Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 693 694 [695] 696 697 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3060808 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #10410 on: January 28, 2012, 06:14:34 pm »

Bleh.  I wanted so badly to really like Naruto, but I can't help feeling like it never really got anywhere.
Never really got anywhere? But it's not over yet!

I can't help thinking about the sheer length of the thing.  He's done 58 volumes and isn't done.  Dragonball was totally over in 42; Samurai Deeper Kyo, in 38; Kenshin, in 28; Saikano, in 7.  I can't help feeling kind of miffed... so much time is taken up by long and exhorbitant fights, and explanations of the fighting moves, and stuff about the Dark Past, that, well.  The art shows and never tells.

I like a good story where you can go back and look at details.  There's always more to see.  Awesome theories to play with.  Fan ideas for how things work, because the author knows but isn't explicitly telling.

The series may not be done, but I really expect more by this stage of the production process.  It's really bloated.  Long is fine, bloated is not.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10411 on: January 28, 2012, 06:18:29 pm »

I can't help thinking about the sheer length of the thing.  He's done 58 volumes and isn't done.
If you think that's long, then you should read Conan. (On the other hand, the plot only advances every 3 or so volumes while the subplots which are kinda the main feature of the series never last longer than 2)

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10412 on: January 28, 2012, 06:25:38 pm »

I don't really watch the animays and the magnas and I don't even really look at this topic but

This is the only anime I've ever watched, not including stuff like yugioh and pokemans cause that's like cartoons to me.

(seriously watch this even if you've never played the game, its right good)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10413 on: January 28, 2012, 06:28:25 pm »

I don't really watch the animays and the magnas and I don't even really look at this topic but

This is the only anime I've ever watched, not including stuff like yugioh and pokemans cause that's like cartoons to me.

God best RPG series i played in years (sorry but FF died in my heart)

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10414 on: January 28, 2012, 06:30:22 pm »

YES that is so true.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10415 on: January 28, 2012, 06:32:34 pm »

I actually decided to investigate if there was a list of all plot relevant Conan eps only.

http://members.shaw.ca/makimura/DCN/EPS/DCNCRITEP.html

This list seems surprisingly generous, but maybe I'll try it out when Conan actually finishes.

Or when Japan sinks into the ocean, whichever comes first.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10416 on: January 28, 2012, 06:35:10 pm »

Alternatively, I could go through all my volumes (incomplete because a) I haven't bought any in ages, b) the german ones aren't as up to date and c) some went missing :x ) and do the same with the manga.

Probably not 'cause I'm lazy like that.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10417 on: January 28, 2012, 06:41:22 pm »

Well I did have that policy about only watching series with under 50 episodes.  That was... kindof ruined by Conan, but I really watch it for the individual episodes and tricks.  Damnit, I work it out some of the time!

Yes, I'm doing it. I'm almost there. I'm at episode 104 of Hokuto No Ken, just a few episodes away from being done with HnK.

Now I just need to forget that HnK 2 exists, so I can live my life without the torment of feeling obligated to watch it.

I have no idea how you guys marathon shows like you do, I get mentally exhausted after three eps.
There's kindof a two track thing in my mind for this.  There are series where I absolutely HAVE to know what happens next.  I need to see the conclusion, I need to know the twist, I need to see the culprit brought down, and damnit I'll do it even if I have to keep reading until 5am.

And then there are others where I want to be able to think about it and work it all out or at least understand everything that's already happened before continuing.  Unfortunately these clash sometimes.  Umineko worked by forcing me to take 6 months breaks between episodes during translations >.>

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10418 on: January 28, 2012, 09:42:31 pm »

Mm, it's nice and all...but I'll always be a Phantasia fan. The originals all the way...
This list seems surprisingly generous, but maybe I'll try it out when Conan actually finishes.

Or when Japan sinks into the ocean, whichever comes first.
Uh, how exactly does time work in their universe? Shouldn't the characters graduated or at least skipped a few grades already by now through the sheer number of episodes...or do they keep missing schooldays and birthdays that a parahgfHAFDJFGA!#! Graaah! nitpicky common sense bad! plot holes no see!

Actually just finished Hoshi no Samidare some time ago, reading it all in 2 days time. Needs more love...anime where?!? That's injustice I tell ya'.

Also finished reading ARIA...been some time since Yokohama Kaidashi Kikō (Love that series, The world has ended...and we're pretty much alright and OK with everything.) that I felt so satisfied and at peace after a series. Also probably the reason I've been hugging random people lately and why birds keep on following me while on an impromptu song and dance number with unknown people off the street. Now on to the anime! (Wait 3 seasons? Ahw....I'm gonna' get distracted by something before I finish!)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 09:49:43 pm by Kobold Troubadour »
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10419 on: January 28, 2012, 10:02:15 pm »

Actually just finished Hoshi no Samidare some time ago, reading it all in 2 days time. Needs more love...anime where?!? That's injustice I tell ya'.
Try out Sengoku Youko.  It's the newest work by the same mangaka and it's pretty good.  The one flaw is that IT HASN'T BEEN SCANLATED IN ABOUT A YEAR

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10420 on: January 28, 2012, 10:38:04 pm »

I have finally finished Hokuto no Ken! Yeeaaah!

And I really liked the ending as well. For all it's hyperbolic manliness and animation that borders on being intentionally campy, it brought a tear to my eyes to see the entire thing end.

I just wish it wasn't sullied by the ginormous number of plot holes.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It was a great show, but it needed alot of editing, that's for sure.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10421 on: January 29, 2012, 11:49:43 am »

there are some "titanic" mangas which are a lot of chapters.
that's why i usually read all mangas just for the gist of it. if i like them i'll remember them if they pop up again with a new chapter. otherwise i'll forget about them.
was the case with naruto, i started it when it wasn't yet the "enormous" amount of stuff it is now (and i ain't watching anime with 100+ fillers episode, like Bleach). i even was one of the first readers of the bleach first manga chapters.
that's probably why i keep reading them, i don't have to reread everything. i dropped detective conan. Especially after the cases became more and more insane. I mean, really? are they all reading "a hundred and one way to commit a bizzarre murder that a detective can solve but a policeman can not?" i read it for the plot advancement, but i stopped that too...too, many, fillers.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10422 on: January 29, 2012, 02:49:49 pm »

I took some time to watch Neko no Ongaeshi today, another Ghibli film. It was quite the pleasant, adventurous romp if I say so myself.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #10423 on: January 29, 2012, 11:17:46 pm »

I read up to like chapter 42 in Fullmetal Alchemist today. I stopped because my school's internet crawled to a stop for a while, and still seems unable to load large images.

But does anyone have a site besides mangafox? Because they seem to have switched over to a different fan-translation in like chapter 40 and this one makes me want to kill people. Is there a site that has consistently good translations? You know, like someone put a little effort into making sure everything sounded decent instead of just stopping at the literal translation.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10424 on: January 29, 2012, 11:29:07 pm »

Mangafox sucks ass.  Mangareader also sucks ass.  I die a little when people use them.

Use Batoto or Manga-Access for online sites.  Go to the scanlators sites from MangaUpdates or to BakaBT for completed series to download stuff.  Use MangaMeeya or HoneyView to read downloaded manga.

Here's FMA on MangaUpdates.

Happy readings.

EDIT:
Oh man Tower of God season 2 has started.  Yessssss  Also loads of new Kaiji chapters, yesssssssss again
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 11:34:01 pm by ToonyMan »
Pages: 1 ... 693 694 [695] 696 697 ... 2193