Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 473 474 [475] 476 477 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3064762 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #7110 on: April 04, 2011, 08:51:37 pm »

Actually, I'd say that 13 eps is plenty of time to create a plot, it's just about how productively the show spends it's time.

For me, I'd say that shorter series are actually more heavily plot driven than longer ones, since the crew that makes them need to cram more into less time, resulting in rich flavorful episodes full of nougats of character development and creamy plot advancement filling. Ones of the reasons I enjoy experimenting with OVA's so much.

What am trying to say is that my tastes are the opposite, where I'm hesitant to try a longer series, because my free time is very finite and I want to be fed alot in a very short period of time. I don't want a long show that spends most of it's time being bread, soup, and rice; or just filler, basically.

Of course, I make exceptions for the more superb, longer course meals; like FMA:B, and Monster.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 08:53:12 pm by JoshuaFH »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7111 on: April 04, 2011, 08:53:03 pm »

There was almost a dirty joke here about carrots, soup, and Neon Genesis Evangelion, but then greater minds prevailed and I'll just say that there should be more manga about radishes.

Mmm, radishes.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 09:06:40 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7112 on: April 04, 2011, 09:01:46 pm »

There needs to be more Monster love.  I'm reading 20th Century Boy and it's really really really great too.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7113 on: April 04, 2011, 09:02:43 pm »

ER! So why do all the vegetables love Mr. Mushroom? Cause he's a fun guy.

I'll be here all week.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 09:20:58 pm by JoshuaFH »

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7114 on: April 04, 2011, 09:47:36 pm »

There was almost a dirty joke here about carrots, soup, and Neon Genesis Evangelion, but then greater minds prevailed and I'll just say that there should be more manga about radishes.

Mmm, radishes.

Radishes are indeed tasty.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7115 on: April 04, 2011, 10:13:44 pm »

So I've started watching the live action Liar Game's second season. The episodes are bigger than ever, weighing in at 45 minutes or more each.

Two episodes in, and two things have become apparent:

Spoiler: First Thing (click to show/hide)

And the second thing is that the effects budget has gotten WILDLY larger than from the first series. Impressive visual effects are slathered over every dynamic of each game, in order to help illustrate how the player's strategy work. It's pretty nice overall, but it gets a bit ham-handed when they do the little hurricane of playing cards with the characters just watching it, like they were in a surreal dreamland or something.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 10:16:03 pm by JoshuaFH »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7116 on: April 04, 2011, 11:37:45 pm »

I guess it is that if the plot doesn't immediately start in a short series, it likely won't pick up later.

I guess I am mostly disapointed that the series I am currently watching could just as easily have something involving plot but likely won't.

Though I will say it probably has the most "Is he a villain?" villain I've seen. I don't mean in the sense that he is so obviously not a villain that I am surprised he is one... He is genuinly so boarderline that every action he takes is questionable. He outright aids and hinders the characters. I can never tell if he is trying to ruin the school or if he somehow has a real character down there somewhere.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7117 on: April 05, 2011, 12:06:18 am »

Also, I should probably mention that I'm aware of some differences in philosophy that govern how short anime are made, which I'm aware of.

First is the type I've described earlier, in that the crew will focus on packing the short story with plot in order to get a story in the little time their given.

The second being that some short series are made as 'training jobs' for amateur animators and producers, so that the newer members of the anime creating community can receive experience to sharpen their skills before they're given jobs on more important anime. These projects aren't given the kind of money, talent, or production time necessary to make them into very good shows.

Of course, I'm not an expert, as this is just second-hand knowledge I've read from anime websites, but it seems pretty plausible to me.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7118 on: April 05, 2011, 12:58:05 am »

There is only one real benefit I can think of in terms of long animes versus shorter ones.

Which is pacing. Some things can only be conveyed over time. Which is why I never just suggest Full Moon and tell people how to skip the filler (You could probably get the anime down to about 20 episodes taking out fuller) since it really hurts some episodes.

Though yeah a lot of people have a 30 episode maximum in terms of series they will start up.

The longest anime I started recently was Hitman Reborn and BOY did that series hit a slog of episodes for the sake of episodes. It is a series that actually makes a downward spiral when more power is introduced.

Bill the dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7119 on: April 05, 2011, 01:25:35 pm »

Strike Witches is awesome.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7120 on: April 05, 2011, 01:44:05 pm »

*Watches final episode of Star Driver, has thought*

Is there no anime that don't have a falcon punch in some shape or form?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7121 on: April 05, 2011, 06:02:47 pm »

Strike Witches is awesome.
I'll second this.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7122 on: April 05, 2011, 10:10:13 pm »

I AM THE GOHDA

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7123 on: April 05, 2011, 10:13:31 pm »

Hello everyone. I don't like anime, but I don't dislike it either. In fact, I don't think that I've ever really experienced anime other than the occasional viewing of Ruroni Kenshin and the Gundam that's about the world fighting tournament thingie on Toonami back when I wasn't as old or crazy as I am now.

Where would I go about starting? I've got a buddy who recommended that I start with Gundam, but I'm not sure which one. I believe that one was presented more hard sci-fictiony than the others, so I'd probably prefer it . . . I'd be up for whatever my fellow 12ers recommended though.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7124 on: April 05, 2011, 10:38:00 pm »

Hello everyone. I don't like anime, but I don't dislike it either. In fact, I don't think that I've ever really experienced anime other than the occasional viewing of Ruroni Kenshin and the Gundam that's about the world fighting tournament thingie on Toonami back when I wasn't as old or crazy as I am now.

Where would I go about starting? I've got a buddy who recommended that I start with Gundam, but I'm not sure which one. I believe that one was presented more hard sci-fictiony than the others, so I'd probably prefer it . . . I'd be up for whatever my fellow 12ers recommended though.

I personally don't like Gundam, it doesn't appeal to me, and there's roughly 5 or so different Gundam series that he could be talking about. I don't think it's a good place to start.

I'm not sure exactly where your interests lie Strife, so a general starting point are some of the more widely known Miyazaki films, which are excellent and don't involve a large time or money investment.

These would include:

Spirited Away
My Neighbor Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service

There's many more, but these are classics, and are family friendly so you could show them to your younger siblings as well. I'm also pretty sure that you could find these with english dubs as well, so you wouldn't need to adjust to subtitles.

If you can handle subtitles easily, then your options widen significantly. Feel free to feed us genres and themes you enjoy, anime is extremely wide and varied so there's something for everyone, guaranteed.
Pages: 1 ... 473 474 [475] 476 477 ... 2193