if it's cell-shaded or whatever; incredibly obvious CGI is jarring, and should only be used when the contrast is for some effect, otherwise it tends to break immersion (I make an exception to this for live-action shows, since they generally don't have the time or budget to make it look more realistic, whereas I really doubt it's that hard to make CGI look vaguely cartoony).

As for bad stories, I'm pretty sure that's just an example of Sturgeon's Law in effect. I'm pretty sure 90% of anime is crap I'd never want to watch, but I've certainly found some stuff I like, so I don't think it's all bad.

Also, I have a request. It's not really pertinent, but I'd like examples of spacey sci-fi that isn't about robots.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12339 on: August 27, 2012, 03:15:22 pm »

Finally getting around to watching Soul Eater. I like it.

Especially Stein. :))
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12340 on: August 27, 2012, 03:17:53 pm »

Also, I have a request. It's not really pertinent, but I'd like examples of spacey sci-fi that isn't about robots.
Planetes and Magnetic Rose from the movie Memories are good choices.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #12341 on: August 27, 2012, 03:43:03 pm »

I would really recommend both of those. In addition: Cowboy Bebop is a a classic. Moretsu Space Pirates is also a pretty good choice. Voices of a Distant Star has robots, but isn't really about robots, and I would consider it a must-watch.

For more recommendations, I'd like to know how "spacey" you want your sci-fi. If you want harder sci-fi that's set almost entirely in space, your options are more limited.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #12342 on: August 27, 2012, 03:49:00 pm »

Looking over those, I feel I should say that I'm more interested in somewhat soft sci-fi about travels to many different worlds, in the vein of Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebob, certain parts of Dragon Ball Z, Firefly, Star Trek, and Star Wars. Basically, traveling to new and interesting places to meet new and interesting people (or possible aliens).
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #12343 on: August 27, 2012, 03:56:07 pm »

Anime Star Trek, then?

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #12344 on: August 27, 2012, 03:59:57 pm »

Is that even a real thing?
Glory to Arstotzka!
Pages: 1 ... 821 822 [823] 824 825 ... 2193