Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 454 455 [456] 457 458 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3063973 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #6825 on: March 18, 2011, 05:20:22 am »

They're also a fairly common character in western animation

I don't remember saying anything about Schoolgirls.

That isn't what I meant by themes and stuff like that.

Though as I said I was being general.

there are plenty of anime that are extremely episodic

A popular one is Lupin III

Case Closed / Detective Conan is also episodic but does feature some continuity.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 05:21:54 am by Neonivek »

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #6826 on: March 18, 2011, 05:22:19 am »

[I don't remember saying anything about Schoolgirls.
Haha. You didn't. I was just using them as an example.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 05:25:02 am by fqllve »
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #6827 on: March 18, 2011, 05:30:02 am »

It doesn't help Western Animation that there is a social stigma applied to the style in that it is intended for younger ages with humorous tones, and animation for older audiences are only so due to adult humor. With younger ages, you get a better marketing strategy if you get a billion different episodes that have nothing to do with eachother. It's hard to maintain constant attention to plot, and much of the effort is wasted. That's not to say plotted animation isn't for younger audiences; I sure enjoyed them as a kid. It's just that the plot perhaps won't be as appreciated due to the limited perception or lack of attention span.

Western Animation that goes towards a plotted approach appeal to the middle: young adolescents. There is still great entertainment in animation while providing a hooked story. Stuff like Gargoyles and Avatar really shine here.

Hopefully the success of Avatar (and hope against the flop of the poorly developed movie) and the popular anime for younger ages will lift western animation out of such focus on younger ages. Then again, that success it outshone by the success of adult-humor-oriented animation.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6828 on: March 18, 2011, 05:33:15 am »

Right now Chaoswizkid they are right now trying to get the balance between story/character and action.

Spetacular Spiderman is a good example of how the show just sort of broke down into pure action (but out of every show that came out recently... it was the best IMO)

The Batman is interesting in that is did the complete opposite. It started off stupid action and actually... got better.

Avengers Earth's mightiest heros was an awsome show... visually... but storywise there was so little point in watching (and judging that I cannot see a 20th episode I guess people agree).

I am not sure what exactly is happening though. Why are they making expencive forgettable shows? don't they have very good writers still alive?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 05:39:45 am by Neonivek »

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #6829 on: March 18, 2011, 05:46:20 am »

Flashy and forgettable shows are just more common than well written ones. It's hard to get a good idea past studio executives.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6830 on: March 18, 2011, 06:08:53 am »

Flashy and forgettable shows are just more common than well written ones. It's hard to get a good idea past studio executives.

Yeah but there are so many of them right now. They used to have a certain amount of consistancy.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6831 on: March 18, 2011, 07:55:57 am »

Watched F/SN episode 5.

When Sakura asked Shirou if he was stashing girls in his house, is it bad that I saw him in a stereotypical pimp outfit, complete with cane and fur-trimmed coat?

Then I thought "SHIROU IS A PIMP!"

EDIT FOR WRONG EP NUMBER
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 08:20:41 pm by Acanthus117 »
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6832 on: March 18, 2011, 02:39:20 pm »

So like my anime friend has two other anime/manga friends I knew already, but didn't know about the anime thing.  Which is cool.  One of them reads the Soul Eater manga, but I haven't even bothered with that.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6833 on: March 18, 2011, 03:10:57 pm »

So do we know when the new arc will start, while interesting these short fillers get boring really fast if they aren't a parody or something since i have long stopped watching bleach for some message or something
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6834 on: March 18, 2011, 03:20:08 pm »

It's gonna have to be after episode 416 since that's when this current season ends I believe.  If it doesn't start next season (I don't think it will), then expect to see a filler arc!  From previous posts everybody seems to love Bleach filler arcs.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6835 on: March 18, 2011, 03:22:58 pm »

Speaking of arcs and seasons, just about how done/finished do you think One Piece is? I would think it's about a third done, but this is the only anime i've ever watch and I don't really have a clue.
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6836 on: March 18, 2011, 03:25:49 pm »

Wait, so 100 episodes of filler!?!?
NO WAY MAN FUCK THIS
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6837 on: March 18, 2011, 03:27:40 pm »

Speaking of arcs and seasons, just about how done/finished do you think One Piece is? I would think it's about a third done, but this is the only anime i've ever watch and I don't really have a clue.
Oda said it's half over at the 600 chapter point.  He also said One Piece would be over in 2002 too.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #6838 on: March 18, 2011, 03:33:05 pm »

This is going to sound odd considering that I don't like mecha shows in general, but the American cartoon Exosquad was... interesting.

I used to watch it when I was a young. It is a sci-fantasy show following a squad if "E-Frame" AKA mecha pilots through a war between humanity and the neosapiens that were genetically engineered as a form of slave labor for hostile environments. It was the most mature, deep and interesting Saturday morning show on TV at the time (and probably to this day).

It isn't anime per se, but its worth a look at as it represents a different approach to some common themes and tropes.

Note: it was pre DVD, so its virtually impossible to find a quality copy of the whole thing and the animation style is dated to say the least.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6839 on: March 18, 2011, 03:55:16 pm »

This is going to sound odd considering that I don't like mecha shows in general, but the American cartoon Exosquad was... interesting.

I used to watch it when I was a young. It is a sci-fantasy show following a squad if "E-Frame" AKA mecha pilots through a war between humanity and the neosapiens that were genetically engineered as a form of slave labor for hostile environments. It was the most mature, deep and interesting Saturday morning show on TV at the time (and probably to this day).

It isn't anime per se, but its worth a look at as it represents a different approach to some common themes and tropes.

Note: it was pre DVD, so its virtually impossible to find a quality copy of the whole thing and the animation style is dated to say the least.
Hulu has 52 episodes of it. (Don't know if that's all of them.) And they actually billed it as an 'American Anime', whatever they mean by that. I think I watched the first episode and got turned off by the voice acting. I may have to give it a second try as background noise to my minecraft game...
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.
Pages: 1 ... 454 455 [456] 457 458 ... 2193