Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 688 689 [690] 691 692 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3061683 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #10335 on: January 20, 2012, 02:18:48 pm »

Heck yeah, hard mode with no continues.  Rosa + Battler are the best (Rosa shoots everything and Battler activates his ultimate move for healing and mad damage as often as possible).  After a depressing ending I got some pretty great Engrish too:

Then what followed was possibly the worst boss battle I've ever had.  In addition to this guy having all the developer's favourite combos programmed into him and a great moveset he gets everyone elses ability constantly active on him.  In other words, that means he stuns on most strong attacks, constantly heals (and I think that's on top of his natural healing ability), gets a free SP move, can attack tag at pretty much any time, constantly regenerates SP, reduces the SP you gain, auto-blocks, has 20% damage boost, breaks your block faster, hits more damage on counters, stops you from tagging out when he hits you, hits more damage through your blocks and ARGH IT KEEPS GOING
Of course none of these really mattered since he beat me down in about 30 seconds.  The saving grace being you unlock him regardless of whether you beat him or not, phew.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10336 on: January 20, 2012, 04:14:07 pm »

Yeah I read the entire 7th volume of Battle Royale in one sitting.  That was really cool.
Spoiler: spoilers! (click to show/hide)

It gives you mad hipster points against anyone reading Hunger Games though.
I've already been reaping this in spades (I read the novel about 7 years ago).
The original BR novel I'm guessing.  Have you checked the manga out?  Although yeah it's kind of really gorey...I don't really have enough interest to read the novel, not right now anyway.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 04:19:20 pm by ToonyMan »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10337 on: January 20, 2012, 08:35:59 pm »

Working through Zeta GUndam (The last episode I've seen was the attack on Earth), and I'm extremely confused about something.

Kamille and Emma stole all three Gundam Mk. II. After Kamille became a regular pilot, he's the only pilot to fly one. Not only that, but the enemies he fights act much the same way. (It's always "It's the Mk. II" never "a Mk. II." and there's never any concern about where the other two might be.) None were destroyed that I saw, and even if one were cannabalized for parts, Earth forces wouldn't know that. AM I missing something?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10338 on: January 21, 2012, 03:07:53 am »

What's the best ghibli film?
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10339 on: January 21, 2012, 03:21:55 am »

Spirited Away or Princess Mononoke for me.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10340 on: January 21, 2012, 03:34:40 am »

Mononoke is low on my list, spirited away is good though
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #10341 on: January 21, 2012, 03:36:48 am »

I found Grave of the Fireflies to be the most powerful myself, though I would advise being in a rather contemplative mood before watching it. It's very dark. For something more along the lines of lighthearted entertainment, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind is a good one. Though Ghibli films are like potato chips; once you have one, you pretty much have to eat the whole bag.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10342 on: January 21, 2012, 11:09:26 am »

Princess Mononoke is amazing, and my personal favorite would be Howl's Moving Castle.
Spirited Away is great as well, you really can't go wrong with Ghibli.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10343 on: January 21, 2012, 02:00:25 pm »

Gonna have to jump in here and say Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, or Porco Rosso. EDIT: And how could I forget Lupin the III: The Castle of Cagliostro? SO AMAZING!

They have done more than movies though. If you want to see an amazing series, check out Future Boy Conan. It easily occupies the 1# spot on my favorite anime list.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 02:03:14 pm by JoshuaFH »

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10344 on: January 21, 2012, 04:51:07 pm »

I've seen most of their movies.

I strongly feel my neighbor totoro is highly overrated, nothing really happens in that movie and I found it boring.

Pom poko made me think of super mario world 3 in a whole new light,  you know the part where mario has the raccoon cap and can fly, then can glide using that sheet?  Raccoons in pom poko glide the same way, but it's a sheet made out of their *cough* raccoon pouches, if you know what I mean hint: only male raccoons have them

I really liked Nausicaa, don't have much else to say about it though.

Loved porco Rosso, epic ending.

Howl's moving castle is.....good.

Secret world of arrietty was better than I thought it would be.

Grave of the Fireflies is most possibly the saddest thing I've ever seen, kept waiting for something good to happen, but it's just one bad turn after another.  and it's based on a true story.  Poor kid.
(edit:  but in real life the kid didn't die at the end, but instead went on to write a book about how guilty he felt for not being able to  save his sister, and that book eventually was adapted into this movie)

The cat returns was kind of stupid imho, but still good.

hmmmm....what else,..

oh yeah, PONYO !  cute movie, first ghibli film to be published in the USA by Disney, from now on most if not all ghibli films will come out in theaters in the U.S. (a year or so after they came out in japan though)

i know I'm forgetting a few,

kiki's delivery service was meh

tales from the earthsea, or whatever it was called was also meh

I'm trying to remember the rest without looking them up, but don't think I can
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 05:29:40 pm by Valid_Dark »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10345 on: January 21, 2012, 04:56:38 pm »

Also check out On Your Mark, a Ghibli music video.

They also did a ton of Japanese commercials for prepackaged TV dinners. You'd think it wouldn't be noteworthy, but those commercials are so good.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10346 on: January 21, 2012, 06:37:14 pm »

And a video game NI no Kuni, suppose to be getting a english version this year.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10347 on: January 22, 2012, 03:37:21 am »

I strongly feel my neighbor totoro is highly overrated, nothing really happens in that movie and I found it boring

It is what I'd call a culture peice.

So yeah your allowed to find it boring. I am allowed to find jokes I don't understand not funny.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10348 on: January 22, 2012, 04:10:41 pm »

sheesh.
i lost myself to the visual novels.
*is reading/doing katawa shoujo*

so...since it seems i lost my battle of wills to never touch a visual novel in life, and since it seems i do like them...anything on the same tone a "newb" of the genre would like?
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10349 on: January 22, 2012, 05:22:37 pm »

Tsukihime Well the DS ones (Ace Attorney, 999, Ghost Trick) are pretty accessible.  Then for the PC you have the When They Cry series (Higurashi can be kindof slow and fillery at times though, I'd be tempted to skip into Umineko especially since it has a massive free demo EDIT: And also it has an infinitely better soundtrack somehow) and a whole bunch of Nasu works (Fate/Stay Night is probably the easiest one to start on.  I haven't worked up the courage to play Tsukihime yet).  And uh... I think that's the extent of my knowledge so far.  Someone who's delved more into dating sims rather than dating sim parodies would be able to help you in that area.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 05:31:18 pm by Leafsnail »
Pages: 1 ... 688 689 [690] 691 692 ... 2193