Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 677 678 [679] 680 681 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3064841 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #10170 on: December 31, 2011, 08:23:06 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10171 on: December 31, 2011, 09:23:22 am »

Finished Anohana.

Tomorrow, if I have time, I'll probably watch some Madoka or Bakemonogatari. Maybe rewatch the first few episodes of Tatami Galaxy, since it seems like it could benefit from another viewing. I also got a recommendation for Iroha, so we'll see where that goes.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 10:17:44 am by Patchouli »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10172 on: December 31, 2011, 01:21:43 pm »

Has anyone seen Desert Punk? My friend says it's pretty good.
I thought it was pretty good, but then again I think most things are pretty good.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10173 on: December 31, 2011, 03:06:58 pm »

Aside from those scenes, I remember tsukihime being surprisingly badass and awesome. There's even one story route where he spends about half the time stuck in bed. It was creepy as hell.
Tsukihime was badass and awesome...10% of the time.  That story route you're mentioned was maddening I don't even remember most of it I was too busy going crazy.   Now that' I've read the Tsukihime interview I understand that Nasu was going at 3 hours of sleep a day for a whole year doing nothing but writing.  The manuscript ended up being 5,000 pages of just Tsukihime.

Kagetsu Tohya was a nice break because a lot of it was still cool or funny and less errr ridiculous.  I found out Arcueid's birthday is Christmas because I played it on 12/25.  :P

Her text gimmick is pretty odd too.
Yeah that was pretty awesome.  I don't believe anime fans will get it though.  :<

In other news...I'm on the third short story in Wavering.  Koizumi is saying some interesting things.
I think I've mentioned this before but a Koizumi villain would be terrifying.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10174 on: December 31, 2011, 09:54:04 pm »

Started Hanasaku Iroha. Don't know why Minko is so mean, but I'm guessing she'll get a background episode eventually. She needs to chill out though. I also don't like Ohana much, but there's a lot of potential for her to grow up and change. Everyone seems really extreme in their personalities.

EDIT: Well, things seem to be changing for the better since it's shaping out to be a fun slice of life comedy rather than anything too dramatic. I'm okay with that. It sure did turn heel pretty fast though, compared to how serious the first episode felt.

Also, the animation is nice.

EDIT: On episode 10. It's not a fun slice of life comedy. Aside from the first few episodes which did not seem to be a very good introduction for any of the characters, it's a solid heartwarming show. By the third episode, I think the show really takes a nice turn with most of the characters, and everything starts to fall into a more stable position. Ohana has warmed up a good deal for me, even if she is still annoyingly eager at times. Minchi is Minchi and I still don't know why she can be so mean. That one lady with all the engrish is very annoying though.

Animation is still great, and even though at times it's very obvious there's 3D objects being used in the animation, there have been far worse offenders. No strong feelings about the dialogue either.

EDIT: Finished episode 12. They way the show is going seems a bit strange. The first episode was nice and set up a great foundation, but didn't seem to connect all that well with anything that happened afterwards. Up until episode 10 was nice dilly-dally, then by episode 12, it seems like it's slowed down considerably. Ohana is still being Ohana, likewise with Minchi. The star of the show is by far the grandmother. Touru seems to be one of the more interesting characters as well. It bugs me how Kou is an important character, but still manages to feel completely insignificant in the sight of everything.

I also sort of shift my statement of this being a heartwarming show. There's heartwarming scenes, but there's also an awful lot of drama, mostly because of miscommunication. Maybe that's why it feels like it has slowed down significantly? I'm having a difficult time seeing how this could stretch out to 26 episodes.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 08:30:27 am by Patchouli »

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10175 on: January 01, 2012, 09:59:55 am »

waraenu douji.
another type of creepiness.
would you actually give your misfortune to someone else? some do it...
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10176 on: January 01, 2012, 03:47:33 pm »

On Fate/hollow
"Still waiting on the remaining Hanafuda image edits (tutorial plus a couple of other fixes).
Looks like it'll have to be January, after all. I figure it's better to wait a bit than to have a 95%-ready release now."

Yah!  It's only a 70% patch but I'm gonna play the hell out of it in one weekend.  Just like the 40% patch.  They should finish it by next year anyway.

Oh, and I finished the Mahoutsukai no Yoru (Mahoyo) demo.  It was pretty ordinary until the last scene when shit started getting crazy

The London bridge is breaking down
breaking down, breaking down
said the fair lady

I'm kind of happy the game is in the third person too, it seems to focus on Aoko, Alice, and some boy I don't remember the name of but had the kanji for Grass and then Ten.  Thanks to Chiitranslator I'm always going to call him Tengrass now.  I would have substituted his name like Aoko and Alice but I never saw them show how to spell his name!  Some of his sprites look pretty Shirou which scares me I hope he isn't as naive.

