Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 813 814 [815] 816 817 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3077769 times)

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #12210 on: August 13, 2012, 12:17:21 am »

This is the part where you all suggest good anime for me to watch.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #12211 on: August 13, 2012, 12:23:36 am »

I've only watched four so far but I rank them as such:
  • FLCL: Super hilarious, super deep. It's very short and it's fantastic in pretty much every way.
  • Madoka: Super grimdark, super sad. Punches you in the face at the end of pretty much every episode. I cried like five times. A+ would cry again.
  • Gurren Lagann: Super over-the-top, super fun. Not very deep, but makes up for it by being constantly tremendously fun.
  • Evangelion: Super existential, super psychological. I didn't cry but I definitely despaired.
I highly recommend all of them. Eva is still completely fantastic even though it's in last place, because I really haven't watched any bad anime yet.

edit: oh my god all the Cowboy Bebop titles are awesome song names this is going to be awesome
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 12:25:12 am by penguinofhonor »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12212 on: August 13, 2012, 12:46:06 am »

I can vouch for Eva.

The ONLY reason I don't watch it is that it is a very depressing series.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12213 on: August 13, 2012, 01:36:40 am »

• Tatami Galaxy - Extremely fast-paced fun dialogue, one of my favorite anime series. One of the best endings in an anime series.
  • Millennium Actress - Exhilarating film, my favorite anime movie. Satoshi Kon's early stuff is unique to me in that they feel like they could translate into live action movies, but I think plenty will disagree with me.
  • Mind Game - Crazy movie, and a visual fun-fest. One of the best endings in an anime movie.
  • Spirited Away - Incredible movie that uses the advantage of animation to amazing results. Super good music too.
  • Mushishi - For something more episodic in nature, Mushishi can't be beat. There's a lot of creativity in the creatures and the atmosphere of the show ranges from relaxing pleasure to a deep melancholy.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12214 on: August 13, 2012, 02:17:25 am »

Ohh wait... I watch good anime sometimes! Uhhhh... hmm... uhhhh...

Dang it everything I love is either niche, cheesy, or girly...

All I have is
-Full Moon Wo Sagashite (Girly AND Niche): A Story about a little girl with Sarcoma who is going to die in a year so she decides to become a singer using her magic Shinigami. It has a great pay off if you see it through.
-Master Cooking Boy (Cheesy AND Niche): A Chinese Anime, don't know the word for it, about a Boy who uses his amazing cooking skills to illogical ends. Mao is also the BIGGEST MARY SUE IN ANIME OUTSIDE FANFICTION!

I have others but... I have no faith in their mass appeal (Dang it Yakkate Japan and Yamino Pastichie). As well I don't remember all the anime I've seen. Ohh wait I know!

-Hetalia (Can see English version legally for free on youtube!): A anime about racist steriotypes talking to other racist steriotypes! Oddly enough the overall message of the entire anime has under its jokes is that the world is great so we should all just get along. Plus each episode is 5 minute chunks.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12215 on: August 13, 2012, 02:37:54 am »

No one has mentioned elfen lied, code geass, or full metal alchemist?
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12216 on: August 13, 2012, 02:56:36 am »

No one has mentioned elfen lied, code geass, or full metal alchemist?

I said I don't like depressing animes at the moment.

Hmmm... I am noticing a lot of these are depressing.

Also elfen lied is rather dividing of an anime.

Hmm what about Deathnote? It is like Elfen Lied except less manipulative.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12217 on: August 13, 2012, 03:14:51 am »

I have been thinking about watching Deathnote, I haven't actually done so yet though. And yeah, for some reason I like depressing animes xD
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12218 on: August 13, 2012, 03:19:40 am »

Angel Beats! is basically antidepressants in anime form, if you want something glurgy.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12219 on: August 13, 2012, 03:20:44 am »

I have been thinking about watching Deathnote, I haven't actually done so yet though. And yeah, for some reason I like depressing animes xD

Hmm if you don't mind cute girly anime with a bit of filler... Full moon wo sagashite may be right up your alley... if you can survive the sheer number of episodes.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12220 on: August 13, 2012, 03:27:11 am »

Lol I don't think girlyness will scare me away, I might check it out

Edit: I just wiki'd it and it sounds interesting ('good' interesting, not 'bad' interesting xD)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 03:31:22 am by Kedly »

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12221 on: August 13, 2012, 03:36:41 am »

Spice and Wolf: Slow-paced anime. It has a dose of comedy, dose of action and dose of fantasy themes. As far as I know, there are two series 13 episodes each + 1 OVA.

Toshokan Sensou: Library Wars, about censorship, library soldiers and some occassional shooting.

Gilgamesh: Quite depressing, psychological (and slightly disturbing). People say it was boring, but I liked it quite a lot.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12222 on: August 13, 2012, 03:50:14 am »

Spice and Wolf: Slow-paced anime. It has a dose of comedy, dose of action and dose of fantasy themes. As far as I know, there are two series 13 episodes each + 1 OVA.

It is also the only anime I am aware of based on economics.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12223 on: August 13, 2012, 05:35:24 am »

And honestly, the themes are present throughout the rest of the anime. It's ham-handed in the extreme to just take the anime full stop so you can whine full time without letting the plot get in your way.
Isn't it also to do with the fact that Gainax had literally no money by that point?

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #12224 on: August 13, 2012, 05:37:12 am »

If you are going to skip the last two episodes of Eva, at least catch the AU bit on YouTube.

It is also the only anime I am aware of based on economics.
Ahem.
[C] -The Money and Soul of Possibility
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.
Pages: 1 ... 813 814 [815] 816 817 ... 2193