Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 457 458 [459] 460 461 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3062503 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #6870 on: March 19, 2011, 09:08:15 pm »

Once I watch the Umineko anime I'll give my opinion on how an anime studio is able to adapt a visual novel series.  Leafsnail said they got worse and worse over the story, but I'll have to see for myself once I finish the visual novel.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6871 on: March 19, 2011, 09:14:36 pm »

The problem with this is that every medium has different characteristics, so that expression of a story through one medium may be nearly impossible in another... thus, it makes good sense to alter the form of the story for a different context.

I remember reading somewhere that Akira Toriyama used this as an explanation for why the spirit of Dragonball appeared so different in anime vs. manga format.
I'm curious what the Dragonball manga looks like now, since the anime just seems like it gets reincarnated every so often with less filler and an increasingly long name each time.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6872 on: March 19, 2011, 09:16:24 pm »

The Dragon Ball manga has inspired a ton of series you see today.  Like One Piece.  And now One Piece is inspiring people.  Like Fairy Tail.  Soon people will get inspiration from that.  It usually takes at least a decade to start getting inspirations.

I haven't read the Dragon Ball manga though.  Not even touched it.  I would totally read it though but I'm doing other things.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6873 on: March 19, 2011, 09:17:54 pm »

I've read the last two volumes. Surprisingly short despite how long the anime took to get to that point.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6874 on: March 19, 2011, 09:21:08 pm »

I'm probably going to play F/SN when the week starts again and everyone's in school.

Especially if I don't bother with the censor patch (I'd probably fuck it up so bad that I'd just make my life harder) >_>

Also, someone rec'd Revolutionary Girl Utena (or something) to me.

I have no idea what the hell it is.

Anyone here watch it? Is it watchable or should I just skip it?

I'd prefer the opinion of a person who I know (at least on the internets.)
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6875 on: March 19, 2011, 09:27:05 pm »

It's 42 tankoban long and probably still my favorite manga.  Ever.  Its strength comes from the fact that much of the emotional story behind everything is told through dense and subtle visuals, rather than exposition and symbolism as in most manga nowadays.  For example, there's places where the reader sees one facial expression and one panel, which details an emotional reaction that would probably be stretched out for pages and pages in a manga... despite Toriyama having revealed that he never ever plans ahead, there's a lot of difficult and rare emotional situations that I felt were handled with surprising realism.  That, and it has a wonderfully surreal sense of humor.  And the smartest person in the entire strip is a woman, which was a really nice surprise coming from that era.

Unfortunately, most of the charm is untranslatable into English.  All the same, it's my most highly recommended manga.

Also, someone rec'd Revolutionary Girl Utena (or something) to me.

I have no idea what the hell it is.

Anyone here watch it? Is it watchable or should I just skip it?

I'd prefer the opinion of a person who I know (at least on the internets.)

SKU (Shoujo Kakumei Utena) is famous for basically being the Evangelion of the slice-of-life school manga.  It has a bunch of convoluted love plots, an all-powerful and extremely good-looking school council, roses everywhere, bizarre school uniforms... and bucketloads of angst, symbolism, and horrible things happening all over the place.

Frankly, I preferred Evangelion, but I have to admit the genius of Utena.  I'm hoping to go back and watch it someday--due to some friend politics I was unable to make myself go through it, but essay after essay has been written on it as a study on adolescence and psychology.  For something so poorly known it's a very important work.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6876 on: March 19, 2011, 09:28:43 pm »

A friend classmate of mine has all of the episodes and spent most of schooltime for an entire week watching them :O

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6877 on: March 19, 2011, 09:32:53 pm »

Lord, why do my friends always rec such sad/depressing works?

It's not like I don't like them, I pretty much eat them up.

Also:

Convoluted love plots?

Hrm, color me slightly (only slightly) put off but I'll dig.

Wow, I'm sure racking up a lot of animes to watch and mangas to read.

This'll take me for-fucking-ever~

Oh shit tildes
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6878 on: March 19, 2011, 09:38:24 pm »

Evangelion also had convoluted love plots, though >_>  I mean, most of the explanation for the action in the show comes from some convoluted love plot or another.

It's not quite like the typical shoujo standard of today.  The older ones were quite a bit easier to understand.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6879 on: March 19, 2011, 09:40:25 pm »

Well, I'm only on episode 8 (going to watch 9 when the iPod's done charging; my dad's going to buy a protective rubber thing for the Macbook).

I'm guessing there's a love triangle with our favorite pilots or something, eh?

And then some revelations occur that make it either squicky or immensely depressing, right?
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6880 on: March 19, 2011, 09:41:23 pm »

Just watch :D  It's good, and I don't want to spoil anything.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6881 on: March 19, 2011, 09:42:21 pm »

I would imagine it being Shinji x Rei or Shinji x A-something (the hot-blooded one).

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6882 on: March 19, 2011, 09:44:02 pm »

Right-o, Vector, Goddess of Math and Anime Recommendations Verifying and Stuff.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6883 on: March 19, 2011, 09:54:11 pm »

I'll probably get more later.  >_>

EDIT:
Oh wow episode 490 of One Piece just snuck up on me.  Cool.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 10:04:38 pm by ToonyMan »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6884 on: March 19, 2011, 10:13:47 pm »

If those are the actual lines... (or just REALLY REALLY horribly litteral translations) then I am seriously starting to wonder why ANYONE likes visual novels.

I am starting to feel like I can write one.

Hero guy: "The feeling I'm feeling?"
Hero girl: "..."
Hero Guy: "..."

Done... Visual novel GOLD!
Pages: 1 ... 457 458 [459] 460 461 ... 2193