Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 798 799 [800] 801 802 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3078557 times)

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #11985 on: July 03, 2012, 12:40:02 am »

Some series have filler that outshines the main storyline, too. Slayers is a partial example; a lot of the macguffin searching episodes were more entertaining than seeing yet another demon or crazy sorcerer wanting Ultimate Power.

Yeah honestly some series has filler even better then the main story (Even outside anime... X-files was like this).

But really boring filler in a series that has a lot of it can really bog the experience down. It can make even the most exciting parts of the series seem boring in memory simply because you will recall the 10 filler episodes that came after it that were about sitting around doing nothing.

Yea, but that not the fault of it being filler though, thats the fault of the production studio, and we dont know what constrains they have to work under to produce the filler episodes.

Plus some magna, have their own filler, like Bleach does. Fucking bleach. Fuck you Tite.

OK. Now I'm confused. I thought filler usually referred to the stuff added to a concurrent adaptation that are outside the media that they are adapting, to give time for the original work to catch up. How the heck can the X-files or the Bleach manga have filler? Wouldn't that just be episodic stories rather than ones that effect the main plotline? Which are kind of a thing in telling long stories. Or like, outsourced storytelling while the lead writer catches up? I don't really know what you're referring to.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11986 on: July 03, 2012, 12:47:42 am »

Well that is one of the things Kinseti is that often filler is in the eyes of the beholder.

Though generally speaking switching from continuity to episodic tends to be called filler as they are just "filling up space".

Filler is any episode made to take up space so to speak.

Basically ask yourself: Did this episode have any purpose to be here other then it was cool?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #11987 on: July 03, 2012, 01:15:14 am »

Some series have filler that outshines the main storyline, too. Slayers is a partial example; a lot of the macguffin searching episodes were more entertaining than seeing yet another demon or crazy sorcerer wanting Ultimate Power.

Yeah honestly some series has filler even better then the main story (Even outside anime... X-files was like this).

But really boring filler in a series that has a lot of it can really bog the experience down. It can make even the most exciting parts of the series seem boring in memory simply because you will recall the 10 filler episodes that came after it that were about sitting around doing nothing.

Yea, but that not the fault of it being filler though, thats the fault of the production studio, and we dont know what constrains they have to work under to produce the filler episodes.

Plus some magna, have their own filler, like Bleach does. Fucking bleach. Fuck you Tite.

OK. Now I'm confused. I thought filler usually referred to the stuff added to a concurrent adaptation that are outside the media that they are adapting, to give time for the original work to catch up. How the heck can the X-files or the Bleach manga have filler? Wouldn't that just be episodic stories rather than ones that effect the main plotline? Which are kind of a thing in telling long stories. Or like, outsourced storytelling while the lead writer catches up? I don't really know what you're referring to.
Another term for filler, is padding.  X-Files had a continuous storyline, revolving around govt. conspiracy to help alien take over the earth, somehow. (Something to do with genetics and things), but often its more memorable episodes, are the one off that dont deal with the actual storyline. The filler episodes.

Bleach, happens to have a terrible author who doesnt know what he's doing, and doesn't have anything planned. Often time, it feels like he gets bored, or cant figure out where to continue, so whenever you go back to Earth and deal with the kids, and the TV personality exorcist battling Hollows, that also padding/filler.

Filler/padding can also exist within an episode of a show or issue of a magna. Uh, I cant think of any example of these though, but they exist.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11988 on: July 03, 2012, 01:45:03 am »

Bleach, happens to have a terrible author who doesnt know what he's doing, and doesn't have anything planned

Thats what happens when someone takes a series that had a planned ending REALLY early and decides to continue it.

I am sure EVERYONE knows this already... but the series was meant to end during the Soul Society Arc.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11989 on: July 03, 2012, 03:10:44 am »

Oh god Franken Fran...

Fran, why you such an airhead?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11990 on: July 03, 2012, 03:14:00 am »

Well I played Planetarian in one sitting for some reason.  It's too short for me to hate it or anything I guess.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT:
Daisuke Ono voices the MC in the PS2 port?!  I wouldn't have mind that at all

EDITX2:
Daisuke Ono voices a character in 999's sequel Zero Escape?!  That will be fun.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 03:22:22 am by ToonyMan »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #11991 on: July 03, 2012, 03:30:29 am »

Bleach, happens to have a terrible author who doesnt know what he's doing, and doesn't have anything planned

Thats what happens when someone takes a series that had a planned ending REALLY early and decides to continue it.

I am sure EVERYONE knows this already... but the series was meant to end during the Soul Society Arc.
If you say so. He had a secondary plot, dealing with mistrust among the Shinigami before then and ends the Rescue Arc with the reveal of Aizen being a traitor.  But even before then... it didnt feel that Tite knew what he was actually writing, or any kind of direction at all.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11992 on: July 03, 2012, 03:53:47 am »

What I saw of the anime struck me as a "I write it as I go along" type of storytelling. Supposedly he makes new characters to deal with writer's block, which may explain the massive influx of characters during the soul society arc and general lack of direction/slow pace. I stopped watching it after that.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11993 on: July 03, 2012, 03:57:30 am »

If you say so. He had a secondary plot, dealing with mistrust among the Shinigami before then and ends the Rescue Arc with the reveal of Aizen being a traitor.  But even before then... it didnt feel that Tite knew what he was actually writing, or any kind of direction at all.

Sorry I may have got my names a bit confused.

You know when everyone goes to the soul society and that? That was part of the planned ending.

basically imagine Aizen didn't get away and Ichigo managed to kill him.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11994 on: July 03, 2012, 04:12:42 am »

Also I want to flaunt what anime I've watched :v

Or want to watch.

So here, a list :v
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #11995 on: July 03, 2012, 04:22:07 am »

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11996 on: July 03, 2012, 05:16:31 am »

Sorry I may have got my names a bit confused.

You know when everyone goes to the soul society and that? That was part of the planned ending.

basically imagine Aizen didn't get away and Ichigo managed to kill him.
I don't think that it was (although it would be great if you could find a source to prove your argument).
There was still lots of things to explain (eg. origins of ichgo's powers, the hogyoku, how chad+inoue got their powers (since the way they said they got them up to that point didn't make much sense)) and even if they had captured Aizen, enough plot points in the bleach world for another few good arcs (although it just got steadily worse and worse instead).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11997 on: July 03, 2012, 07:06:51 am »

Don't forget how most of Bleach takes place in a featureless white void.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11998 on: July 03, 2012, 12:19:07 pm »

I like Bleach...

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile