Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 820 821 [822] 823 824 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3077341 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #12315 on: August 24, 2012, 07:16:38 pm »

I finished Tiger & Bunny.  Well...

Setting was nice, characters were good, music was in a style I really liked.  Actually got me excited and all that.  The first half was pretty entertaining, Episode 15 was my favorite in that it was written so well.

But the final arc was very very mediocre and a lot of the actually interesting plotlines are dropped in favor of...really bad melodrama?  The amount of bad writing decisions they made in the last few episodes were innumerable and hurt my mood severely.

Man I'm a crabby bastard aren't I?

It's not bad...just don't take it seriously even if you want to.

EDIT:
Like, at certain parts of the game I was just clicking past the dialogue as fast as possible with my head held in my hand, it was just so painful to even read.
Hahahahahahahahahahahah
aha
hahahahahahah
ahahahahah

How many times do I feel like that?  Too many.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 07:18:13 pm by ToonyMan »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12316 on: August 24, 2012, 07:31:08 pm »

dear god it just got sadder

oh hey, the movie is actually a movie and not a clip show like every single other anime movie ever

guess i get to watch that soon
I thought it was pretty bad, though. :(
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12317 on: August 24, 2012, 07:35:17 pm »

Macross Plus: Movie Version

they already did that for you. Google is your friend.

There are sort of no aliens in it... or space travel really...

Also the music includes some weird chorus that plays a lot in it.

I'm not sure which one you mean. That's sounds like a description of Macross Plus, which almost all takes place on a planetary surface and doesn't have any aliens, and has that weird song "voices" they keep playing.

EDIT: so you have - sci-fi, no aliens, few or no space scenes, fighter planes, fake virtual idol, weird ethereal music, feature film. Definitely Macross Plus.

EDIT2: Just watching Deadman Wonderland episode 8 and it has a Macross 7 reference (guitar warrior dude at the start "listen to my song" same wording and intonation as Nekki Barasa). lol @ references to weird animes.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 08:12:55 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12318 on: August 25, 2012, 06:21:51 pm »

Macross Plus huh?

Odd... but maybe. I'll watch it and see if it is the movie.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12319 on: August 26, 2012, 04:41:06 am »

I gave in and played like twenty more turns of Daiteikoku.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is fun.

...I also watched nine episodes of Lucky Star very recently.
1.  There's nothing to it, there's...nothing to it.
2.  Some of the music is really good.
3.  The art is cheap as fuck, go gag talent.  KyoAni sometimes give it respectable shots...seldom.
4.  You will be embarrassed watching this.

Angel Densetsu is the best.  I couldn't imagine how they could keep such a short gimmick going but I'm on volume 8 now and it has gotten big!
This is probably just going to be a repeat of what Taz shared but whatever!

Also the Dangan Ronpa LP has started Chapter 5 now...it will be the best chapter yet.

...I...I have classes tomorrow.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #12320 on: August 26, 2012, 10:34:45 am »

I tried watching Lucky Star and I couldn't finish the first episode. They just kept talking about food.

In other news, I'm really enjoying Eureka 7. I'm up to episode 32 already, but I don't feel like writing about it when I could instead be watching more of it.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12321 on: August 26, 2012, 10:49:33 am »

Finished Eva.

Brilliant.  Terrifying.  Deppressing.  A little messed up at times, but brilliant.

My face throughout the first episode and a half:

My face almost constantly after that:

I must say I enjoyed watching it, if I need a bit of mental rehabilitation.  The character development was great, the battles were awesome (if a tad sickening at times), there was only one character who I felt like punching in the face *CouAsukagh*, and I actually managed to keep track of the plot for the most part, although I was as confused as heck until the ending as to just what everyone was planning.

So then I watched FLCL to cheer myself up.

Big mistake.

My head is now in the mental equivalent of a pretzel.

♫Riiide on shooooting staaaar!♫

So now back to the list, for when I have the time again:

-Code Geass (This thing is ALL OVER TVTropes and I hear it reffered to often, so it's probably pretty good)

-Lucky Star (This thing is freaking everywhere!)

-Cowboy Bebop (Had no clue what it was at all until I came across it on TVtropes.  The heavy integration of the music interests me.)

-Totoro (Have absolutely no clue what it is, but I hear the phrase "What do you mean you haven't seen Totoro?!" bandied about a bit, so I figured it must be pretty good.  At the very least I'm going to watch it to understand what that giant raccoon/owl thing is.)

