Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 501 502 [503] 504 505 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3060764 times)

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #7530 on: May 21, 2011, 12:12:25 pm »

I'm a lame-o so I copied a Higurashi joke from the anime onto Vision of Escaflowne.

USO DA just means "It's a lie."
Are there people who watch subs who haven't figured that out yet? Once you hear it the first dozen or so times someone is disbelieving something, it starts to be rather obvious.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 12:14:06 pm by Fossaman »
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7531 on: May 21, 2011, 12:32:12 pm »

Hmm, you might want to look into Priest. Maybe it appeals to you.
A western/horror/dark fantasy mix. However it might fall into the category you put the later Berserk chapters in.
But well, this is up for you to decide...

I'm a couple chapters in, and it's pretty interesting so far.

Happy to hear that.
It's one of those interesting things, I never got around to read.
I'm going to change that soon...

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7532 on: May 21, 2011, 12:43:55 pm »

I'm a lame-o so I copied a Higurashi joke from the anime onto Vision of Escaflowne.

USO DA just means "It's a lie."
Are there people who watch subs who haven't figured that out yet? Once you hear it the first dozen or so times someone is disbelieving something, it starts to be rather obvious.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7533 on: May 21, 2011, 06:11:48 pm »

Ohhhh right. I completely forgot about that bit of plot. I guess that's what I get for binge-viewing the series; the overall impression remains, but individual events not so much.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7534 on: May 21, 2011, 08:27:39 pm »

Toony, your avatar is six flavors of creepy.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7535 on: May 21, 2011, 08:42:24 pm »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7536 on: May 21, 2011, 09:04:47 pm »

This is the part where I wish I could read Japanese.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7537 on: May 21, 2011, 09:10:05 pm »

And then there's alternate universe you who does know Japanese and now wishes he didn't.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7538 on: May 21, 2011, 09:25:02 pm »

I watched all of Underground Chocolate today. It's a pretty... unique little mini series, encompassing about 13 eps, with each ep being anywhere from 3 1/2 to 5 minutes long. The whole series is literally about 45-50 minutes long.

Underground Chocolate revolves around some children that live in a bizarrely fascist society where chocolate, and all other non-healthy sweets, are banned completely. Not unlike prohibition. There's a semi-dictator in the form of the Head of the Health and Wellness Bureau, who's just this creepy looking dude like I don't know. It's entertaining, but WSOD is broken repeatedly by the rather orgasmic thrills that the protagonists receive from eating chocolate, and the rather bland cardboard antagonists. I mean, it's just flatout humorous that the governmental enemies just hate chocolate with such a passion that they're willing to expend millions of dollars on chocolate destroying robots and chocolate hating swat teams, and are willing to alienate anyone and everyone's privacy, destroy public and private property, conduct surprise raids on people's humans, DEMOLISH people's homes, and harm untold citizens all in the name of getting people to eat healthily. It's like, the most heinously exaggerated oppressive government that just wants to take away everyone's sweets.

All that said, It's a charming show, I suppose I can recommend it if you have an hour to burn.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7539 on: May 22, 2011, 01:00:43 am »

Alright, so just moved into a new house and I'm still trying to downsize my book collection. Que me looking at my small manga collection because I've never gone back and reread them. So I figured I'd offer you guys a crack at the books before I try putting them in a garage sale or something. This is what I've got.
Now if anyone is interested in owning them I'd either need help paying for shipping them to you or perhaps an exchange for a game off Steam or something. Either way I like this community and I'd rather the books go to people who will actually enjoy them.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7540 on: May 22, 2011, 02:16:31 pm »

@Joshua:
Alright I read up until after the Eclipse and the encounter with the
Should soon reach the point you have mentioned.

The Art Evolution sure is amazing, if you go through it at this pace...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7541 on: May 22, 2011, 09:47:42 pm »

@Joshua:
Alright I read up until after the Eclipse and the encounter with the
Should soon reach the point you have mentioned.

The Art Evolution sure is amazing, if you go through it at this pace...

You still have a ways to go actually.

Godannar is proving to be surprisingly good. Who'd have thought such interesting character and story development would occur in such a shonen/fanservicey show?

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7542 on: May 22, 2011, 09:54:54 pm »

Godannar is proving to be surprisingly good. Who'd have thought such interesting character and story development would occur in such a shonen/fanservicey show?

Godannar, where character development and awesome story meets a super robot show where the ROBOTS boobs jiggle.
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7543 on: May 22, 2011, 09:55:52 pm »

Thank you.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7544 on: May 23, 2011, 04:21:00 am »

I know it isn't anime (and honestly it is easier just to post it here then make an entire thread for animation in general)... but lately I've been watching Jem and the holograms.

It am just blown away by is surprising depth and ambiguity sometimes. I actually REALLY like the show and I find it odd given that I am way out of the age group and gender expected to watch it. Sure there are brainless "filler" episodes but when the drama starts it really kicks in for some of the characters.

I know some people want it to be remade today but I think that it would be a bad idea and for one reason... the Misfits. The best description I've seen of them was that they are "Anti-heros" and actually that is pretty much it on the nose. They arn't cartoon bullies who don't bully, they arn't flawed musicians who are worse then the protagonists (in fact they are a bit better), and they have a lot of depth and character. Their songs are empowering and inspirational as well as just outright fun and their lead singer is actually quite talented, she just doesn't sing straight like Jem does. They are people you can route for.

Jem and the Holograms are easy to get down. The misfits however would be torn appart in todays oddly even more PC world. There is no way they would allow not only the kind of stunts they perform into the show but there is NO way they would allow them to be ambiguous, a lot of their songs are kinda not evil. Pizzazz would probably become just outright evil and Stormy would become the Nag or perhaps even the opposite they would become harmless goody goodies who just pretend to be "bad". Their songs would also likely become flawed and intentionally worse then Jems without meaning.

Also yeah... I really like a lot of the Misfit songs (and they are generally better then Jems). Some if lengthened could be real songs. I mean Wow, I can just list all their best songs.

Plus the other reason it couldn't be made today... is that they couldn't market it the way they do today. It is really obvious when they are doing a marketing ploy in the show. You know with the Rockin Roadster and the Glitter and Gold Roadster (that they never use).
Pages: 1 ... 501 502 [503] 504 505 ... 2193