Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 750 751 [752] 753 754 ... 2192

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2886155 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #11265 on: April 25, 2012, 06:38:48 pm »

Well no.  You'd get a martial arts movie with bad actors.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11266 on: April 25, 2012, 06:41:31 pm »

As for Animes that are original... I have no idea. Heck I don't even know many (or just about any) animes that are original works unless they are also a movie.
I think Code Geass is the only one I've watched that isn't a spinoff of something.

Well no.  You'd get a martial arts movie with bad actors.
The difference is if you want to make a martial arts movie on a low budget you have to get SOMEBODY to act it even if they're terrible.  If you're making a VN on a low budget you can just not voice it.

Nilum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11267 on: April 25, 2012, 07:42:51 pm »

As for Animes that are original... I have no idea. Heck I don't even know many (or just about any) animes that are original works unless they are also a movie.
I read this and thought, "Hey, that can't be true! I bet I could name at least 20 anime that I've watched that are original works." I got to 7 or so before I started struggling, and realized that holy crap most anime are adaptations, and apparently my anime long-term memory doesn't extend past the last couple of seasons...
Spoiler: LIST (click to show/hide)
Out of the 16 series I managed to name, 10 of them involve mecha of some sort. This doesn't prove anything, but I wonder if anime originals being mostly about mecha is a noted observation? It certainly seems accurate. I'm sure it's because light novels/manga tend to be pretty ill-suited for giant robot battles, or because the genre has its roots in anime.
I'm guessing since anime cost absurd amounts of money to make, basing them off an existent series is the most sound business decision. It's kind of surprising that original anime are made at all, really.

On a tangentially related note: I've been playing a lot of osu! recently and it's rather depressing -- I can't tell if I'm actually getting any better at the game, or if I'm just memorizing the songs/beatmaps. When I play a song I haven't heard before, my score plummets, which lends credence to the latter.
Ridiculous.  All that it is to be human can be summarised by friendship, love or mecha.

empfan

• Bay Watcher
  • Dungeon Keeper and part-time Firekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11268 on: April 25, 2012, 07:45:34 pm »

hehehe, you count Madoka Magicka friendship?  More like depressing as all hell.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11269 on: April 25, 2012, 07:56:18 pm »

You can add Darker than Black to that list.  It's not friendship, love, or mecha!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11270 on: April 25, 2012, 07:57:23 pm »

Ridiculous.  All that it is to be human can be summarised by friendship, love or mecha.

empfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11271 on: April 25, 2012, 07:58:24 pm »

I don't see magic in that list -_-

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11272 on: April 25, 2012, 08:11:28 pm »

You can add Darker than Black to that list.  It's not friendship, love, or mecha!

Also FLCL. Although I guess it has love, friendship, and mecha. Sort of?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11273 on: April 25, 2012, 08:17:42 pm »

Could always make him watch Macross the english version

Which is three space animes turned into one. The issue is that it may have too classical voice acting for anyone who isn't old.

That's Robotech if you mean 3-in-1. If you say Macross in English, you're talking about the 2006 ADV Dub, or Macross Plus, which was also Dubbed. I have some nostalgic memories of Robotech from my youth, but rewatching it in it's entirety, the fusion of 3 un-related series introduces too many plot-holes and ludicrous dialogue. Most of the voice acting isn't too bad though.
Macross was before Robotech i believe and Robotech was a spinoff of Macross

This is my all-time favorite series (mostly from nostalgia), so i can fill you in on a lot of the history.

Macross came out in 1982, Robotech is not really a "spin off", it's a re-dub / edit of three unlrelated series to be in a single continuity, made in 1985. The only link is that all three series were published by Tatsunoko, whom Harmony Gold had a business arrangement with. The three series dubbed were Super Dimensional Fortress Macross, Super Dimensional Cavalry Southern Cross and Genesis Climber Mospeada. I find the original Macross and Mospaeda more enjoyable than the mash-up versions, but I have no great interest to see the original Southern Cross, though I might check it out someday.

A LOT of plot holes are introduced by doing this. The ADV dub in 2006 is the first fully-dubbed English version of the 1982 "SDF Macross", which stays true to the original source. I hope that clarifies the situation.

