Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 675 676 [677] 678 679 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3065251 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #10140 on: December 29, 2011, 01:39:08 pm »

You should check around the site some more Toony, there's always more interesting stuff...like:
http://www.tsukikan.com/misc/kanwatsukihime/index.html

Speaking of which, this might be of interest to some:
http://digital-haze.net/projects/vnds.html
Niiiccee.....
Oh, hey...another interesting thing...
http://blog.livedoor.jp/humanity6/archives/51811583.html#more
Yeah I've been reading through other links on that site.  I read the whole Type-Moon history page yesterday and looks like there's more to read everywhere.

I'm giving Bakemonogatari another shot.
I just up and deleted my Bakemonogatari folder.  It's just not interesting to me.  I'm not sure I'll ever watch any SHAFT shows besides SZS and enjoy it.  I mean Arakawa is just pretty random humor so far from what I've read at least SZS throws in funny observations.

What's surprising is that everybody plays DS visual novels like Ace Attorney, 999, and Ghost Trick but PC visual novels like Higurashi, Umineko, Tsukihime, and Fate get the stick!  >:O
I swear if there was a Cobra VN on the DS people would have played it.  Even if every single DS VN I've played was great that's not the point noooooooo
I just contemplated playing those simply because of this, but then I realized that doing things because they're (comparatively) unpopular is stupid.
Well, Higurashi and Fate/stay night are pretty well known thanks to the anime adaptions but Umineko and Tsukihime's anime adaptions kind of suck.  It's not that they're unpopular is just that everybody knows them but not a lot of people give them a try anyway?  Like I know a ton of people who know Phoenix Wright but if I even mention the name Ace Attorney or something that happens in the actual games he's in they have no idea.  They know Phoenix Wright but they don't know anything else.  Faux popularity.  I don't know, I feel like I'm just being snobbish here so I'll stop.  I don't even post about anime here anymore really it's always manga, light novels, and visual novels...like what I'm about to say.

I finished reading book 5 of Haruhi and started Wavering.  The first two arcs of Wavering have already been adapted I believe but I don't mind.  The ending of Rampage gave me horrible horrible Tsukihime flashbacks with
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
uargahha

At least it was plot important?  No no authors always do that.

Reading ToonyMan's edit has made me realize I never really thought much about what I really look for in my anime/manga/VNs.
Hmm, ditto...but I'm the type that doesn't over analyze everything. I like what I like...
I could go on and state all the variable factors on how a guy getting hit on the crotch is funny & amusing and works on so many levels & all that, but I'm simply satisfied with just cringing and sympathizing with the victim, then pointing and laughing at him and taking pleasure in his pain, suffering and the silent screams of several generations of his family from feeling the aftershocks.
Getting hit in the crotch is pretty unsophisticated.  I guess it's okay as a side thing but I mean...here's an example.

999 was pretty damn hilarious when it wanted to be funny.  I swear 999 has some great dialogue in it just like Ace Attorney it's all about character interactions man.  There doesn't necessarily need to be violence and I look at is more as a side appetizer.  Most of the humor comes from the dialogue, interactions, and visualization.  Like the night before last I was trying to sleep with Jackass 3 playing so I could only hear the stupid as shit movie playing.  Can you guess how much I enjoyed it?  I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it even if I was watching it.  The BULK of the dialogue was crap like "holy shit" or "oh my god" or "SHIROU PAIN" and while I do enjoy Shirou pain this didn't work for me.  You can't portray violence through posts either (unless I travel through your phone line and make your lamp fall on your head) if you ever laughed thanks to mine or someone else's post it was because you read something funny and that's what matters.

EDIT:
I read like 30 pages of Wavering and I'm in a sucky mood right now and with nothing to do so time to write some thoughts on Battle Royale and (island) survival plots in general.
I checked and it looks like DeathToll have a bunch of new Cage of Eden chapters so I should go read those wait why aren't they uploaded to mediafire?!  Oh the pain the pain...
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 05:29:48 pm by ToonyMan »

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10141 on: December 29, 2011, 04:59:54 pm »

What would be a series that represents anime well? As in the tropes and the things people love about anime as a whole. Has to be sfw.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10142 on: December 29, 2011, 05:03:20 pm »

Hmmm... Last Exile?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10143 on: December 29, 2011, 05:42:57 pm »

Last Exile

I seriously recommend that one very much.
It has virtually no nudi... wait.. there is one scene with Mullin..
Other than that, it's pretty much SFW.. If people getting killed are considered SFW.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 05:47:52 pm by Ultimuh »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10144 on: December 29, 2011, 06:09:24 pm »

"Fate/Extra CCC is a sequel announced for Fate/Extra planned for release in Japan during spring 2012. Kinoko Nasu will be writing the scenario, and Takashi Takeuchi will be the character designer."