-Anything Miyazaki, I have only seen Kiki's delivery service at this point in time, so I gotta see the rest of 'em sometime, especially Howl's Moving Castle, I have a friend who bugs me to watch it almost as much as I bug her to watch TTGL 

Suggestions on which to watch next or stuff to put on the list?
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12322 on: August 26, 2012, 11:24:40 am »

I'm currently reading the manga of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, but the scanlation for the fourth arc is godawful, completely terrible, I can't tell if this is being translated by a Japanese person with only a tangential grasp of English, or an English translator that stupidly insists on translating literally and he himself is questionably brain damaged.

It really bothers me, but I continue reading because I think the manga is really badass. I'm starting to think that the bad translation gives everything a weird charm though, since this mode of translating makes everyone speak in very simple terms and in a very straightforward manner, like every character really is just the dumb meathead stereotype.

I need to only read in short bursts though, because exposing myself to this is damaging my natural comprehension of the English language, and after reading a lot I need to put conscious effort into not continuing to think in the simple, straightforward, grammatically broken style that's present in the manga. It's like how I was after I read My Immortal in a single sitting, or after spending three months on the GameFAQ forums and then signing up here for the first time. My literacy needs time to recover.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12323 on: August 26, 2012, 11:29:15 am »

Code Geass was well worth it. Hell, I can vouch for everything you listed (except for Lucky Star, as I've yet to watch it).

Honestly, I'd watch CG twice, once subbed and once dubbed, because both sets of VAs had some truly outstanding hams.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12324 on: August 26, 2012, 12:04:13 pm »

I'm currently reading the manga of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, but the scanlation for the fourth arc is godawful, completely terrible, I can't tell if this is being translated by a Japanese person with only a tangential grasp of English, or an English translator that stupidly insists on translating literally and he himself is questionably brain damaged.
My favourite theory concerning this kind of translations is that they're made by somebody in India who's been handed English/Chinese and Japanese/Chinese dictionaries.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12325 on: August 26, 2012, 04:43:20 pm »

You should see how fun playing a game with a translator is.  Not even Atlas or OCN can save you!!
Spoiler: relevant (click to show/hide)

I'm still trying to figure out why 24 minutes of nothing happening has any value whatsoever.  It is making me look forward to the next Subahibi partial patch though.  Because that shit was bonkers.

I'm also still severely depressed that every VN isn't about mecha, space aliens, and multidimensional sliders.  Let's add some denpa for safe measures.

I need to start part 2 of Jojo at some point.  Also finish a bunch of series I have...sometime Never7
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 04:46:41 pm by ToonyMan »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12326 on: August 26, 2012, 07:14:10 pm »

Yeah, I just kind of gave up on it after the translations started to degrade, so you're a better man than I.

Toony, you've convinced me to read Angel Densetsu as well! I'm on volume eleven, chapter 55 in specific.
I have to say, I'm liking a lot (not that I really ever comment on things I don't like...). I'd say it's pretty solidly above-above-average, right around the level of something like Gantz or Liar Game.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #12327 on: August 26, 2012, 11:21:08 pm »

I posted this in the Happy Thread, but I suppose it might be more relevant here:

I just got done watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Although it's a bit weak in the beginning when everything is pretty much identical to the original anime (mostly because of the way certain plot points and secrets are revealed, the pace of FMA feels more satisfying than early FMA:B). After seeing everything that was done in the first series done a bit shorter and a bit worse (though not actually bad, for the most part) the series starts doing it's own thing (which I hear is actually more like the original manga's thing), and it gets better, then awesome, then freaking epic.

Although the first anime had better pacing and a pretty good story, I think I might like Brotherhood a bit better, because it has great characters not seen in the previous anime (or not fleshed out as much, in some cases) and a great story. I'd still personally recommend watching Fullmetal Alchemist before watching Brotherhood,though, since the beginning of the later ruins great twist revelations of the former.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12328 on: August 27, 2012, 12:20:46 am »

Thanks for that, i have FMA here in my pile (once i finish every shorter series i have :P), here and was wondering whether to watch it or skip over it for FMA:B, i guess i'll watch both.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #12329 on: August 27, 2012, 12:55:33 am »

No problem. Also, another thing to keep in mind: don't assume that the same basic principles about how the world works are the same. At a certain point, spoilers from one series don't apply at all to the other.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!
Pages: 1 ... 820 821 [822] 823 824 ... 2193