Spoiler: some plot holes (click to show/hide)

Also, Minmay's singing being popular in Robotech makes you think everyone's eardrums were damaged by being blasted into space. My friend -  who'd only seen Robotech - said "I loved everything except the songs, which I blame on it being from Japan". I played him some of the Japanese minmay songs and he had a sudden epiphany / realization - none of the Japanese songs made it into Robotech, probably so they didn't have to pay royalties. Another reason to avoid Robotech is the damn songs. In Robotech she even promises to sing a song "my boyfriend is a pilot", but you never hear it (she sings her "main" song again instead, yet again) You actually hear her sing the other song in Macross.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 08:47:11 pm by Reelya »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11274 on: April 25, 2012, 08:22:47 pm »

The main thing I'm wondering is what the hell would possess you to mash three series together like that.  You can't even give the normal "budget" answer because messing around like that would cost even more.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11275 on: April 25, 2012, 08:27:21 pm »

That sounds amazing.  The Digimon Movie dub does the same thing.  Mashes three separate movies together.  It even tries to connect them with edits.

The third movie becomes completely incomprehensible because of it.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 08:29:07 pm by ToonyMan »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11276 on: April 25, 2012, 08:30:01 pm »

The main thing I'm wondering is what the hell would possess you to mash three series together like that.  You can't even give the normal "budget" answer because messing around like that would cost even more.

It's a good thing my friend doesn't frequent these boards, he'd talk your ear off about how much he hates Harmony Gold, the company that holds the distribution rights to Robotech, and has done more harm than good to the anime community through dubious legal practices putting a cramp onto Macross, Mospeada, and Super Dimenional Cavalry Southern Cross from being localized anywhere outside of Japan.

Atleast, that's what he's told me.

empfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11277 on: April 25, 2012, 08:32:01 pm »

Hmm, a good mix of romance and mechs... Redline

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #11278 on: April 25, 2012, 08:33:01 pm »

I think I read somewhere that it was because seperately, the three series didn't have enough episodes to satisfy the networks or something. IIRC
It's FEF, not FEOF

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11279 on: April 25, 2012, 08:37:54 pm »

I think Afro Samurai might have been original. They got Samuel L. Jackson. :D

I read this and thought, "Hey, that can't be true! I bet I could name at least 20 anime that I've watched that are original works." I got to 7 or so before I started struggling, and realized that holy crap most anime are adaptations, and apparently my anime long-term memory doesn't extend past the last couple of seasons...
I imagine it's similar with most things. Movies are based on at least somewhat successful books, stories, other movies, etc more often than being unique for-movie ideas. Less certain with TV shows, though entire genres are certainly pried from existing stuff with frankly lazy abandon. Video games seem to get something of a pass, possibly just because they work so much differently, but sequels and cheap tie-ins are still pretty common, to say nothing of clones and borrowed features or mechanics.

This is my all-time favorite series (mostly from nostalgia), so i can fill you in on a lot of the history.

Macross came out in 1982, Robotech is not really a "spin off", it's a re-dub / edit of three unlrelated series to be in a single continuity, made in 1985. The only link is that all three series were published by Tatsunoko, whom Harmony Gold had a business arrangement with. The three series dubbed were Super Dimensional Fortress Macross, Super Dimensional Cavalry Southern Cross and Genesis Climber Mospeada. I find the original Macross and Mospaeda more enjoyable than the mash-up versions, but I have no great interest to see the original Southern Cross, though I might check it out someday.

A LOT of plot holes are introduced by doing this. The ADV dub in 2006 is the first fully-dubbed English version of the 1982 "SDF Macross", which stays true to the original source. I hope that clarifies the situation.

Spoiler: some plot holes (click to show/hide)

Also, Minmay's singing being popular in Robotech makes you think everyone's eardrums were damaged by being blasted into space. I played my friend -  who'd only seen Robotech - some of the Japanese minmay songs and he had a sudden epiphany / realization. Another reason to avoid Robotech is the damn songs.
This explains a lot.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 750 751 [752] 753 754 ... 2192