Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 741 742 [743] 744 745 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3084458 times)

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #11130 on: April 15, 2012, 10:20:06 am »

I read a manga called "God's child".
just two hours ago.
I'm still going "wtf" in my brain.
shivers.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11131 on: April 15, 2012, 12:13:54 pm »

If all you're looking for is degenerate madness put to animation, there's more than a few good recommendations. Just off the top of my head:

Cat Soup
Dead Leaves
Puni Puni Poemi

And while I have never seen it myself so I can't guarantee it's quality and can only take the word the reviews I've read about it:

Melody of Oblivion

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11132 on: April 15, 2012, 12:21:03 pm »

Puni Puni Poemi

Ohh gawd I hate this one soo much. This is ignoring the implied rape of a small child (and implied sex between two children).

Though if you want to understand most of the jokes you actually have to watch the entire Pretty Cure series.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 12:23:35 pm by Neonivek »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11133 on: April 15, 2012, 12:30:24 pm »

Puni Puni Poemi

Ohh gawd I hate this one soo much. This is ignoring the implied rape of a small child (and implied sex between two children).

Though if you want to understand most of the jokes you actually have to watch the entire Pretty Cure series.

Not  a small feat since Pretty Cure is made up of about five separate continuities. Though I wouldn't say it's necessary, since the entire thing is basically a parody/troll of every magical girl trope ever.

I actually just learned from the wiki page that Puni is banned from New Zealand and Australia for the reasons you mentioned.

Though I can only imagine director Shinichi Watanabe laughing in the distance as they make that decision.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 12:38:07 pm by JoshuaFH »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11134 on: April 15, 2012, 12:31:15 pm »

Serial Experiments Lain is pretty good at making no sense.  Same for Ergo Proxy.  Kara no Kyoukai and Denpa teki na Kanojo work too.  (I'm hesitant to suggest Higurashi but whatever).
Spoiler: Higurashi (click to show/hide)

Apparently the Bleach anime is going on hold for two or three years. From what I can gather, it sounds like all those fillers they kept spewing out were losing the company a lot of money.
It's sad how much they betrayed the truly brilliant manga.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11135 on: April 15, 2012, 01:49:52 pm »

Puni Puni Poemi

Not  a small feat since Pretty Cure is made up of about five separate continuities. Though I wouldn't say it's necessary, since the entire thing is basically a parody/troll of every magical girl trope ever.

I actually just learned from the wiki page that Puni is banned from New Zealand and Australia for the reasons you mentioned.

Though I can only imagine director Shinichi Watanabe laughing in the distance as they make that decision.

Possibly especially if you know the implied rape scene.

Those arn't actually the reasons I hate it it is just reasons I can say without getting into an arguement. (Afterall if I just said that it is a load of nonsense that tries to be funny but isn't most of the time, I'd be called out. It feels more like what would happen if someone tried to condense a whole comedy series into a single episode badly. Which is odd given that even Excell Saga managed to condense an entire anime series before into a single episode quite well, and was one of my favorite episodes).

Though I wouldn't say it's necessary, since the entire thing is basically a parody/troll of every magical girl trope ever

Not exactly. It is more of a parody of Magical Girls who are essentially the "Chick"/Girl. The ones who get stuck with purely supportive powers or are just outright useless.

Outside of those it doesn't do a lot to parody magic girls (even if the main character is sort of like Cutey Honey the creator of the magical girl genre). TO ADMIT it could just be because there is too little time to actually properly parody it. I will refrain from examples for spoiler sake.

I almost get the impression it was supposed to be a longer series given its start up (which is such a tease compared that the start could easily be translated to a deep story)

I will admit if it was an outright parody of Magical Girls it would be a bit more interesting. I can just imagine the jokes one can make about uhhhh, that animal one that is really bad... Tokyo Mewmew there we go.

Dang it now I want to watch a Magical Girl Parody... There is just so much that could be done. Oooh or a magical girl anime that puts a whole bunch of different types of magical girls together (Nagima 1000 though is close. It is an anime with EVERY SINGLE TYPE OF ANIME GIRL EVER! though most are unimportant)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 01:51:34 pm by Neonivek »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11136 on: April 15, 2012, 01:59:17 pm »

Dang it now I want to watch a Magical Girl Parody... There is just so much that could be done. Oooh or a magical girl anime that puts a whole bunch of different types of magical girls together (Nagima 1000 though is close. It is an anime with EVERY SINGLE TYPE OF ANIME GIRL EVER! though most are unimportant)

Now we're on the same page. One I really liked is Magical Girl Pretty Sammy, which is both a spinoff of Tenchi Muyo and playful jab at Magical Girls everywhere. It also features the best character to never feature in any other Tenchi series, Sasami's Dad. DANDY POWER!

I like Magica Madoka, Toony didn't. Though it isn't as much as a parody, as it is a deconstruction.

If you're willing to go into fan originals, there's Sailor Nothing, which is extremely dark and depressing.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11137 on: April 15, 2012, 02:07:10 pm »

I found out Sengoku Youko had a new chapter released.  Awesome!  Only took 14 months...

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11138 on: April 15, 2012, 02:53:04 pm »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11139 on: April 15, 2012, 02:55:40 pm »

Serial Experiments Lain is pretty good at making no sense.  Same for Ergo Proxy.  Kara no Kyoukai and Denpa teki na Kanojo work too.  (I'm hesitant to suggest Higurashi but whatever).

As I recall, Higurashi did end up making sense at the end of the anime, once you got past all the fake truths.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'd watch it.
This is relevant to my interests.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11140 on: April 15, 2012, 03:24:26 pm »

Same for Ergo Proxy.  Kara no Kyoukai and Denpa teki na Kanojo work too.  (I'm hesitant to suggest Higurashi but whatever).

I don't know, I wouldn't say that Ergo Proxy and Denpa teki na Kanojo made no sense.

Ergo Proxy doesn't fall into place until the end and even then you need to piece together from the conversations what is going on, but you can still figure out what is happening.
And Denpa teki na Kanojo is about insane people, and insane people act (to us) irrationally. The whole point was

As I recall, Higurashi did end up making sense at the end of the anime, once you got past all the fake truths.

It does by the end, but it throws out a lot of red herrings to keep you guessing. Which is something I liked about it.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11141 on: April 15, 2012, 03:33:29 pm »

Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11142 on: April 15, 2012, 04:09:43 pm »

This is why I read this thread.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

empfan

• Bay Watcher
  • Dungeon Keeper and part-time Firekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11143 on: April 15, 2012, 05:16:52 pm »

I found out Sengoku Youko had a new chapter released.  Awesome!  Only took 14 months...

... *twitch*  I think I prefer the Shoujo Snake to that...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11144 on: April 15, 2012, 05:24:36 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 741 742 [743] 744 745 ... 2193