Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 531 532 [533] 534 535 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3061020 times)

Vault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #7980 on: June 28, 2011, 04:50:19 pm »

Fine I'll add you. http://myanimelist.net/animelist/UTK

MAL is a lifesaver though. Especially if you're as way behind on as many shows as I am. >.<;

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7981 on: June 28, 2011, 05:57:57 pm »

I'm lame so I first listed everything in a text file before moving everything over to this epic sized spreadsheet I have now.  I guess I could transfer it all over to MyAnimeList, but I don't feel like doing that right now.

Vault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7982 on: June 28, 2011, 07:03:02 pm »

That's not so much lame as it is oldschool and mindbogglingly awesome. Well... potentially awesome depending on just how much stuff you've seen. ;p

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7983 on: June 28, 2011, 07:50:35 pm »

After that, I started watching the remainder of the eps of the first season of Those Who Watch Elves, which is very well written and entertaining, and the english dubs aren't half bad.

I didn't really like Those Who Hunt Elves. Seemed like a huge excuse to put in as much fanservice as possible :-/

Also, this website makes me so happy: http://www.kawaii-radio.net
It's basically an internet radio station that plays anime OSTs 24/7.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

tomblifter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7984 on: June 28, 2011, 08:02:09 pm »

I enjoy reading my tri-monthly share of Berserk.

tehc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7985 on: June 28, 2011, 08:11:06 pm »

I used to have a MAL account, but I stopped updating it about a hundred years ago. I just stick to my enormous spreadsheet for keeping track of when shows air and what's on my backlog of many shows.

It truly is fucking enormous
And also this page, a download queue for shows that I think deserve to be archived in better quality than whatever I already have

I'm going to start marathoning Hayate in a few minutes. Plan to have both seasons done by this time next week. Being unemployed and doing nothing all day helps to power through anime, although in the time that I finish one, there's usually a few more added to the spreadsheet.

In other news, shit's really going down in Steins;Gate as of late.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 08:27:30 pm by tehc »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7986 on: June 28, 2011, 10:16:17 pm »

Finished The Vision of Escaflowne.  A good solid 90's anime I guess.  I felt like a lot of things could have been better but oh well.  Apparently there's like three mangas and a little novel series so maybe those go into a little more detail and are more interesting.

Oh and a film too.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 10:19:20 pm by ToonyMan »

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7987 on: June 28, 2011, 11:00:31 pm »

Escaflowne is one on my list to watch. Have you seen Genesis of Aquarion that's supposed to be decent too, though some have said the story's not the greatest. And I highly recommend the Macross Zero OVA if you haven't seen that. (Macross Plus is also highly regarded, it's on my list to watch)

Oh and to the Gundam vs Macross thing, I've tried to get into a couple of Gundam series, but I find it boring and too GAR, long winded political intrigue, whereas Macross is more fun/silly with awesome battles but also the humour/pathos, the inevitable love triangle, romance and song power elements, the politics is firmly centered on the individuals characters rather than some bland backstory.

As far as I can tell, you have to be a Gundam pilot to be of any interest as a character in Gundam (going by discussions on the web here as I've only seen a relatively small amount), whereas Valkyrie pilots aren't necessarily the only interesting characters in a Macross series, or even necessarily a majority of interesting characters. If you go to animesuki forums and review the debates, you see that the most contentious characters in Macross Frontier aren't even the Mecha pilots at all (don't feed the fanboi trolls though, you'll get bitten)

I just find it more creative and entertaining overall. Maybe Gundam takes itself too serious. I've seen bits and pieces, there could be something I'm missing, maybe I just need to watch more Gundam series to find one I enjoy. That's another beef, they seem to try and churn out a Gundam every year, whereas they alternate a major or minor Macross release every 5 years.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 11:26:50 pm by Reelyanoob »

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7988 on: June 28, 2011, 11:30:41 pm »

Well I'd suggest Macross Zero, thats a 5 parter, stand-alone story. Amazing dogfights. There's aerial and naval mecha / ship battles unlike any other series I've seen (seriously the naval battle in ep 3 is awesomely beautiful and grim, as is the opening sequence in episode 1). It's also the least "Macross" of all Macross, no aliens, no space travel etc, due to the setting, this actual vastly increases the believability and bleakness, setting all the action on Earth, and all the real enemies are human.

The ending still makes me cry. It's a lot darker than the rest of the entries in the series, Shin is seriously a bitter dude, at least at the start. It's set during the world war they talk about at the start of SDF Macross.

Parts of Macross Frontier will make more sense after that too.

Someone made a montage / music video of some shots here, this might give you a rough idea, though it definitely only shows some of the goodies (mainly shots from eps 1, some from later eps)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCdkVO8Z_T0
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 12:12:32 am by Reelyanoob »

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7989 on: June 29, 2011, 12:11:07 am »

Also going to second Zero.
It really is the best Macross.

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7990 on: June 29, 2011, 12:14:39 am »

-Gundam related stuff.-

You've never seen G Gundam? Never? Never never?

Oh man, if anything, G Gundam makes fun of itself and it's corniness. It takes racial sterotypes to the max, there are next to no politics, it has Calling Your Attacks in boatloads, and it's pretty much a classic TV show that was a central part of my childhood. It's honestly more of a Super Robot show akin to Gaogaigar than it is to Gundam.

If you think Gundam takes itself too seriously, go watch that and get back to me.
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7991 on: June 29, 2011, 01:01:52 am »

Ahhh thanks for that! I'll definitely try and check that particular one out. My problem has been there's so many Gundams it's hard to know where to start. The last thing I tried was to get Gundam Wing DVDs out of the video rental shop, and didn't enjoy it at all.

Also Macross Plus is another good short series (4 episodes or a movie edit), highly acclaimed. It has a notorious love triangle. There's also a pile of Plus related easter eggs in Frontier. Frontier was basically a 25th anniversary series which is > 80% easter eggs related to each of the other Macross series. (i.e. there's a artificial hologram pop star call "Sharon" in Plus, and singer "Sheryl" in Frontier is referred to as a manufactured Idol)

That's why entire scenes and episodes from SDF etc are re-created in Frontier, though Kawamori is hated for "trolling" the fans, recreating 80% of a sequence, lulling you into thinking you know what'll happen next, then a bait-and-switch :) I thought it helped keep it fresh though, and lulz for the existing fans.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 01:15:30 am by Reelyanoob »

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7992 on: June 29, 2011, 01:29:34 am »

I want to watch Gundam, but I'll watch it after CG.

Also, Yotsuba.

IT IS ADORABLE.

OH MY GOD.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7993 on: June 29, 2011, 01:31:30 am »

Adorable you say?
You watched Azumanga yet?

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7994 on: June 29, 2011, 01:38:32 am »

Not yet, my liege.

I have to finish the other shit on my plate first.

Hey, which is the best of the Gundam series? I'm going to strengthen my SOD (especially in mecha design) and watch it... eventually...
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."
Pages: 1 ... 531 532 [533] 534 535 ... 2193