Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 447 448 [449] 450 451 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3064943 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #6720 on: March 15, 2011, 06:40:39 pm »

After some downright painful brain racking, I've remembered quite a few things which I've watched that I will add to my list file. I'm embarrassed to think that I honestly forgot about some of these:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Theres one more that's on the tip of my tongue, but I just can't remember the name of it. It was a movie about a boy that was half-tree or something, and he had super strength, and he had to fight a guy in a walking volcano to get his girlfriend back.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6721 on: March 15, 2011, 06:42:06 pm »

I don't know why...

But I decided to start watching Love Hina.

Jesus H. Christ, Keitaro must be some sort of fuckin' superman if he can take all that damage.

He might be a wimp, but he can sure take a hit. Or two. Or several hundred.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6722 on: March 15, 2011, 06:45:31 pm »

So me and my brothers just marathon'd Desert Punk. Anybody else seen it?
I saw the first few episodes on Starz once. It was pretty good. Humor was a little juvenile but I'd watch the rest. Not a bad dub either.

It starts off pretty bad and the ending felt like a cop-out, but the middle episodes are good.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6723 on: March 15, 2011, 07:43:21 pm »

I also just saw the first season of Afro Samurai.
Oh Ninja Ninja, you're so wacky...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6724 on: March 15, 2011, 09:01:03 pm »

Keitaro must be some sort of fuckin' superman if he can take all that damage

Honestly while I like some of the dialog in Love Hina... A lot of the abuse goes WAAAAAAAAAY too far and becomes... well... abuse

It is one of the few comedies that can elicit my sympathy barrier (or rather the point where I feel too sorry for the characters to find the rest entertaining)

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6725 on: March 15, 2011, 09:46:06 pm »

It's slapstick.

I try not to take it seriously; if I did, I'd probably not like it anymorre.

Heaven knows I need to watch something not depressing.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6726 on: March 15, 2011, 09:52:39 pm »

It's slapstick.

I try not to take it seriously; if I did, I'd probably not like it anymorre.

I have an overactive sense of sympathy but Love Hina does go a bit beyond that and becomes just active abuse.

Especially since some characters just lose IQ JUST to beat him up. Meaning it seems like they actively just like to beat him up.

Though the worst comedy I've seen where I just found it horrible was I believe a MadTV sketch involving Richard Simmons and a blind woman (It is almost sad enough to make me cry... yet it is supposed to be funny)

So suffice it to say I have this internal limit where something leaves slapstick and enters "My god what are they doing?" and it happens once in a while. No comedy can recover after it reaches that point though. It is like the black hole of comedy.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 09:54:43 pm by Neonivek »

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #6727 on: March 15, 2011, 10:29:51 pm »

So suffice it to say I have this internal limit where something leaves slapstick and enters "My god what are they doing?" and it happens once in a while. No comedy can recover after it reaches that point though. It is like the black hole of comedy.
It's not just you, Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan did the same for me. I imagine Ah! Megami-sama probably would too if I was willing to go anywhere near another magical girlfriend anime.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6728 on: March 15, 2011, 10:55:45 pm »

Isn't that the one where this angel chick beats the fuck out of this kid because he's going to do something really bad (don't know what it is) in the future?
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6729 on: March 15, 2011, 11:03:28 pm »

Isn't that the one where this angel chick beats the fuck out of this kid because he's going to do something really bad (don't know what it is) in the future?

I think he creates something that rolls back time and turns every female into a Loli.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6730 on: March 15, 2011, 11:08:47 pm »

The fuck?

Anyways, would anyone recommend any military-style animes that are serious?

Fantasy or Sci-fi, whatever, as long as it's serious and of decent quality.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #6731 on: March 15, 2011, 11:26:22 pm »

I don't think I can come up with a military anime that isn't mecha. For the Japanese any army without a giant robot isn't a real army at all.

Flag is good, it's something like 50/50 Wartime photojournalism and real robots.

Full Metal Panic! Is mostly serious, but it starts out comedic. The side series Fumoffu? is strictly comedy shorts, but the second series The Second Raid excised all jokes.

Ghost in the Shell has military vibe, but it's mostly a cyberpunk existential thriller kinda thing.

Uhm, I've heard of one show, Zipang, that's supposed to be a time travel alternate history study of WWII Japan, but I dunno much about it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6732 on: March 15, 2011, 11:29:46 pm »

It's not just you, Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan did the same for me. I imagine Ah! Megami-sama probably would too if I was willing to go anywhere near another magical girlfriend anime.

Actually, that one is nowhere near as bad.  It has a lot of cute moments, and there really isn't much friend-propagated violence in it.

Hate to say it, but I actually enjoy it quite a bit >_> <_<

I read Love Hina, though, and... oh, it was hard to read.  Especially the girls holding their breasts up in front of the mirror while saying "It looks like they grew a little bit <3"  The characterization was just... so flat...

Military anime with no mecha!  Pumpkin Scissors (not that great, but military) and Jin-Roh (fucking amazing).
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #6733 on: March 15, 2011, 11:35:50 pm »

Military anime with no mecha!  Pumpkin Scissors (not that great, but military) and Jin-Roh (fucking amazing).
Jin-Roh is indeed fucking amazing and I suck for not listing it.

And oops, I forgot Patlabor, another real robot show. It's less military and more SWAT with robots, but it's still good.

I read Love Hina, though, and... oh, it was hard to read.  Especially the girls holding their breasts up in front of the mirror while saying "It looks like they grew a little bit <3"  The characterization was just... so flat...
Harem anime (sigh). I guess when you have eight different girls who are all love interests you just run out of ideas for personality traits pretty quick.

Or it never mattered in the first place because they're all there for eye candy.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6734 on: March 15, 2011, 11:48:24 pm »

Jin-Roh. Sounds cool, I'll check it out.

Also, SWAT robots?!

AWESOME.

YOU DOUBLE PENIS
Pages: 1 ... 447 448 [449] 450 451 ... 2193