Damn a sequel in only a year.  Type-Moon makes so much money from Fate it's crazy.  Although I admit I want to play Fate/Extra when I get the chance to.  My brother has a PSP so I could even play the game legitimately.  Hmmm.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10145 on: December 29, 2011, 06:31:04 pm »

I just contemplated playing those simply because of this, but then I realized that doing things because they're (comparatively) unpopular is stupid.
Then you could play them because they're good!  Wait... actually, out of those I can only really recommend Umineko (FSN has lots of terrible bits, Higurashi mainly picks up at the end but has a lot of filler, Tsukihime I haven't played and I'm not entirely sure I ever want to).

Finished Ghost Trick.  Man that ending...
Damn, looks like I've lost once again.  I guess I'll just have to keep a death tally and speculate wildly.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10146 on: December 29, 2011, 07:00:27 pm »

I've had three days of nothing to do so it's just what ends up happening.  The ending was really cool though.
Spoiler: **ending spoilers** (click to show/hide)

Then you could play them because they're good!  Wait... actually, out of those I can only really recommend Umineko (FSN has lots of terrible bits, Higurashi mainly picks up at the end but has a lot of filler, Tsukihime I haven't played and I'm not entirely sure I ever want to).
If I had to recommend those four VNs to other people it would be
 Umineko > Higurashi > Fate/stay night > Tsukihime

Because Umineko is a legitimate read all the way through, Higurashi is pretty goofy sometimes and the beginning is a bit slow, Fate/stay night is absoulately awful sometimes but can also be really cool plus you're pretty much obligated to watch/read Fate/zero which is really good, and Tsukihime is last because I wouldn't even recommend it to myself.  I don't ever remember actually enjoying a scene fullheartily and if I did I was mentally drained and broken.
Spoiler: Tsukihime (click to show/hide)

Wait why do I like Tsukihime again.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10147 on: December 29, 2011, 07:42:30 pm »

I think I'll stay away from that one.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10148 on: December 29, 2011, 08:00:42 pm »

I started Tatami Galaxy this morning, and I'm burning through it.

It is pushing its way into my list of favorites. It's really good.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10149 on: December 29, 2011, 08:49:34 pm »

agreed
Chii: agreed

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10150 on: December 29, 2011, 09:13:37 pm »

Finished Tatami Galaxy.

Really good. Possibly in my top 10.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10151 on: December 29, 2011, 09:19:00 pm »

Oh right, and I just noticed I went to nursery with someone called Saber (or at least on the yearbook thing that was the name the teacher wrote down).  It is a name.  Shirou was right and I was wrong, damn.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10152 on: December 30, 2011, 01:02:18 pm »

agreed
Chii: agreed
That line I said is actually from Kaiji.  Authors are weird.

EDIT:
Oh, hey...another interesting thing...
http://blog.livedoor.jp/humanity6/archives/51811583.html#more
Ah Fate/Prototype.  Are you suppose to call male Saber Saver?  Because I do and I read that somewhere.  Saver looks just like Nasu's character in Red Dragon.  Or a weird Gilgamesh...oh gog those screencaps looks like ufotable did it.  Ufotable have such a distinct style.

"Nasu: I had absolutely no confidence in the erotic bits back then. I didn't even feel the need to put erotic parts in my own stories, so I never even thought about them. When I realized that the game's genre would be in that area, though, I realized it needed sex-related scenes. The thing I feared more than anything else was whether or not I'd be able to write something that would actually turn people on."
Hahahaha this interview is gold

"*15
Nasu is a big liar, so he can't be trusted."
Best editor notes.

EDIT:
Ah man Battle Moon Wars has made my day so much better.  I'm around episode 20 something now and
There's even a new song that came on oh gog this is awesome

I love how everybody mistakes SHIKI for Shinji.  I have screen caps but I can't post them sadly.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 08:58:36 pm by ToonyMan »

atomicwinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10153 on: December 30, 2011, 11:16:17 pm »

Anyone know any anime that is like Welcome to the NHK? I really enjoyed that and am looking for something to watch.

tehc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10154 on: December 31, 2011, 12:37:36 am »

Anyone know any anime that is like Welcome to the NHK? I really enjoyed that and am looking for something to watch.

Genshiken, OreImo or KamiNomi if you want more general otaku stuff. AnoHana if you want another hikikomori (although it is pretty silly by the end, in my opinion). You should fire up its MAL page, as there are usually a bunch of recommendations added by folk. As with any recommendations though, you should take them with a massive grain of salt.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 12:40:11 am by tehc »
Pages: 1 ... 675 676 [677] 678 679 ... 2193