Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 721 722 [723] 724 725 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3061628 times)

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #10830 on: March 25, 2012, 01:14:47 pm »

Just Saiyan.
No. Bad. Wrong. Do not do that thing.

But it's all I ever think about when I say "Saying"...
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10831 on: March 25, 2012, 09:49:42 pm »

Watched Riding Bean, an awesomely old school anime OVA.

Just how deliciously cheesy and nostalgic the opening and ending themes are, bright up my whole day.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10832 on: March 26, 2012, 02:14:03 am »

Finished volume 19 of Berserk, going at a pace of a little over 2 volumes per day on average.
Spoiler: current arc thoughts (click to show/hide)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10833 on: March 26, 2012, 02:57:10 am »

Toony you're nearly caught up to me. WHY AM I SO BEHIND?

Spoiler: Arc Comments (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10834 on: March 26, 2012, 03:03:54 am »

Well...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also if it's any relief I haven't really been doing anything with my free time but read Berserk.  I almost didn't finish an English essay I had to do because of it.

EDIT:
Oh and awesome song in the SZS OST.  I love that opening.

And if I'm sharing links I might as well share this Fukumoto Baccano OP.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 03:06:30 am by ToonyMan »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10835 on: March 26, 2012, 08:56:33 am »

I'm telling you Toon, the Fukumoto Baccano is too awesome. It's like if all the members of the Justice League made a baseball team, and entered the Big Leagues. It just wouldn't be any fair to the puny mortal baseball teams.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10836 on: March 26, 2012, 09:02:46 am »

I'm telling you Toon, the Fukumoto Baccano is too awesome. It's like if all the members of the Justice League made a baseball team, and entered the Big Leagues. It just wouldn't be any fair to the puny mortal baseball teams.

I oddly enough have only seen one "Super powered Sports" and it was interesting in that... Everyone had super powers yet Soccor was EXACTLY the same.

So the players actually had to learn how to kick the ball without destroying it. The main character could play hackie sac with a egg without breaking it.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10837 on: March 26, 2012, 09:05:40 am »

I oddly enough have only seen one "Super powered Sports" and it was interesting in that... Everyone had super powers yet Soccor was EXACTLY the same.

So the players actually had to learn how to kick the ball without destroying it. The main character could play hackie sac with a egg without breaking it.

Think you're talking about Shaolin Soccer. Stephen Chow movies are super awesome.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10838 on: March 26, 2012, 12:19:18 pm »

Think you're talking about Shaolin Soccer. Stephen Chow movies are super awesome.
Yes, yes they are. Doubly so when they start invoking anime tropes in the use of said powers. The final match against Evil Team was like something straight out of DBZ (only with less "yelling while charging up power for five minutes")

I'm almost never in this thread, but while I was searching for a translated manual for my rice cooker (I ♥ U Zojirushi!), I came across this:

A manga/anime about making bread.  ???

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10839 on: March 26, 2012, 12:38:41 pm »

Neonivek has the power to make anything sound bad.  I really enjoyed Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10840 on: March 26, 2012, 12:41:41 pm »

A manga/anime about making bread.  ???

Baking bread in the most impossible manners!
And not to mention the reactions ensuing after tasting such breads!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10841 on: March 26, 2012, 02:01:59 pm »

Neonivek has the power to make anything sound bad.  I really enjoyed Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle.

Which is hillarious because I actually liked Shaolin Soccer (And Kung Fu Hustle but I never mentioned that). Basically whether I like or hate something it will come out as wretched.

Yakkate Japan however... I still don't know if I liked or hated it... because the series did devolve at one point and a lot of the jokes were puns that you had to be Japanese to understand. While at the same time I did honestly love it. It really got a love/HATE reaction from me (though I watched the anime)

As for making bread in impossible manners. I will actually outright say for the most part... No. All the bread in that anime is real and can be made by ordinary people with a few exceptions (Such as the bread the Mime makes)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 02:03:54 pm by Neonivek »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10842 on: March 26, 2012, 02:19:10 pm »

Yeah, linguistic puns tend to be epic fail in translation. I remember an old episode of Ranma 1/2 where for some reason, Genma (in panda form) winds holding a plate of steamed bread (pan). One of the other characters walks up, looks this over, then says,

Pan da. (lit. "bread is there")
Panda! (i.e. "You're a panda!")

The English subtitle translation was "There's bread! And you're the breadwinner!".  :'(

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10843 on: March 26, 2012, 02:24:15 pm »

Gotta give some localizers credit.  The professional ones can really try to figure a way out.  I mean even the amateur ones too.  In the Dangan Ronpa LP Oren has been doing pretty well making things sound good.

CABBAGES ARE GREEN

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10844 on: March 26, 2012, 02:39:05 pm »

Gotta give some localizers credit.  The professional ones can really try to figure a way out.  I mean even the amateur ones too.  In the Dangan Ronpa LP Oren has been doing pretty well making things sound good.

CABBAGES ARE GREEN

The major way I see professionals get around, for example, Japanese phrases that are short but long in English is often Off screen talking.

This is especially noticable in the official Digimon Dubs. At least I think that is what they did. I should check the original japanese.
Pages: 1 ... 721 722 [723] 724 725 ... 2193