Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 674 675 [676] 677 678 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3065055 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #10125 on: December 26, 2011, 09:48:38 pm »

Been reading Black Butler. Not far in enough to tell if it's any good, but the softcore yaoi I was warned about was obviously present, but very subdued.

Then this happened.

I guess mentally comparing Ciel's sleeping face with an ultrasoft kitten paw just wasn't cutting it for some people. :P
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10126 on: December 26, 2011, 11:39:32 pm »

Yeeea, black butler has a few moments of ciel crossdressing and stuff, its overall very open about its softcore yaoi stuff, its one of those WE'RE GOING TO IMPLY STUFF FOREVER AND MAKE EVERY MALE CHARACTERS FLAMBOYANT IN A WAY OR ANOTHER BUT NO ONE'S REALLY GHEY LOLOLOL (except for that one reaper guy) types. It was written by a woman too (I think), which makes sense :P

It was decent as an anime.

I'm still suffering from lack of berserk. First movie is comming out on january, but I want another chapter to be released even more :C
Meanwhile I'm just being a jerk on tv tropes writing berserk WMG's when I get bored.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 11:42:21 pm by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

tehc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10127 on: December 27, 2011, 03:12:38 am »

I'm still suffering from lack of berserk. First movie is comming out on january, but I want another chapter to be released even more :C

The last chapter was in September, if I remember correctly. Hopefully we'll get one in late January, although don't hold your breath. This is Miura we're talking about. The first movie may well not be out on BD late 2012. At least the original 25 episode Berserk anime is getting a BD release on the 18th of January.

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10128 on: December 27, 2011, 08:58:22 pm »

@Toony:
Here, something interesting to read...
http://www.tsukikan.com/misc/rebirth-of-the-origin.html
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10129 on: December 28, 2011, 01:41:50 am »

"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10130 on: December 28, 2011, 01:42:04 pm »

@Toony:
Here, something interesting to read...
http://www.tsukikan.com/misc/rebirth-of-the-origin.html
So Nasu really does go by that green mushroom thing.  Such an odd avatar.  It's everywhere in his games though.
I'm kind of glad it'll differ from the ancient novel quite a bit, I couldn't find english translations anyway.  Release date is said to be April 12, 2012 right now I think.  The demo is out and it's pretty nice so I don't see it changing hopefully.  Poor poor director Tsukuri.  He's basically editing a Nasuwork.

"Choices have been removed from the story to let users completely immerse themselves"
:o

SOUND NOVEL MAN that's right the demo didn't have any choices!

Although I will miss the constant death scenes.  :[

Is there any explained reason why Aoko's hair isn't super hot crimson red vermilion in Mahoyo?

Oh that's right!  I've been busy so I forgot to mention but I started Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective or whatever a few days ago since it was on my DS game list along with 999.

It's great.  I'm on chapter 16 now and I don't have anything really bad to say.  Capcom should just focus all their energy on VNs and localizing.

Wait so if I got this right...07th Expansion's Umineko 8 was full of choices when they usually do complete sound novels while Type-Moon's Mahoyo is going to be a sound novel when their games are usually full of choices?!  Well at least Higanbana should be a sound novel but it's not part of the When They Cry series anyway.

Yeah that was a good read.  Thanks for the link Kobold.  I understand why the game icon is a blue bird now.

EDIT:
Holy crap I'm trawling through the earlier pages of this thread and it's pretty funny.  Oh I made so many mistakes...I even thought Baccano! was originally a manga.  And then there's Detective Conan which I can now hardly remember reading at night as well as the watching to the end of Soul Society in Bleach which was somewhat enjoyable and flipping out over Gurren Lagann when I can say I like Gainax's Neon Genesis Evangelion way more.  And then I did all the VNs and crazy shit this year.  I've phased from battle shounen shit to murder rape torture psychological mystery murder death blood shi ne korosu goroshi DEEP mindgames gambling omae OMAE OMAE TEMEE KISAMA ZETSUBOU SHITA

Boku wa...

