Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 689 690 [691] 692 693 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3061679 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #10350 on: January 22, 2012, 05:40:00 pm »

I didn't like Saya no Uta, Ever17, or Sharin no Kuni that much.  A few others I played for just a few minutes and I couldn't get by that for being too Dating Sim-ish (Yume whatever the hell).  If you're looking for something mainly Dating Sim-like (since Kawata Shoujo is basically one) there are a ton of those but I'm a bad person to come for that...

On the other hand, if you like more actual story arc type plots try out pretty much everything by 07th Expansion and Type-Moon.

I would mention Chunsoft, Nitro+, and 5pb. as well but I haven't done as much for them, heh.  I guess there's Chaos;Head and Steins;Gate but everybody just watches the anime.  Also a lot is untranslated argh

OH AND TAEMGRISGRIS

TeamGrisGris is gooood.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 05:47:16 pm by ToonyMan »

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10351 on: January 22, 2012, 06:02:05 pm »

True Remembrance
Planetarian
Narcissu

Are all very accessible, but they don't give you choices/routes to go down. Of these, Narcissu is most like Katawa Shoujo.

As far as visual novels with choices, out of ones I've tried, you might like:
Yume Miru Kusuri: A Drug That Makes You Dream
Kana: Little Sister (I didn't finish, got distracted)
Clannad (I didn't finish, got distracted)

Clannad is REALLY long though.

I always felt a bit iffy about calling them dating sims, because my experiences in them don't carry well into real life.

Of those listed, Yume Miru Kusuri is most like Katawa Shoujo. If you ended up with Hanako's bad end, congratulations, you have someone in Yume Miru Kusuri that was made for you.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 11:23:42 pm by Patchouli »

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10352 on: January 22, 2012, 09:26:07 pm »

Lucky Star, I love you, but your dub makes me want to rip out my ears....and I am the kind of person who doesn't mind dubs!
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10353 on: January 22, 2012, 11:54:39 pm »

Spoiler: Battle Royale volume 9 (click to show/hide)
;_;

EDIT:
Ah man, the end of volume 9 was nuts.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 12:35:22 am by ToonyMan »

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10354 on: January 23, 2012, 03:33:54 am »

Lucky Star, I love you, but your dub makes me want to rip out my ears....and I am the kind of person who doesn't mind dubs!
Oh man.
This is why I always watch subs.
English dubs are always terrible. Always.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10355 on: January 23, 2012, 03:36:50 am »

There are SOME good dubs. Some even superior to the original.

I can count them on one hand, though.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #10356 on: January 23, 2012, 07:51:09 am »

Yeah, I actually enjoyed the English dub of Mobile Suit Gundam more than the original Japanese. But Japan does have more skilled VAs than America, or other countries for that matter. And of course, it's harder to notice something odd in a dub when you don't understand the language.

In other news, I've been watching some more Gundam AGE. The first third of the story is over. I won't say it's on the level of Madoka or Evangelion or anything like that , but it can be rather cynical.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10357 on: January 23, 2012, 08:12:46 am »

The only anime I ever enjoyed with English dub was Pokemon, sheerly because I had grown up with it and my mind simply couldn't process it sounding any other way.

Anyway, just finished watching Infinite Stratos and HOLY SHIT WHY WON'T THEY STOP FIGHTING OVER EVERY LITTLE THING FFFFFFF--

I have never watched a more 'harem' anime. It was built like an action/mecha sort of thing, but they spent too long and did too poor a job on the 'relationships'. I'm utterly convinced that all Japanese men are entirely retarded when it comes to large amounts of women wanting them simultaneously. I have dubbed this effect the Harem Field, where the sheer ignorance of one character manifests into a phenomena similar to gravitational pull, but it only affects those sexually oriented for their gender.

It doesn't work with robots at the centre, but it does work with robots getting drawn in (somehow). On that note, now I want to see a harem anime where the centre is a robot. And the robot doesn't even know what.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10358 on: January 23, 2012, 08:16:38 am »

There are SOME good dubs. Some even superior to the original.

I can count them on one hand, though.

I second this. I tried watching Cowboy Bebop in Japanese, and quickly switched it back to English. Same goes for Hellsing Ultimate, but that's about it for what I've seen, and I've seen plenty of anime.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10359 on: January 23, 2012, 09:38:47 am »

Yeah, I actually enjoyed the English dub of Mobile Suit Gundam more than the original Japanese. But Japan does have more skilled VAs than America, or other countries for that matter. And of course, it's harder to notice something odd in a dub when you don't understand the language.
I don't know about that. Other countries have great VAs for animation as well, they just don't pool them into dubbing anime.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10360 on: January 23, 2012, 02:35:06 pm »

Liam O' Brien is probably my favorite English voice actor besides David Hayter.
And whoever the hell does Ladd Russo, just daaaamn
Oh and whoever does Dan whats-his-face in the Trapped games.  I love that guy.  Or Doug Stone, or Mike Dawson, or Silver the Hedgehog arrrrrrgh

EDIT:
Oh, since I'm really lacking VN intake now (it's why I'm looking around everywhere) I think I finally found a suitable one.

I downloaded the 11eyes trial yesterday and finished the first day (September 16th) which was alright.  The prologue was interesting and I am really happy the game uses overlay text most of the time.  I just love my overlay text.  Although interestingly it DOES switch between overlay text or bottom box depending on whether you're talking to somebody or not.  Which is pretty interesting.  I think my only problem right now is the art is pretty funky but you can't ask for too much.  The music is pretty good.
The CrossVision mechanic also looks interesting as hell.  I wonder how that will play out.  Although to be honest I still have no idea what this is all about really.

Oh whatever...I wish I had more time for stuff.

Current Activities
Anime - Serial Experiments Lain
Manga - Battle Royale
Visual Novel - 11eyes
Light Novel - The Dissociation of Suzumiya Haruhi
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 03:29:50 pm by ToonyMan »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #10361 on: January 23, 2012, 10:23:55 pm »

One of my friends really wants me to watch High School of the Dead, while another of my friends had warned me against it. It looks pretty terrible. Any redeeming qualities?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10362 on: January 23, 2012, 10:25:13 pm »

One of my friends really wants me to watch High School of the Dead, while another of my friends had warned me against it. It looks pretty terrible. Any redeeming qualities?
NOPE
No seriously don't do it.

EDIT:
UTW released Carnival Phantasm 12 and Fate/prototype!  Yay.  :]
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 10:48:57 pm by ToonyMan »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10363 on: January 23, 2012, 11:31:18 pm »

Biggest fanservice i ever laid eyes on, also i had the sudden to backhand every woman in that show for the pure stupidity they output.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10364 on: January 24, 2012, 12:10:35 am »

Okay I finished both.  The end of Carnival Phantasm was fine, although a 4th season would be cooooooool.  Taiga Taiga Taigaaaa

Anyway, what totally took me by surprise though was Fate/prototype.

Two words

IT WAS AMAZING

Seriously holy crap a shit shit shit.  I would watch/read/play the hell out of whatever Fate/prototype would become.  I know people criticize Type-Moon for repeatedly pumping out Fate/stuff but I would not mind Fate/prototype AT ALL  I can't believe Nasu wrote something that could easily be better than Fate/stay night first argh.

Also, guess who's in Fate/prototype?
Oh my gog

GRAIL TRACER GRAIL TRACER GRAIL TRACER

EDIT:
Okay apparently he's really Perseus.  That's still cooooool.  His voice actor does Light, Ling, and Okabe.  Yessss
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 02:17:27 am by ToonyMan »
Pages: 1 ... 689 690 [691] 692 693 ... 2193