Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 678 679 [680] 681 682 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3064832 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #10185 on: January 02, 2012, 05:41:35 pm »

You mean it wasn't before?

Well little killer girls is a mysteriously common genre with oddly sexual overtones.

But I don't know if it has its own name yet and thus an official genre of anime/manga.
Hm, fair point. I guess it's more of a subgenre or flavor then.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10186 on: January 02, 2012, 06:10:10 pm »

Well little killer girls is a mysteriously common genre with oddly sexual overtones.
But I don't know if it has its own name yet and thus an official genre of anime/manga.
It would be in a list like this.  It's more of a category than full fledged genre.  Man I could go through this whole list.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10187 on: January 02, 2012, 08:11:06 pm »

Maybe you could make that category yourself, Neonivek.  Certainly I couldn't find an equivalent one on Higurashi or Rozen Maiden.

Incidentally, finished FZ volume 1 and my favourite bit was actually Urobuchi's epilogue.  Something about it was just amazing.
I am full of hatred towards men's so-called happiness, and had to push the characters I poured my heart out to create into the abyss of tragedy.
Nasu totally bases characters off him.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10188 on: January 02, 2012, 08:57:38 pm »

Finished Iroha. I liked it.
Pretty much agree with most of your observations, aside from the annoyance for some characters (I'm mainly indifferent to them...huh, getting some flashbacks of the army guests and their "operations"...weird). It wasn't all that deep or complicated or anything but it was a nice watch overall. Can be a recommendable slice-of-life thing.

Also just started watching Anohana...seems interesting. Hopefully nothing distracts me and leads my attention away......again...
Annoyed might be a strong word. None of them get too far past the point where a "please stop" would be too weak. Except maybe Minko.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 09:31:34 pm by Patchouli »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10189 on: January 03, 2012, 04:37:44 am »

Its really hard to say since there are what I call fine stroke genres and wide stroke genres.

for example "Magical Girl" is considered a genre of anime. Yet it can be a horror (Clocktower 3), comedy, action, or any other genre.

It is what I put under a fine stroke genre. It is just a description of several themes and conventions that an anime is using rather then a description of the overall feel or theme.

the issue with the term "Subgenre" comes more from the idea that subgenres are subsets of bigger genres. (For example Turn-Based being a subgenre of strategy). I am sure there is actually a better name for it.

Maybe you could make that category yourself, Neonivek

Honestly I am not that much of a fan myself. Mostly because I think they lose track of the idea that they are children or teens as well as the fact that people are not as pacified by them (AKA: Children with guns is bad!).

This is of course only refering to the genre at its best. At its worst is used either a depression generator, gorefest, or fetish peice that uses children as a way to jar the audiance (I think the "Fetish" part came from the anime where the girls were cyborgs. The fact that they were infertile was supposed to be a major plot point. Mind you I don't really think that anime makes sense from any standpoint)

That and I am also not an expert. I may know of several examples of animes of this genre (Bullet proof table!?!) but honestly Toonyman could probably actually give more names.

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10190 on: January 03, 2012, 07:28:42 am »

I think I've mentioned this before but a Koizumi villain would be terrifying.
He gets to unwind a bit in the 11th novel....explosions were involved.
We'll just have to see what happens then.
Hmm, there might be a miscommunication on my part. I don't mean it in the "he turns evil" way, but in the "he gets to be true to himself in front of someone else beside Kyon" way...which leads to esper power related explosion to a certain someone's face.

Just finished reading the light novel Our Journey to the End of the Ceasing World (Tabi ni Deyou, Horobiyuku Sekai no Hate Made). It was an interesting and nice read, though somewhat short being only 1 volume.

Then read some of the translated Baccano! novels...which led me to want another anime season yet again. The characters makes immortality seem really fun despite all the bumps along the way.