Yeah this is corny.  I don't know.  I like when things don't go main characters way.  I like when a character is in despair.  I like when a character is mentally broken.  I like when a character becomes paranoid and scared.  I like when a character makes desperate decisions.  I like when a character actually thinks about themselves and their situation.  I like when a character knowingly makes the wrong choice and hates themselves.  I LIKE when a plot comes all together amazingly.

BUT

I don't like mindless violence or gore or pain.  I don't like excuses for motivations or impetuses, if a character is going to be two dimensional make them UNIMPORTANT TO THE MAIN PLOT.  I don't necessarily like bad endings, happy endings are fine but don't over freakin' do it.  No tears to revive the dead or just sudden HAPPINESS.  I don't like melodrama.  If you're going to be serious please don't make it over the stupidest shit in the world.  It's the main reason I can't watch almost anything on television because it sucks.  You know how much I care about your family having idiotic drug problems and laziness or if this team of hunters CAN FIND BIGFOOT?  Zero.  Nothing.  That's comedy material unless you have some crazy fantasy shit to throw in, in which case HELL YEAH

BUT

I also like characters who are nice and caring when done well.  It's such a nice privilege to see a character do something heart warming, it kind of makes my heart melt.  Stuff like Liar Game and Kaiji is full of this but they also have a lot of despair to go along as well.  I also like when characters think through on what the best thing they can do to solve a plot.  Whether that being finding the truth, solving the truth, defeating the truth, etc etc.  It just works well.  Now not all battle shounens can be mediocre but they need to keep things going well.  Just please make the characters developed, the plot interesting, and the music rad as hell.  Even if the series sucks I'll make sure to listen to your music whenever I can.

Also...anybody heard of Dangan Ronpa?  Some guy started a LP on SomethingAwful and I've read the prologue so far.  After I finish Ghost Trick I'll probably keep reading that.  I cool english translation would be Bullet Rebuttal and the OP says it's a cross of Ace Attorney and Battle Royale and I can see why he picked those two mainstream-ish names because it's nothing like either at all.  It's its own ridiculous ball game.  Whenever I hear somebody say something is a Battle Royale ripoff I cringe because Btooom and Cage of Eden both kind of suck and Battle Royale isn't too good from the four volumes I've read.  It's definitely better than Cage of Eden and Btooom but it still pisses me off!  Well that's for another post I need to stop editing this...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 04:29:05 pm by ToonyMan »

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10131 on: December 28, 2011, 04:14:54 pm »

Oh, I love Ghost Trick too. The animations are so deliciously smooth, especially Cabanela's.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10132 on: December 28, 2011, 04:29:38 pm »

Oh, I love Ghost Trick too. The animations are so deliciously smooth, especially Cabanela's.
I looove Inspector Cabanela.  He writes/talks like I doooo on Steam, man.

EDIT:
Finished Ghost Trick.  Man that ending...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 07:45:57 pm by ToonyMan »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10133 on: December 28, 2011, 09:08:55 pm »

I actually forgot to get started on Ghost Trick, instead I moved on to Apollo Justice. I just finished the first case and man, I thought I wouldn't like Apollo, but this game already has me pumped up.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10134 on: December 28, 2011, 09:32:53 pm »

EDIT:

Surprising, isn't it?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10135 on: December 28, 2011, 09:46:51 pm »

I actually forgot to get started on Ghost Trick, instead I moved on to Apollo Justice. I just finished the first case and man, I thought I wouldn't like Apollo, but this game already has me pumped up.
Yah.  I have to share some Ace Attorney videos on youtube with you one day.  Once you finish Apollo and Investigations...some are amazing.

