Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 691 692 [693] 694 695 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3061357 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #10380 on: January 25, 2012, 01:57:22 pm »

Also, my best friend warns heavily against NGE, on the grounds that I'll become horribly depressed and mentally unstable. True?

Eh.  If you're looking for depression and instability from your anime, can I recommend...

Saikano?

Never heard of it. Anyway, how disturbing is NGE, on a scale of 1 to Higurashi?

It should be noted that the director of NGE was having an emotional breakdown as he was making it, so that atleast explains some of it's content.

I could rattle off examples, but NGE is kind of unique as the show starts innocently enough, but each character is damaged and broken down into a sobbing, psychotic mess by the time it's over. The movies are essential to watch after the series seeing as how the last two episodes are just mindfuck.

I should really get around to watching the Rebuild, which I hear is way different.

EDIT: I just can't figure out what I want to say, I edited this post 6 times in 2 minutes.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 02:00:02 pm by JoshuaFH »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10381 on: January 25, 2012, 02:07:10 pm »

Rebuild 3 is coming out this Fall.  I can't wait for the home release.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10382 on: January 25, 2012, 02:31:11 pm »

Eh, I didn't really like Rebuild.  Dunno why... maybe the pacing?  I didn't ever end up feeling like the movies had a plot arc in each one, so it's more like a single really long film broken into pieces at random places for me, and I actually found the old art really charming.

Josh is on the money for the original NGE, though.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #10383 on: January 25, 2012, 04:42:18 pm »

Also, my best friend warns heavily against NGE, on the grounds that I'll become horribly depressed and mentally unstable. True?

Eh.  If you're looking for depression and instability from your anime, can I recommend...

Saikano?

HISSSSSSSSSSSS...

Rebuild 3 is coming out this Fall.  I can't wait for the home release.

Bought both of the Rebuilds released so far from a local FYE that's going out of business. Going to watch them really soon with a group, I've already seen them ( <.<  >.> ). I also can't wait for the next movie, since the entire series pretty much ended in the first two. Just wondering where it goes after that, you know?
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10384 on: January 25, 2012, 04:43:34 pm »

So, has anyone seen the new Last Exile series?  Part of me wants to give it a shot, part of me is scared it's going to be a moe-moe show (partially due to the mechanical designs looking like they've been shrunk and partially cuteified).  The first series is one of my favorite shows.

I'm in the same boat. Ep 1 is just staring at me from my hard drive.

The first series was very important to me, one of my first anime. Also is part of some really good memories/conversations with friends, now gone.
Hmm... I guess it is the same-ish, but with a bubbly little girl as the lead. Hard-headed and changes peoples opinions with action type of girl?  Quite a few references to the previous showing.  Its actually a sequel... and there are some familiar faces. The intro music ain't as great...

Mind you, I havn't watched the original Last Exile in quite a long time... so my memory is really fuzzy.
I'm not sure exactly what moe-moe is, but going by the wiki definition of moe... cute little girls running around and doing stuff... yea... I suppose it is a moe-moe show?

The '2011' Hunter X Hunter... pretty much the same as the first one...  but, I'm watching it anyways cause its Hunter X Hunter.

And seeing that the floodgates for watching anime has been reopened with those two... any recommendations to quench my thirst?  Maybe something similar to the above 2 anime... or similar to season 1 Bleach/Naruto?

Either that or give me something that'll quickly kill that thirst for more anime in a most unsatisfying and (for now)final way.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 04:47:24 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10385 on: January 25, 2012, 06:01:00 pm »

I finally finished Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood the other day, but I'm strangely dissatisfied with the ending. I kind of like how Ed
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
, but that doesn't seem really satisfactory. I also would have liked to see
, but I guess it couldn't be helped.

It seems that I always find the journey more interesting than the destination.

I started on the second season of Code Geass after I finished with Brotherhood. I'm on episode 12. Some parts of this show make me feel like crap, but when they do comedy, they do it really well. Case in point: the opener of episode 12. The person Lelouche has impersonating him in school kissed a girl who had a crush on him in order to prevent her from finding out about a secret room. Just as they're dealing with this, Lelouche gets a copy of his schedule.
"What's with this schedule?!"
"Allowing for three hours of sleep, you have dates scheduled with 108 girls. 14 of them are waiting for cancellations, and they've been on the waitlist for six months."
Looks like someone's been busy.

Edit: after watching that episode and the next one, I want to say that this is a show that apparently builds things up so that it's worse when it all falls down.

There are so many crises of motivation, conflicts of loyalty, betrayals, and twists in this show.

I finished the show. I'm not at all ashamed to admit that I cried at the end. I came close at a couple points during the show, but WOW that last episode got to me. I think it has a very satisfying ending, too.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 12:07:55 am by MantisMan »
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10386 on: January 26, 2012, 01:29:35 am »

Alright so I finally got the OP for 11eyes...jegus what the christ.  The main menu even changed, it was all a ruse to trick you!!

I also got my first choice finally.
I know which one is most certainly wrong so let's see if 11eyes has cool Dead Ends.

EDIT:
Spoiler: yep (click to show/hide)

EDITX2:
Okay finished September 17th, time to go to bed...

EDITX3:
Aw shit Kaiji got new scanlators who just released 3 new chapters yes yes yes yes
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 10:22:02 am by ToonyMan »

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #10387 on: January 26, 2012, 01:30:38 pm »

I finished the show. I'm not at all ashamed to admit that I cried at the end. I came close at a couple points during the show, but WOW that last episode got to me. I think it has a very satisfying ending, too.

Best ending of any anime series I've seen, IMHO.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #10388 on: January 27, 2012, 08:02:03 am »

And then Handel's Messiah was ruined forever.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10389 on: January 27, 2012, 09:44:27 am »

Best ending of any anime series I've seen, IMHO.

As I've said before. "The Ending" seems to be an entirely seperate skill from just writing a series.

There have been some great animes with terrible endings... and some bland boring animes with endings so good you almost wonder if you missed the point of the series.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10392 on: January 27, 2012, 11:40:49 pm »

"Heaven piercing drill" is a reference to Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.
But other than that, not too related.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10393 on: January 27, 2012, 11:50:35 pm »

"Heaven piercing drill" is a reference to Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.
But other than that, not too related.
MAXIMUM PERCENTAGE

Anyway, on volume 11 of Battle Royale.  Holy poo poo this is sad.  ;_;

EDIT:
Finished volume 12.  Maaaaaaaaaaaaaan.
Amazing yes yes yes I need to sleep now though.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 03:26:42 am by ToonyMan »

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10394 on: January 28, 2012, 04:54:44 am »

Watched paranoia agent again, the suicide episode is the best,
In it these 3 people make a pact online to meet up irl and help kill each other.
after meeting up they find out one of the 3 is a little girl, like 12 or something, so the other two try to kill themselves while trying to save her and end up failing, they all live in the end.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.
Pages: 1 ... 691 692 [693] 694 695 ... 2193