EDIT:
Alright so I finished The Wavering of Suzumiya Haruhi, the last three stories were pretty good.  Kind of funny that it matched up with the New Years so well...anyway I started Intrigues and gog damn it's as long as a Fate/zero volume I'm gonna be here for awhile.

EDITX2:
And instead I end up playing Battle Moon Wars for who knows how long.  How long is this game?!  It just keeps going and going and going I just got another original character too.  Maids maids everywhere

Then again, we all know this game can't end until Kotomine shows up.

Also I have to note that the mood can be extremely jarring.  I used to have Fullmetal Alchemist as my ideal case but Type-Moon stuff knows how to go from deadly serious to light-hearted humor during scenes.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 12:43:40 am by ToonyMan »

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10177 on: January 02, 2012, 09:46:04 am »

Finished Iroha.

I liked it.

Other thoughts:
  • The art is gorgeous.
  • Story moves oddly, some parts seem to drag on forever, some episodes seem to just be filler, and some events are resolved too quickly. It's hard to tell if the series was too long or too short. It feels like it could have been shorter with better choices in what to have episodes of and what to flesh out.
  • The drama isn't too great. It's usually caused by a failure to communicate. Everyone gets roped in.
  • There's a lot of fanservice, but the best way I could describe it is that it's mostly done in very good taste. There's a few scenes talking about how Nako's breasts are dress stuffers, and the first three episodes have most of the ridiculously fanservice-y scenes, but otherwise, it... feels clean. All the girls are frequently naked and in the bath, but they talk about normal things, and it never devolves into the common scene in other anime where girls are groping each other's breasts while everyone is screaming, acting like they've never been nude in front of another woman while the camera zooms and pans to focus on cleavage. It all feels like a part of daily life in the inn, and except for the silly musings of a pervert in the first few episodes, all of the bath scenes feel natural and never obscene.
  • The voice acting is fine. I warmed up to Ohana's voice after a while. She's great, and it's more the dialogue that seems to bring her down at times rather than the voice itself. Yuina and Nako have this airy voice that I'm usually not a fan of. I seem to be in the minority for this, but I really like Minko's voice. It has a rough and cracky (I don't have a better word) quality that I don't hear often, and I mean this in the least creepy way possible, but I like how she cries. It's one of the more realistic crying sounds I've heard. Everyone else is good.
  • Music is run-of-the-mill. Nothing stands out significantly. I'm one of those losers that tend to skip the OP and ED.
  • The humor never feels exaggerated.
  • The attention to detail is wonderful.
Spoiler: Examples of detail (click to show/hide)

I don't know why I wrote so much for Iroha. I guess I was bored. It's late and some of these things may change when I think about it or rewatch it, but it's unlikely that I'll have the drive to watch it again, except for a few choice scenes.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 09:00:03 pm by Patchouli »

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10178 on: January 02, 2012, 11:35:41 am »

He gets to unwind a bit in the 11th novel....explosions were involved.
instead I end up playing Battle Moon Wars for who knows how long.  How long is this game?
Long enough. Haven't finished it myself cuz' I got distracted by something else again sometime ago (something shiny was involved I think). There are also differences between your chosen main character routes and stuff.
Finished Iroha. I liked it.
Pretty much agree with most of your observations, aside from the annoyance for some characters (I'm mainly indifferent to them...huh, getting some flashbacks of the army guests and their "operations"...weird). It wasn't all that deep or complicated or anything but it was a nice watch overall. Can be a recommendable slice-of-life thing.

Also just started watching Anohana...seems interesting. Hopefully nothing distracts me and leads my attention away......again...
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10179 on: January 02, 2012, 11:45:41 am »

Wait what where how do I keep missing these things?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10180 on: January 02, 2012, 04:06:43 pm »

Hey is little girls killing eachother its own genre now?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10181 on: January 02, 2012, 04:20:50 pm »

You mean it wasn't before?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10182 on: January 02, 2012, 04:33:45 pm »

We'll just have to see what happens then.

instead I end up playing Battle Moon Wars for who knows how long.  How long is this game?
Long enough. Haven't finished it myself cuz' I got distracted by something else again sometime ago (something shiny was involved I think). There are also differences between your chosen main character routes and stuff.
Yep.  I chose human route because the supernatural route seems a little too crazy.  I get all the Haruna.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 06:11:44 pm by ToonyMan »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10183 on: January 02, 2012, 05:02:43 pm »

You mean it wasn't before?

Well little killer girls is a mysteriously common genre with oddly sexual overtones.

But I don't know if it has its own name yet and thus an official genre of anime/manga.

Bill the dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10184 on: January 02, 2012, 05:32:27 pm »

To Love-Ru has been interesting to watch so far, should I presume theres a manga version/original as well?
Pages: 1 ... 677 678 [679] 680 681 ... 2193