ToAru Index NT vol3 is almost fully translated, yay~ Gotta' love the guys at Baka-Tsuki...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 07:53:40 am by Kobold Troubadour »
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10191 on: January 03, 2012, 01:15:55 pm »

want to waste an hour of time?
èread kokumin quiz.
all of it.
if you aren't by the end thinking that you just wasted an hour of time then...well...
explain why.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10192 on: January 03, 2012, 01:20:22 pm »

Decided to watch Girls Bravo today as I never seen the series before....
WHAT THE, I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT IS GOING ON

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10193 on: January 03, 2012, 03:13:57 pm »

Incidentally, finished FZ volume 1 and my favourite bit was actually Urobuchi's epilogue.  Something about it was just amazing.
I am full of hatred towards men's so-called happiness, and had to push the characters I poured my heart out to create into the abyss of tragedy.
Nasu totally bases characters off him.
Urobuchi hates his characters.  Everything I've read that he's written is full of tragedy although Madoka's ending was strange.

ToAru Index NT vol3 is almost fully translated, yay~ Gotta' love the guys at Baka-Tsuki...
You're not going to tell me you've actually...read all of Index are you?  I haven't even started that oh gog you're nuts
Is New Testament a direct continuation or does something weird happen?  Although it's not like I would even know for possibly years seriously my Index LN folder is 250MB of just WORDS (and illustrations).

Also I've been playing the hell out of Battle Moon Wars and it's getting pretty loopy thanks to the fact I'm up to Fate/hollow now.  Kotomine was finally mentioned by name, I wonder if I'll even see him.  It's crazy how in-depth they go for some of these plots for absolutely no reason.
I can't wait for the new Fate/hollow patch now.  It's funny how cool Nasu's fan-discs are when usually those are suppose to be just jokes but Nasu is like NO WE HAVE TO SURPRISE EVERYBODY.

Also on chapter 3 of Intrigues which means nothing because there's like 7 chapters + the epilogue I've read almost 100 pages and that's not even half of it damn time travel shit.  Seriously Haruhi's plots always end up being Kyon figuring out how everything happens.
Spoiler: Intrigues spoilers (click to show/hide)

EDIT:
I use to talk crap about my Shirou because his was only good at soaking damage before dying, but now...now...

He's one of my best characters, I mean, after he learned
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
he has become a killer god.  I started pumping stats into him and now he's just as competent if not more than the majority of my characters.  And his spell that instantly regens all of his HP for nothing at all is amazing.  He can't die and he kills everything.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 06:41:44 pm by ToonyMan »

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10194 on: January 03, 2012, 07:05:29 pm »

Started Nichijou.

I think it's the Japanese version of Regular Show.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10195 on: January 03, 2012, 07:08:00 pm »

Started Nichijou.
I think it's the Japanese version of Regular Show.
Taz linked me a scene, it was...strange.

EDIT:
Oh man, I completely forgot about the next batch of Carnival Phantasm OVAs.  Fuuuuuuuuck yeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssss
Tonight will be fun

Aw shit there's only RAWs still, I jumped the gun there.  Where are you UTW?!  Hmm...Illya's Castle Special and EX Season huh.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 07:39:44 pm by ToonyMan »

tehc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10196 on: January 03, 2012, 09:20:25 pm »

Aw shit there's only RAWs still, I jumped the gun there.  Where are you UTW?!

They've still got a while to go. Carnival Phantasm is really heavy with typesetting. __ar only just got the BDMV as well.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10197 on: January 03, 2012, 09:48:44 pm »

Just watched all of Fate/stay night. It was wonderful and yet another anime to make me feel emotional. And more episodes of Mira

One question though...

Now to watch Unlimited Blade Works and Fate/zero. And more Miraii Nikki. So much to watch!

Edit:
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 09:59:08 pm by quinnr »
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10198 on: January 03, 2012, 09:59:09 pm »

Watch UBW and it will tell you.  Although it is probably the most amazingly poorly paced movie I have ever seen so you might end up with more questions.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10199 on: January 04, 2012, 05:06:59 am »

Finished Nichijou.

It was good fun. KyoAni's delicious animation.

My favorite scene was probably the joyless amusement park rides.

Quick thoughts:
  • Great soundtrack. The OPs and EDs are great. Zzz is super catchy, and I love the version of Tsubasa wo Kudasai they had. Also, since I am alone, I participate in that silly little dance in the second half of the show's OP.
  • Godly animation.
  • Humor can be hit or miss, but it's so fast paced, it doesn't matter that much. When it's a hit, it's a HUGE hit. The range of humor is pretty wide.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 05:20:23 am by Patchouli »
Pages: 1 ... 678 679 [680] 681 682 ... 2193