Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 449 450 [451] 452 453 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3064959 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #6750 on: March 16, 2011, 04:52:59 pm »

I think Josh still loves people that answer his over 2 year old question.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6751 on: March 16, 2011, 05:50:17 pm »

Right, so here's my list of Anime/Manga I'm currently watching.

Ah! My Goddess: Watched 4 episodes.
Fate Stay Night: Watched 4 episodes
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Watched 8 episodes
Love Hina: Watched 1 episode
Black Lagoon: Watched 2 episodes

Animes/Movies/Whatever I have finished (Yes, I know, it's sad):

TTGL
FMA:B (Manga and anime)
Spirited Away

Animes and Mangas I plan to watch/read:

Jin-Roh
Pumpkin Scissors
Those Who Hunt Elves
Code Geass
Gunslinger Girl
Saikano
Last Exile
Cowboy Bebop
Baccano!

My thoughts on the ones I am watching:

Ah! My Goddess: While I expected this to happen when Belldandy first rolled around, I was mostly surprised. It's a decent show, nothing special. Still wondering when those other two girls from the theme song (silver haired chick with Absolute Cleavage and the little girl) show up. It's funny, kinda weird but I like it.

Fate Stay Night: Pretty cool, think the concept is awesome, but I have plenty of questions about the Heroic Spirits and the Grail wars. Is that actually the Holy Grail that Jesus drank from at the Last Supper (I know priestman said that it's a moot point, but I'm curious)? How do heroic spirits gain their power? Is it dependent on contemporary conceptions of said heroes? How the hell does no one see all the explosions and jumping people and swordfights going on in Fuyuki City? Shirou's an idealist (which is alright, but it's nice to see his beliefs are constantly being challenged) Saber's pretty cool (When she first arrived, and Shirou was narrating that he couldn't talk because she was so pretty, I thought "BECAUSE YOU HAVE A BONER" and then I started laughing. Yeah, I know, I'm stupid that way.) but I get tired of Rin pretty fast... Sakura and the teacher who everyone calls Tiger are alright, but Tiger lady's antics get on my nerves at times.

I also have a question: Is that priest chap actually a priest or is he just masquerading as one for the Holy Grail Wars?

Neon Genesis Evangelion: Depressingly awesome. Was never a fan of giant robots, but this show changed my mind. I like the characters (despite their flaws) and how they (the kids) try to cope with being pilots of asshuge robots that kill giant diamond things and giant monsters and stuff. Its interesting to see Shinji's mental problems (I'm not so sure what he has yet, it's too early in the series and I'm no psychoanalyst or whatever) I do have to wonder, though. Is there some unspoken rule amongst mecha pilots that they have to be mentally (and emotionally) unbalanced to the point of their being a potential safety hazard?

Another one: What is LCL? Is it reduced baby souls or something? Knowing Gendo Ikari and what he'll do to ensure he's ahead, I wouldn't be surprised. >_>

Love Hina: As I said before, I try to set my brain to the 'off' position when I watch this. It's harmless fun, and although I'm not a fan of harem anime, I need something a little lighthearted to distract me from all the dreary stuff I've been reading/watching/playing/writing. Why the fuck does that turtle thing fly? Is it some sort of demon or something?

Black Lagoon: Awesome. It's so awesome that I can hardly talk about it. It's got guns, boats, booze, and other stuff. Revy is cool, Rock is cool, Dutch is cool and computer dude is cool. Not to mention, it's the first anime I've seen that's in that area of the world and stuff.

In other news... They say (Other internet peoples) that a show called Puella Magi Madoka Magica is apparently the NGE of Magical Girl animes and that it's fucked up as all hell...

It sounds interesting and I was wondering if I should bother...

EDIT: It seems that I always forget the names of one (or two) minor (or not so minor) characters. It's just too hard to keep track of all of them >_>

EDIT2: Fixed a minor thingamabob (silver haired chick's hair is silver not black XP)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 06:00:42 pm by Acanthus117 »
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6752 on: March 16, 2011, 05:52:52 pm »

Actually, the emo mech pilots rule came from Evangelion.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6753 on: March 16, 2011, 05:55:45 pm »

Fate/ Stay Night: From what i know the grail was real based from jesus himself. The Priest is a actual priest with beliefs but he has magic.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6754 on: March 16, 2011, 05:55:50 pm »

As a matter of fact, I do. I never expected the outcome of making this thread would for it to become so large and still have people answering the apposited question years after it's creation.