EDIT:
Surprising, isn't it?
What's surprising is that everybody plays DS visual novels like Ace Attorney, 999, and Ghost Trick but PC visual novels like Higurashi, Umineko, Tsukihime, and Fate get the stick!  >:O

I swear if there was a Cobra VN on the DS people would have played it.  Even if every single DS VN I've played was great that's not the point noooooooo

I don't have much access to internet right now so I'll finish up book 5 of Haruhi instead of reading the Dangan Ronpa LP.  I can't wait for book 6.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10136 on: December 29, 2011, 01:33:51 am »

EDIT:
Surprising, isn't it?
What's surprising is that everybody plays DS visual novels like Ace Attorney, 999, and Ghost Trick but PC visual novels like Higurashi, Umineko, Tsukihime, and Fate get the stick!  >:O
Speaking of which, this might be of interest to some:
http://digital-haze.net/projects/vnds.html

It's VNs that have been ported on to the DS.

I think I might end up reading True Remembrance, Narcissu, and Planetarian again. Aside from a few key scenes, a lot of it has slipped my mind.

EDIT: Reading ToonyMan's edit has made me realize I never really thought much about what I really look for in my anime/manga/VNs.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 02:02:34 am by Patchouli »

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10137 on: December 29, 2011, 07:11:01 am »

Reading ToonyMan's edit has made me realize I never really thought much about what I really look for in my anime/manga/VNs.
Hmm, ditto...but I'm the type that doesn't over analyze everything. I like what I like...

I could go on and state all the variable factors on how a guy getting hit on the crotch is funny & amusing and works on so many levels & all that, but I'm simply satisfied with just cringing and sympathizing with the victim, then pointing and laughing at him and taking pleasure in his pain, suffering and the silent screams of several generations of his family from feeling the aftershocks.

Finally got a new laptop....maybe now I can get back to playing VN's after some odd years...damn distracting new games, anime's, books, shows, etc.

You should check around the site some more Toony, there's always more interesting stuff...like:
http://www.tsukikan.com/misc/kanwatsukihime/index.html

Speaking of which, this might be of interest to some:
http://digital-haze.net/projects/vnds.html
Niiiccee.....

Oh, hey...another interesting thing...
http://blog.livedoor.jp/humanity6/archives/51811583.html#more
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 07:37:03 am by Kobold Troubadour »
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10138 on: December 29, 2011, 08:58:37 am »

I'm giving Bakemonogatari another shot. Finished the Snail Arc and partway through the sixth episode. It's so much better than the first arc, and the music is pretty neat.

Some things that still bother me:
  • 15 minutes of the third episode was seemingly random talking. I think I may have missed some greater message or something. A lot of people praise the dialogue, but maybe it's because I don't understand Japanese or something, but I think a lot of the side talk is really boring. I hope it's not a recurring thing in all of the arcs to spend 15 minutes just talking randomly with Senjougahara. She's a bit of a bitch, but I know she has a good side, because she's the main girl of an anime harem. But seriously, the extensive side dialogue alone makes me not want to finish.
  • The art is pretty, and the animation is nice... when things are actually being animated.
  • The actual monsters' backgrounds are interesting and good enough for me, but so much happens in an episode, it never feels like the focus is completely on it. The mood swings in the Snail Arc bit more than I'd like, but it's still cool. I guess I'm more used to the more traditional presentations of these sorts of monster anime. I get there's not much point making a direct side-by-side comparison to Mononoke, seeing how vastly different the presentations and moods are. But one thing at least is that in both series, the characters need to find the reason for the monster's existence, and I think I prefer the tighter focus in Mononoke. Something I think that's worth noting of Bakemonogatari is that I it looks like it makes room for an overarching story that involves Araragi's life.
  • I'm usually not much of a fan of direct fanservice.

Uh, but yeah, I think I'm going to drop it again for a while at least.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10139 on: December 29, 2011, 09:10:01 am »

I swear if there was a Cobra VN on the DS people would have played it.  Even if every single DS VN I've played was great that's not the point noooooooo
I just contemplated playing those simply because of this, but then I realized that doing things because they're (comparatively) unpopular is stupid.
Pages: 1 ... 674 675 [676] 677 678 ... 2193