Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 814 815 [816] 817 818 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3077717 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #12225 on: August 13, 2012, 07:23:32 am »

Recently watched and liked:

Haibane Renmei
Mawaru Penguindrum
Shinryaku! Ika Musume   

----------

I'll hold that the Spice and Wolf economics is more realistic than what sounds like the almost game-show format of C where he has "sold his future" and has to "perform in weekly tournaments called 'deals' to win back his future."

Hell, the "deals" sound like they involve pokemon-style creatures called "assets" which fight along side the "entre" (entrepeneur) who put his "future" up as collateral.

The "deal" is described as:

A battle between Entres and their Assets. Each Deal lasts 666 seconds (11 minutes, 6 seconds), with hits and damage affecting how much money is gained or lost. Dealers use their money to summon their Assets' attacks, or perform "Direct" attacks by creating an energy blade to confront their enemies by themselves. Each Entre is obliged to take part on a Deal once per week but can avoid taking part on one by paying half of his/her fortune.

It's pokemon but with some finance terminology tacked on top. You can actually learn about some economics with Spice and Wolf. C is based on economics the way spiderman is based on Arachnology (study of spiders).
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 07:38:22 am by Reelya »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12226 on: August 13, 2012, 10:40:40 am »

You can actually learn about some economics from 700-1000 years ago with Spice and Wolf.

Fixed. Good show, but economics have changed quite a bit since we stopped using horse carts and gold/silver coinage.

I would recommend Hyouka for current season anime.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12227 on: August 13, 2012, 11:00:38 am »

I'd still contend that it's more applicable than C as a lesson on trading. Some of the trading tricks are still relevant (dodgy scales being one example).

Also the haggling tricks may be declined in the west, but it's alive and well if you went to a market anywhere in the third world. And they still use horse and cart in many places.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 11:02:11 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12228 on: August 13, 2012, 06:50:55 pm »

I am find Kenshin to be sort of odd

In that it is actually a anime that doesn't waste a lot of time, unlike almost all the others I seen that can have nothing happen and call it an episode. There were several points I almost left because I thought an episode was over but it was only at the halfway mark.

It actually uses its time well and usually has a good fight.

If Prince of Tennis was more like that and actually shown me Tennis matches and not a series of stills (Ohh boy does Prince of Tennis abuse those action still shots.) I would have loved it a lot more.

Kenshin the anime is still rather harsh to its female protagonists though... but it is an anime where being a woman is practically a disability (in fact... One episode outright admitted that being a woman makes you weak... and actually didn't try to contradict it)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 07:10:05 pm by Neonivek »

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12229 on: August 13, 2012, 07:53:08 pm »

Hmm...War, Economics and useless meat ~YAY~
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12230 on: August 13, 2012, 08:22:15 pm »

It is rather interesting.

Being that it is a fantastical world filled with demons, gods, and spirits and yet it is almost completely background detail because everything that happens could have happened normally. Explanations are not that of grand spells but of perfectly natural causes.

This is started to feel like the Japanese equivilant of shows like Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12231 on: August 13, 2012, 09:38:57 pm »

Let's GET IT ON
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 12:57:49 am by ToonyMan »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12232 on: August 13, 2012, 10:44:53 pm »

FINALLY!

The first female victory over a named character. It sure took long enough.

Mind you there have been a lot of fights... but they always end with the woman losing, usually embarassingly. This is actually the first real victory.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 10:46:44 pm by Neonivek »

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #12233 on: August 13, 2012, 11:16:32 pm »

I'll hold that the Spice and Wolf economics is more realistic than what sounds like the almost game-show format of C where he has "sold his future" and has to "perform in weekly tournaments called 'deals' to win back his future."

Hell, the "deals" sound like they involve pokemon-style creatures called "assets" which fight along side the "entre" (entrepeneur) who put his "future" up as collateral.

The "deal" is described as:

A battle between Entres and their Assets. Each Deal lasts 666 seconds (11 minutes, 6 seconds), with hits and damage affecting how much money is gained or lost. Dealers use their money to summon their Assets' attacks, or perform "Direct" attacks by creating an energy blade to confront their enemies by themselves. Each Entre is obliged to take part on a Deal once per week but can avoid taking part on one by paying half of his/her fortune.

It's pokemon but with some finance terminology tacked on top. You can actually learn about some economics with Spice and Wolf. C is based on economics the way spiderman is based on Arachnology (study of spiders).
Spice and Wolf is absolutely more realistic. The condition [C] satisfies was an anime based on economics, not an anime with a sound footing in it.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12234 on: August 13, 2012, 11:38:19 pm »

That description however sounds less like a anime on economics and more of a anime VERY VERY loosely based on buisness... No wait not even. It would be an anime where buisnesses exist and it is about buisnesses fighting eachother for money until they go bankrupt.

Honestly I am not sure it would be a anime based on economics. I guess I would have to see it.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 11:40:22 pm by Neonivek »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #12235 on: August 14, 2012, 02:58:10 am »

Holy crap FLCL's dub is horrible. I just saw a clip from it and it could be mistaken for a fandub. It was like they didn't have any voice actors that actually fit the characters that well, so they just went with the closest ones they had.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12236 on: August 14, 2012, 03:29:18 am »

??? 8) ??? ???
Bullshit sensors tingling...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 03:37:12 am by ToonyMan »

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #12237 on: August 14, 2012, 11:01:45 am »

That description however sounds less like a anime on economics and more of a anime VERY VERY loosely based on buisness... No wait not even. It would be an anime where buisnesses exist and it is about buisnesses fighting eachother for money until they go bankrupt.

Honestly I am not sure it would be a anime based on economics. I guess I would have to see it.
Well, there is some economics in it, but it's kinda like "What would economies be like if there was a secret world where people gambled on monster battles using money abstractly borrowed against people's futures?"
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12238 on: August 14, 2012, 02:18:15 pm »

Holy crap FLCL's dub is horrible. I just saw a clip from it and it could be mistaken for a fandub. It was like they didn't have any voice actors that actually fit the characters that well, so they just went with the closest ones they had.

You don't always have to have a voice actor that is close to the anime voice actor so far as they are capable of projecting the character instead.

It is why the Canadian dub of Serena I consider to be better then the Japanese dub in terms of NOT BEING ANNOYING to me. Yet they both do their jobs of telling me her character. Serena's voice is no where close to the high pitch of Usagi but I think they do well.

It is why I consider the English dub of fullmoon wo sagashite to be absolutely garbage. Almost none of the voices properly project the characters involved. Ooshige having a mature soothing voice that never goes frantic? Are they even trying?

As well Fullmoon Wo Sagashite is probably one of the few times I actually outright saw the need for localisation. TRUST me when I say that a name like Wakaoiji REALLY sounds weird in english.

--

Don't get me wrong... I am sure FLCL's dub is absolutely dreadful. I just wanted to say that so long as a voice fits a character it is fine even if the voice doesn't fit the original voice of the dub...

DANG IT! a better example would be Goku. Goku's dub voice is completely different then the original one... and I actually prefer it as well.

Don't get me wrong. There is one dub also where the english dub actually makes the main character MORE annoying... HOLY COW Excell Saga.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 02:20:30 pm by Neonivek »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12239 on: August 14, 2012, 04:23:20 pm »

Uuuuuh what

<3  SAVE IN THE NAME OF TRUE LOVE <3

Okay fuck it I'll give it an 8 I guess...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 04:53:04 pm by ToonyMan »
Pages: 1 ... 814 815 [816] 817 818 ... 2193