So I'm finally done racking my brain, and my total list of completed anime series/movies which I've watched numbers 103. 117 if you include the notable examples, amounting to hundreds and hundreds of hours of anime watching. I feel no pride in this fact, only self-awe at my outrageous nerdocity.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6755 on: March 16, 2011, 05:59:29 pm »

Huh. Never knew that.

Fate/ Stay Night: From what i know the grail was real based from jesus himself. The Priest is a actual priest with beliefs but he has magic.

Wouldn't that make him... not a priest? You'd think the Vatican wouldn't approve of a priest overseeing blood sport with magic and killing and stuff.

Also, in F/SN: I'm thinking that Saber's Joan of Arc, but I'm sure that the writers aren't so stereotypical to use her?

Right? Right?
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6756 on: March 16, 2011, 06:00:52 pm »

Wrong, you'll get a surprise soon :D

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6757 on: March 16, 2011, 06:34:54 pm »

As a matter of fact, I do. I never expected the outcome of making this thread would for it to become so large and still have people answering the apposited question years after it's creation.

So I'm finally done racking my brain, and my total list of completed anime series/movies which I've watched numbers 103. 117 if you include the notable examples, amounting to hundreds and hundreds of hours of anime watching. I feel no pride in this fact, only self-awe at my outrageous nerdocity.
Don't worry Josh.  While you beat me in quantity I'm doing pretty good in the time-span/speed nerdocity.  In a short time of one year I've done so much more than I could list.  And new things are always being added...  I'm pretty sure the first real anime I started and finished was Baccano! back in December of 2009.  That wasn't that long ago at all either.  Most fans I see have been fans for a long time (since childhood usually) or just like Bleach/One Piece/Naruto.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6758 on: March 16, 2011, 06:47:16 pm »

Wrong, you'll get a surprise soon :D

Can't wait XD
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6759 on: March 16, 2011, 06:49:00 pm »

Huh. Never knew that.

Yeah, it's kind of cool, right?  It was originally written as a deconstruction of "cool and happy" mech pilots, which then turned into... well, you know.

Then Gainax went and deconstructed the trope it had set up with TTGL :D
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6760 on: March 16, 2011, 06:49:52 pm »

As they say, reconstructed.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6761 on: March 16, 2011, 06:51:07 pm »

Sort of.  I think that if TTGL had been released in the first situation, it would have just come off as bizarre and nonsensical.  As a reaction to Evangelion, though... it's amazing.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6762 on: March 16, 2011, 06:53:48 pm »

I just went and checked.  Apparently I'm on episode 6 of NGE next.  Although I have no intentions of continuing until I finish this Umineko game.  I'll definitely come back, finish the series, and then watch the 3(?) movies.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6763 on: March 16, 2011, 06:55:35 pm »

TTGL was something I watched for shits and giggles, sorta like Ah! My Goddess and Love Hina.

Still, I feel so bad for

Turn your brains off when you watch 'em, IMHO.

I prefer srs plots and such (but a bit of levity never hurt; GRIMDARK OF DARK AND GRIM gets tiring, but so does the opposite.)

Yeah, it's kind of cool, right?  It was originally written as a deconstruction of "cool and happy" mech pilots, which then turned into... well, you know.

Then Gainax went and deconstructed the trope it had set up with TTGL :D

Pfft, yeah I know what you mean.

Hot Bloodedness and sheer Mangrit can do anything.

Also, who do you prefer as a character, Rei or Asuka (take in mind that I'm only on episode 8, watched a part of episode nine [Asuka's telling Rei they should be friends of convenience], so don't spoiler me plz bro)?

I'm with Rei, but only because she's creepy yet adorable.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6764 on: March 16, 2011, 06:58:58 pm »

Hmm... I find Asuka's personality really annoying, so I'm prone to go with Rei.  But in the end, I don't think I have a real preference.  I feel quite sorry for both.

I guess that I should say that I prefer Asuka's hidden personality and Rei's surface.

My favorite character is 1000% Gendo, though.

Pages: 1 ... 449 450 [451] 452 453 ... 2193