Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 429 430 [431] 432 433 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3066829 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #6450 on: February 20, 2011, 06:14:34 pm »

I usually only watch something without subtitles after I've already watched it with them.
That makes more sense now, thanks for the clarification.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #6451 on: February 21, 2011, 03:18:27 am »

Gunslinger Girl, Manga Chap 48. Almost made me cry, damnit.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6452 on: February 21, 2011, 05:51:38 am »

I certainly hope that that insinuates that the author actually has a fair chance of getting back to it soon. I'd be very happy if so.

Also, does anyone know about an obscure anime called "Nodame Cantabile"? It looked kind of interesting and it's been talked of highly in the few reviews I've read, but I don't know whether or not to check it out.
I watched the first two or three episodes of this, but the combination of an obnoxious voice actor for Nodame and the finger movements not matching the piano pieces put me off of it.

Question for Vector: How did they work the music in the live action version? Was it dubbed over, or did they find actors that could play the instruments? Or stock footage of actual musicians or something?
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6453 on: February 21, 2011, 08:41:32 am »

Yeah. That was incredibly sad. Almost as bad as when you found out where she came from in the first place.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6454 on: February 21, 2011, 12:40:04 pm »

Ha wow, I'm finally done with Liar Game. That was the most awesome game of musical chairs ever, with the most unexpected ending I could have never imagined. I can't believe that it just ends so abruptly like that, without even a note from the author explaining his hiatus.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I wish that there were twisted game shows that mimicked games like this.

Also, I've caught wind of a Liar Game live action series, which I fully intend on investigating thoroughly.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6455 on: February 21, 2011, 12:56:12 pm »

They screw with a lot of details and that guy person isn't a transvestite anymore.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #6456 on: February 21, 2011, 03:36:53 pm »

Yeah. That was incredibly sad. Almost as bad as when you found out where she came from in the first place.

It was actually worse for me than her origins. When I heard about her origins, I felt mostly like "Humanity can be unexpectedly, horribly cruel." It was especially easy to feel that way due to the entire feel of the manga. Chap 48 though, that one was a totally different flavor. The characterization and emotional portrayal in the manga is so well done that it broke my heart to read it. I'm tearing up right now just remembering it.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6457 on: February 21, 2011, 03:55:27 pm »

Question for Vector: How did they work the music in the live action version? Was it dubbed over, or did they find actors that could play the instruments? Or stock footage of actual musicians or something?

I believe there were some folks who could actually play the instruments and some that couldn't.  For most of the large orchestras, they got actual musicians to do it.  A lot of the actors probably couldn't play well, but had enough training that they looked like they knew what they were doing.  I believe that for a lot of the piano shots they got a professional to do the hands.

But, I don't believe any of it was stock footage.  In any case, all of the music was extremely well done and I found myself consistently moved and impressed.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6458 on: February 21, 2011, 04:05:33 pm »

Among my various criticisms of anime is that never once have I seen an anime with a strong male character.  Strong as in personality and psychology that is.  As you can probably guess from my avatar, I respect a guy who takes whatever's dished to him.  Male characters in anime are almost exclusively whiny milksops, aloof bitches, or the rare super-macho comic relief.  For that matter, I like to see female characters with the same qualities, but even they're pretty few and far between.  The Japanese don't seem to find good-humored endurance a laudable trait.

Black Lagoon's Rock?

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6459 on: February 21, 2011, 05:21:23 pm »

I believe there were some folks who could actually play the instruments and some that couldn't.  For most of the large orchestras, they got actual musicians to do it.  A lot of the actors probably couldn't play well, but had enough training that they looked like they knew what they were doing.  I believe that for a lot of the piano shots they got a professional to do the hands.

But, I don't believe any of it was stock footage.  In any case, all of the music was extremely well done and I found myself consistently moved and impressed.
Excellent, I'll have to see if I can find somewhere to watch this. It sounds fun.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6460 on: February 21, 2011, 08:11:25 pm »

God damn you people for referring me to Gun Slinger Girl.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6461 on: February 21, 2011, 08:14:13 pm »

Yet another series I'm going to have to check out later, but have too much as is.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6462 on: February 21, 2011, 09:25:38 pm »

On a whim, I began watching Jubei-chan. Surprisingly entertaining, even if I have trouble pointing out it's good qualities off the top of my head.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6463 on: February 21, 2011, 11:10:11 pm »

On a whim, I began watching Jubei-chan. Surprisingly entertaining, even if I have trouble pointing out it's good qualities off the top of my head.

^ Guilty pleasure.  Sadly.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6464 on: February 21, 2011, 11:12:35 pm »

I'm comfortable with that.
Pages: 1 ... 429 430 [431] 432 433 ... 2193