Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 815 816 [817] 818 819 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3077727 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #12240 on: August 14, 2012, 04:44:13 pm »

Holy crap FLCL's dub is horrible. I just saw a clip from it and it could be mistaken for a fandub. It was like they didn't have any voice actors that actually fit the characters that well, so they just went with the closest ones they had.

You don't always have to have a voice actor that is close to the anime voice actor so far as they are capable of projecting the character instead.

Don't get me wrong... I am sure FLCL's dub is absolutely dreadful. I just wanted to say that so long as a voice fits a character it is fine even if the voice doesn't fit the original voice of the dub...

Yeah, that's why I said "fit the characters" instead of "matched the Japanese voices". I guess my thing about picking the closest actors made it sound like I wanted them to match the original voices, so I get why you thought that.

The voices weren't like the Japanese voices, but that wasn't why I didn't like it. They just sounded completely and utterly generic, when none of the characters in FLCL are generic. Naota was just "little boy voice", Haruko was just "young woman voice". It was like they saw a picture of each character and chose the voices from that, rather than choosing them based on how the characters acted.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12241 on: August 15, 2012, 05:56:49 am »

I've seen a good amount of what was suggested, and I'll be watching a good portion of what was suggested that I hadn't seen.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12242 on: August 15, 2012, 03:56:21 pm »

So I find myself suffering from post-series depression.

In-depth "review":

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12243 on: August 16, 2012, 12:43:23 am »

Okay fuck it I'll give it an 8 I guess...
Exactly my feelings when I finished MLA. It was so great till ep10, no idea how could they make such pathetic ending. What happened to their own "people die only when forgotten" concept?

Re. MLA:TE anime - its just mecha harem anime, its nowhere near MLA, just same setting. We got to see some MLA-rate scenes in ep2, but rest of it is boring. AFAIK there will be few more battles with BETAs in anime, but not much.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #12244 on: August 17, 2012, 01:50:33 am »

Finished the second episode of Cowboy Bebop. It's pretty good. A little slow-paced, though.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12245 on: August 17, 2012, 02:02:36 am »

The end of episode 15 of Tiger & Bunny was such a low-blow.  My sooooul
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
;_;

For manga I'm on volume 3 of Jojo part 1.  This is pretty hard to read sometimes but I can see why it's good.  The names in this are fantastic though.

For VNs I'm on chapter 2 of G-senjou no Maou.  Liking it better than Sharin no Kuni.  It seems fairly obvious that--

...Somebody isn't going to be too happy when classes start.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12246 on: August 17, 2012, 02:41:15 pm »

For VNs I'm on chapter 2 of G-senjou no Maou.  Liking it better than Sharin no Kuni.  It seems fairly obvious that--
Its quite complicated and non-linear. Also, its best to follow correct order of routes, going with true route last, otherwise too much spoilers in true route.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12247 on: August 17, 2012, 02:48:45 pm »

I was planning on going without a walkthrough.  I assumed the true route would be locked but if it's not it's best I don't fuck myself I guess.  I miss you forced route choices.

Is it okay for me to open that spoiler?  I don't even know if I have the walkthrough let me look...

EDIT:
Never mind I found the walkthrough on TLWiki.  I did the same thing for Kara no Shoujo.  Thanks for the tip.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 02:55:44 pm by ToonyMan »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #12248 on: August 17, 2012, 03:05:14 pm »

Five episodes into Cowboy Bebop. Pretty good, but I'm getting annoyed at how Spike is the only character with any real depth. Jet gets a little, but really nothing that impressive at this point. He feels like he'll get expanded on soon, though.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12249 on: August 17, 2012, 08:23:24 pm »

The other characters get more depth eventually, and it's a great series, be sure to watch the whole thing.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12250 on: August 17, 2012, 10:47:50 pm »

Cowboy Bebop At His Computer. Hilarity Ensues. Warning: TV Tropes.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12251 on: August 17, 2012, 11:40:43 pm »

Just watched Laputa: Castle in the Sky. What more watched it with a bunch of friends and we couldn't stop laughing as we kept ripping into odd things. Don't get me wrong we loved the movie regardless but it makes it so much more amusing to point out odd things.

That said does Laputa and Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind take place in the same world? They have the same fox/cat creature thing.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12252 on: August 17, 2012, 11:50:57 pm »

I managed to get Cristina Vee's autograph.

I'm pretty thrilled because I like Riven's voice from League of Legends, and I love her voice work for Skullgirls.

She also sang a bit of "Part of Your World" from The Little Mermaid, and she's a wonderful singer in person, Youtube definitely doesn't do her singing voice justice.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12253 on: August 18, 2012, 12:14:14 am »

The end of episode 15 of Tiger & Bunny was such a low-blow.  My sooooul
;_;

Skyyyy Highhhhhhh.
I was all the sads at the end of that episode.

Sky High gets props for being a well done character in my opinion. Usually the analogical captain of the football team is a total dick but in this case he's a really sweet guy, if a bit clueless.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #12254 on: August 18, 2012, 02:01:16 am »

Just watched Laputa: Castle in the Sky. What more watched it with a bunch of friends and we couldn't stop laughing as we kept ripping into odd things. Don't get me wrong we loved the movie regardless but it makes it so much more amusing to point out odd things.

That said does Laputa and Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind take place in the same world? They have the same fox/cat creature thing.
I dont think any of his movies take place in the same universe.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 815 816 [817] 818 819 ... 2193