Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 796 797 [798] 799 800 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3078611 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #11955 on: June 29, 2012, 06:43:44 pm »

So is Anime a geographical condition or a stylistic tradition, doods?

Anime is geographical

Anime Style is a stylistic tradition.

I hold this especially since an anime that doesn't do it in their own style is still considered an anime.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11956 on: June 29, 2012, 07:04:48 pm »

People tend to use "anime" as shorthand for "japanese animation" so yeah, it's geographical.

There's also the art style, but if people were referring to that then half the stuff that's come out in western animation in the past decade is "anime" too. Even Looney Tunes (seriously just look at those elves).
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11957 on: June 29, 2012, 07:15:12 pm »

Considering that video is INTENTIONALLY in the anime style, that's not particularly surprising. :P

I find it strange that stuff that looks nothing like "anime" is considered as such simply because of where it was made, though. And what about shows that are designed in Japan but, say, colored in another country? Or vice versa?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11958 on: June 29, 2012, 07:20:54 pm »

The biggest reason for the distinction is the cultural influence on the works in question. Japan has a very different cultural history from western countries, so the stories they tell are often very different. The lines are blurring in recent years due to globalization, but you still won't find something like FLCL come from the west anytime soon (we have our own absurd stuff, like Ren and Stimpy).

But yeah, you'll find exceptions to every rule. If you look for anime that may as well be cartoons, and cartoons that may as well be anime, you'll find a ton of examples. It's not a hard distinction when it comes to content.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11959 on: June 29, 2012, 07:43:40 pm »

I'd still say geographical.  If we're going to use another country's generic term for cartoons we should at least apply it to their cartoons rather than inventing an odd new distinction.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #11960 on: June 29, 2012, 10:47:28 pm »

Geographical, of course. There's plenty of western anime-esque stuff out there and vice versa (especially if you count outsourced animation).

Anyway, counting it by the style can result in some very blurred lines. The very first "anime" (if you could call it that) was basically a variation on certain western animation techniques used in the 1920s-30s that was reworked slightly. It wasn't especially distinct until it started branching out in the late 80s or so. Compare the artwork of, say, the original or Zeta Gundam series with that of "modern" anime and then with American shows of its time and you'd find that the latter has more in common with it than the former.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Russisch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11961 on: June 30, 2012, 01:15:19 am »

For the past week or so, I have been trying to get through "Trigun."

God, I have so much anime to get though, I am not sure what to move on to next.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11962 on: June 30, 2012, 01:16:32 am »

What you need is a pallet clenser anime you can take slowly that you can go back to inbetween animes.

Russisch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11963 on: June 30, 2012, 01:23:46 am »

What you need is a pallet clenser anime you can take slowly that you can go back to inbetween animes.

I've been doing that for a while, I'll take up a long anime then jump back to a shorter one I have already seen or just a new short one..The problem with longer animes is you just can't grind right through them and Netflix only offers so much.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11964 on: June 30, 2012, 01:39:26 am »

I've grinded through Prince of Tennis.

The largest problems with Long runners is that they are like quality wrapped in terrible episodes.

Russisch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11965 on: June 30, 2012, 01:46:07 am »

I've grinded through Prince of Tennis.

The largest problems with Long runners is that they are like quality wrapped in terrible episodes.

The ever so loved filler episodes.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #11966 on: June 30, 2012, 05:16:35 am »

Why the hate on Filler episodes? They're necessary. 
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #11967 on: June 30, 2012, 07:39:34 am »

I used Mobile Suit Gundam as an example too when talking about the same thing.

Spoiler: img (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: img (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: gif (click to show/hide)

Pretty "cartoon"y to me.

Then on the other hand, we have the more modern

Spoiler: ANIME (click to show/hide)

But still it'd be silly to not think of the former is "anime".

For some reason, a lot of early 2000s/late 1990s anime had an animation style that looked really weird to me.

Gundam SEED too, but there are a lot of shows at the time that were sort of like prototype versions of "modern" anime, but the animation, the eyes, the art in general, etc always struck me as being a bit off. I recall one Gundam-esque show that I can't quite recall the name of that was a major violator of this, though I overcame my dislike of the odd art to finish watching it (as it was decent in its own respect).
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11968 on: June 30, 2012, 08:17:41 am »

Back then, difference was based on country of origin, not graphics - mostly because graphics could be of the same kind.

And most often, you could recognize the 'anime' by large eyes. Western cartoons rarely had large eyed characters.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11969 on: June 30, 2012, 08:31:33 am »

The large eyes are directly based on Disney.  It's more the shape and style.

Why the hate on Filler episodes? They're necessary. 
I don't think so.  They're really annoyingly common, but some series go without.
Pages: 1 ... 796 797 [798] 799 800 ... 2193