Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 448 449 [450] 451 452 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3064930 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #6735 on: March 15, 2011, 11:55:38 pm »

Harem anime (sigh). I guess when you have eight different girls who are all love interests you just run out of ideas for personality traits pretty quick.

Or it never mattered in the first place because they're all there for eye candy.

Yeah, I just can't stand them anymore </3  They weren't even very good eye candy... not for me, anyway >_>

My problem with those shows is that they're so predictable, really, which makes it so that all of the girls just seem like extra, unnecessary window dressing.  They didn't really change Keitaro's personality, other than Natsu...

Okay, I'll admit that I really liked Su and Motoko, when they weren't just being violent.  The turtle-robots were really cute.  But in general, yeah, I hate this sort of thing.

(Especially Megatokyo.)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6736 on: March 15, 2011, 11:58:26 pm »

Jesus, I can't believe I forgot.

Other military anime: Saikano.  It's... it's so good.  The manga is better, but it's still really amazing.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6737 on: March 16, 2011, 12:17:11 am »

Ah yes Pumpkin Scissors, I remember that one. Decent but I can't even remember how I ended up watching it though.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6738 on: March 16, 2011, 12:22:34 am »

Thanks, guys!

@Vector: For me, manga is ideal, but only because I can't get a decent set of headphones.

If I want to watch a series, I've to use my iPod, and that's not always available >_<
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6739 on: March 16, 2011, 12:24:50 am »

Dude... then yeah, read the Saikano manga.  Read it, read it, read it~!

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #6740 on: March 16, 2011, 01:12:35 am »

Saikano is beautiful. Not just the art either, the whole thing. I need to finish it.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #6741 on: March 16, 2011, 02:12:26 am »

The fuck?

Anyways, would anyone recommend any military-style animes that are serious?

Fantasy or Sci-fi, whatever, as long as it's serious and of decent quality.

Would doubly recommend Ghost in the Shell.

The Gunslinger Girl manga is very political/militaristic, so it might be something you're into.

Code Geass -might- be something you're looking for. It's less military-style, has silly moments, but it has definite strategic and tactical scenes with a lot of politics involved. Then again there's a very large dose of fiction in the form of Geass, so that might not work for you.

Trying to think of other ones that I've seen...
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #6742 on: March 16, 2011, 02:33:03 am »

Let's see...

Gurren laggan obviously.

For some reason my favorite is still the first I watched all the way through, and it's Bomberman Jetterz.. what starts off as a monster of the week kids show staring bomberman becomes this crazy deep identity crisis stuff by the second season and it's just like, crazy.  Also hilarious.

Toradora is insanely cute and I'm ashamed for being a man and loving it so.

Samurai jack isn't technically an anime but it's still one of the best animated shows ever.

Genshiken.  I watched it in anime club, and it's a show, about people in an anime club.

And I've watched a bunch of others part way and all the way through but there either not that great or I can't remember there names.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6743 on: March 16, 2011, 03:07:48 am »

Uhm, I've heard of one show, Zipang, that's supposed to be a time travel alternate history study of WWII Japan, but I dunno much about it.
I've seen it. Last time I checked there was only one season available, which left the story in a pretty much unresolved state, with no second season in sight.
Anyway, do you know that cheesy american movie from the 80s - "The final countdown"? In which, an American then-modern carrier goes back in time to just before Pearl Harbor and plans to show them the American way and divine justice with all that superior technology*?

Well, this is exactly the same story, only made with the Japanese audience in mind. Which means that we get a JSDF AEGIS-class cruiser going back in time, and kicking the yankee butts, only with more "what's the right thing to do" pondering, which is a welcome change from the previously mentioned film's attitude of "hell yeah, let's do it!".
Ironically, the ship is built with probably +90% made in USA technology, when you think about it.
And without spoiling much, I can say that it doesn't go back.

There isn't that much of an alternate history here, in the end. The most promising arc in this respect is only signalled at the very end of the show, and left to develop in the, as of yet nonexistent, sequel.
The best parts, apart from showing off the capabilities of moder technology, are probably when the imperialistic mentality of the characters native to the timeline clashes with the mentality of JSDF servicemen.

There are some cliche things too. Most notably, Yamamoto is completely dehumanized, and presented as an almost saint-like figure, which appears to be notorious treatment for notable people from Japanese history in this medium. Also, the Americans are so stereotyped that it's almost comedic.

It's a good watch, all in all. Gives some food for thought, but not as much as it potentially could. And, you're bound to be left with a cliffhanger of sorts, by the end.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=4649

*I don't think I'm going to be generalising too much by saying that every boy dreamt of something similar, taking modern weapons to the past and kicking arse. I remember that I wanted to have a machinegun at the Battle of Grunwald(aka Tannenberg).

Re: Jin-Roh - it's a really great film, I highly recommend it, even though it's not really military-themed. More like military police-themed. The plot is concerned with fighting dissidents, and internal struggles within the secret service ranks. The fact that some of the operatives use heavy combat equipment is just an artistic touch(or more like Oshii's pet peeve, I suppose).
High production values, hyper-realistic art designs, haunting music score, and a challenge for your brain cells. Worth watching whether you are an anime fan or not.

One other military-styled show that I can think of: Area 88 - an oldie(oh, the hair!), about mercenary jet-fighter pilots.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6744 on: March 16, 2011, 07:16:15 am »

I've seen it. Last time I checked there was only one season available, which left the story in a pretty much unresolved state, with no second season in sight.
Anyway, do you know that cheesy american movie from the 80s - "The final countdown"? In which, an American then-modern carrier goes back in time to just before Pearl Harbor and plans to show them the American way and divine justice with all that superior technology*?

Less "show them the American way and divine justice" than "We swore to defend this country, and it's about to be attacked. Our oath says nothing about "when" we should defend it."
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6745 on: March 16, 2011, 08:24:36 am »

Well, as always when it comes to reviewing anything, it's the case of YMMV.
Myself, I found it full of cheese and masturbatory righteousness.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6746 on: March 16, 2011, 12:37:02 pm »

Just watch through some One Piece i've missed out on from being in California.

And...  :o natural disasters cancel animes! This is bad!
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #6747 on: March 16, 2011, 12:42:13 pm »

Jin-Roh was good. Its definitely one of those "no happy endings" type of thing though.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6748 on: March 16, 2011, 02:22:07 pm »

Just watch through some One Piece i've missed out on from being in California.
And...  :o natural disasters cancel animes! This is bad!
Yep, my guess is they'll air it next week.

Saikano looks like something to check out.

...I haven't touched a manga or anime since Friday thanks to Umineko.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6749 on: March 16, 2011, 03:16:29 pm »

So yeah, i tend to watch a lot of anime, and i wonder how many others here watch anime too.
No. :l
Pages: 1 ... 448 449 [450] 451 452 ... 2193